Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Titles, paperwork and all that shizz... (Read 81 times)
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Titles, paperwork and all that shizz...
06/03/13 at 18:31:48

Let me preface this by saying that I live in New York, which is affectionately known as "The Vampire State". We'll suck you dry!

This is a part 2 of a post I made early last month about a Savage thats been given to me by a friend. Finally got it in my driveway even though there's a lot of work ahead of me. However, thats for when I resurrect my old post with pics of this beast.

This post is about the paperwork. Basically, I have this neglected but otherwise decent bike but no paperwork to accompany it. There are a couple NYS inspection tags on it, one from 2003, another from 1992 (yikes Shocked). My friend has had the bike for 8 years or so. The tale as to how he acquired the bike complicates things. He was in Las Vegas with friends playing poker with some people, and apparently the stakes got pretty high when this guy put this bike up and lost it to my buddy. He didn't have any paperwork to go with it, but my buddy didn't care. Screw it, free bike!

The bike ran good for a while, then it got some of the "looks/sounds/feels like a carb issue but is probably a petcock issue" issues. Lacking the funds after throwing money into a carb rebuild, he said screw it and it sat under a tarp until I got it moved this afternoon.

So here's the nitty gritty: is there a "carfax" for bikes so I can get the low down on where this bike has been? If it was stolen (I'm hoping not), what do I do with it? Going to jail is not high on my list of priorities right now, so there's that to consider.

Thats a worst case scenario, and my buddy is 99.99% sure it isn't, so if it isn't stolen or anything like that, would I just fill out an application for a salvage title and go from there? It hasn't been registered since, well, 2003. I want to get this ironed out before I put any serious money into it just to find out that I wont be able to get it on the road legally.

This is going to be my first teardown/rebuild so any pointers would be appreciated.

2004, stock minus dyna exhaust
TheSavagePJ electrospector00   IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Re: Titles, paperwork and all that shizz...
Reply #1 - 06/03/13 at 18:48:42

Can't help you in NY as don't know what that state requires. In my state applying for a lost title is not that big of a deal. there are only a couple of hoops to jump through and they aren't that bad. Having a bill of sale does help.

Two years ago I got a title for a bare frame I bought on ebay.

You will have to find out from the DMV what can be done. I have heard of people registering a bike and getting a title from Vermont through the mail.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #2 - 06/03/13 at 19:09:48

You can try the link below to run the VIN number. If it comes back reflecting stolen or salvage, you can probably trust it. If it comes back showing nothing you may or may not be able to trust it.

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

Or if you're going to tear it down anyway, just snag a titled frame and do the swap. If you check out your friendly intnernet auction site there's one just 170 miles from you in New Jersey that appears to have a title, and with a buy-it-now price of $20. Best to confirm the title issue first with the seller. And go pick it up - don't have him ship it.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 06/03/13 at 19:30:44

A 2003 NYS inspection sticker MIGHT indicate that the bike was once registered in New York 'cause a legit inpection station won't issue a sticker without a registration. If that's the case you might be able to apply for a lost title and go from there. But motorcycle inspection records are not computerised like auto inspections are, so its still pretty easy to buy an illegal sticker for a bike. If the previous owner did that there might be no NY title.

Go to the NYSDMV web site and read up on salvage titles. You might decide it's not worth the trouble. In any case you'll still have to prove to the DMV that you are the real owner of the bike. If you don't have any paperwork at all - even a handwritten bill of sale from the guy you got the bike from, I think you might be screwed. Sad

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 21:16:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Titles, paperwork and all that shizz...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.