Taking cables off (Read 200 times)
sscala

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NY
Taking cables off
06/03/13 at 17:38:36

Hey all,

So I finally found a place to make my cables (throttle, clutch, brake).  Now how do I get the cables out.  I have no clue.  It looks as if the cables are running under the tank.  Do I have to take the tank off?  Any tips?

Thanks in advance Smiley

Stephen
2011 Suzuki S40
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Taking cables off
Reply #1 - 06/03/13 at 18:01:12

Yes... Huh...

Remember how they went... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
sscala

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NY
Reply #2 - 06/03/13 at 18:05:13

Lol well yes, that's the plan...just have to figure out how they come off haha

Stephen
2011 Suzuki S40
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/03/13 at 21:24:50

Youd be well advised to tie a heavy cord to the cable & pull the cord in as ytou ppull the cable out. That way you can tie onto the cable & pull it right back where it went.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #4 - 06/04/13 at 09:57:45

Hey, I'm in NY too, if you're not too far from my 10520 zip I'd be interested of finding a place that can make me cables locally. I may decide to put some apes on that thing.

IP Logged
sscala

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NY
Reply #5 - 06/04/13 at 14:54:12

I'm in LI. So that's about an hour and a half from me, which is close enough.  If I can find a local shop, that'd be great.  I also need help getting the old cables off.  I cannot figure it out.

Stephen
2011 Suzuki S40
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #6 - 06/04/13 at 15:54:52

The tank come off pretty easily, empty it, unhook speedo cable and hoses then tab goes under the seat. Would benefit you to get a Clymer manual. Once you unbolt the tank at the tab, the tank is free to move, dont pull hard then unclip the socket underneath where the speedo is hooked.

IP Logged
sscala

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NY
Reply #7 - 06/04/13 at 19:39:13

Thanks for the tips.  I'm going to get the Clymer manual.  I'm sure it will come in handy.

Stephen
2011 Suzuki S40
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #8 - 06/05/13 at 02:17:33

Hi SSCala, I could have SWORN I had replied yesterday, but somehow my post was never published...
Roll Eyes
Oh, well... here goes again !

1. Cables run through sheaths (or whatever you call them... sleeves to the English...) so make sure you grease up the sheath properly before you run the new cables through them! That way they will feed very smoothly and you will NOT need a cord or whatever as I read above...

2. If you plan on having new cables made (but why the rear brake, isn't it operated by a rod? Unless you have a rear set conversion...) I would advise on having new sheaths as well. They can be cut to measure and fitted with SS caps on each end.

3. If you plan on having new cables and sheaths, here's a classy suggesiton  Cool
Have your clutch sheath cut to measure, and run the cable in... THEN have the cable cut to measure and have a lug soldered to each end.
Feed the clutch cable assembly engine side first (from the clutch lever in the gearbox up to the handlebars) snap the two lugs in place and you're ready to go.

Have a spare made in exactly the same fashion, with extra lube (grease) inside, and coil it up in the toolbox or wherever.
This way, should the clutch cable ever snap you simply pop out the broken cable and old sheath, feed in the new cable as described  and you're ready to go!
Easy peasy, no grime, clean hands and no sweat at all!
BMW used this system with their pushrod airheads from the 1950's to the late 1990's...
Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 06/05/13 at 04:47:51

Mpescatori:

I believe the reason for the new cables is that the owner is installing handlebars/risers that will need longer cables.  He is wanting new throttle and clutch cables made.....both inner and outer as a set...complete....ready to bolt on.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1367861419/0#0

The rear brake is cable operated on the Savage......not a rod.  I don't believe the owner needs or wants a new rear brake cable.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/05/13 at 06:04:06

I learned a painful lesson when I was assigned the duty of replacing a "remotely operated" mirror on a car. The thing had a cable that went over by the driver, from there, all up under the dash & then into the door. I took it loose from the dash & from the door & pulled,, came out REaaaal Easy like,,, Then I started thinking about HOw the Heck am I gonna push that cable BACK thru all that mess???
Now, IF I hadda been thinking I woulda tied a stout piece of cord to the end, then I woulda just been set up to tie on & pull it back,,, But NOOOO,, I turned a 1 hour job into a 4 hour Hassle..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sscala

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NY
Reply #11 - 06/05/13 at 13:48:40

Mpescatori:

Thanks for the tips!  and Dave is correct,  I have new handlebars and just need new throttle and clutch and front brake and I want them ready to go when I get them.

Justin_o_guy2:

I dont think i need to run anything through tubes (unless I am wrong and have no clue what I am up against) but that is valuable information for when I need to replace a cable through a sheath, so thanks for the tips as well!!

ANDDDD

Just to be clear, I do have to remove the tank to replace the cables, correct?

Stephen
2011 Suzuki S40
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 06/05/13 at 14:12:00

sscala wrote on 06/05/13 at 13:48:40:
ANDDDD

Just to be clear, I do have to remove the tank to replace the cables, correct?

There's not much to it once you remove the tank.  The cables are held in place by a couple of cable ties.  pull a tab and they pop loose, thread the new cable in.

break a finger nail and take a look.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 06/05/13 at 17:03:42

NOPE,, My tip wont help you with cables IN sheaths,, MY tip will help you replace entire cables,,not parts, the whoooole shootin match,, YOUll leave a cord in exactky the track the cable ran... tie on, pull into place. If it snags, okay, youll at least know exactly where it was,.

IP Logged
sscala

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NY
Reply #14 - 06/05/13 at 18:56:08

YOU ARE ALL AWESOME.  I will be doing this on Saturday.

Stephen
2011 Suzuki S40
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 19:38:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Taking cables off

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.