Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Installing Raptor petcock (Read 298 times)
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Installing Raptor petcock
06/03/13 at 17:06:10

Ok, I've ordered the Raptor and have read fairly extensively here and viewed the three-part installation video on the poster's 2003 Savage and have a couple of questions. Is my 06 S40 different than his bike? He shows one vacuum hose and I'd swear I see two on my bike. Also, I noticed he didn't use a fuel filter, yet they seem to be highly recommended. Are there many here who've changed out the stock for the Raptor without the fuel filter without any noted issues later? Otherwise, the videos seem very useful and straightforward. Thanks.

A hundred years from now, none of this will matter.
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Re: Installing Raptor petcock
Reply #1 - 06/03/13 at 17:46:35

I have a raptor without an add on fuel filter. The raptor has its own filter like the stock petcock does. You only have one (1) vacuum line.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 06/03/13 at 17:58:00

If you are talking about the two hoses that come up from the carb and end just under the tank...and hook to nothing...those are vent lines and you just leave those alone.

There are two hoses on the stock vacuum petcock.  One is the vacuum line (spring wire wrapped) and one is the fuel line.  The smaller one (vacuum line) will no longer be used and it gets plugged at the carb on the passengers side (oops).....Right side of the bike.  The other one is on the left side and is the larger one, and it gets connected to the new Raptor petcock.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 06/03/13 at 18:05:19

I never used a filter...   6 years, 30k miles...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #4 - 06/04/13 at 08:12:44

I was able to put my Raptor on my 1998 Savage with no problem.  I had just 1 vacuum hose too.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #5 - 06/04/13 at 08:49:53

Raptor without any additional filter here too.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
DaveLKN
YaBB Newbies

Lake Norman NC
Reply #6 - 06/04/13 at 20:32:53

I just finished re-installing my tank/seat/etc after doing the Raptor swap about an hour ago. My '98 had to sit all last year, and when I tried to get it running this spring, no go. Petcock wouldn't open even with vacuum blocked- dead, no fuel flow etc etc.  Ordered Raptor, disassembled everything, pulled carb, found low speed jets plugged with hard gritty crap.  Dumped out the tank into a clear bucket and found a bit of rusty crap in the bottom, the finest of which apparently found its way to my carb.  Flushed it all out,installed new petcock, reassembled bike, and it cranks/idles/runs fine now.  Now for a state inspection, insurance, and tag renewal.

Perhaps I'll scout around for a new piece of fuel line and a decent inline filter for that 'belt & suspenders' peace of mind.

And BTW, hi, Toes!

1998 Savage LS650
1998 Marauder VZ800
member- Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club
  IP Logged
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 06/09/13 at 18:58:40

I just installed the Raptor yesterday without a hitch. To any newbies on this site with limited mechanical abilities I say if I can do it, you can do it. Between the pictures, instructions and videos on this site, it's a very easy modification. However, it made no noticeable difference in my hesitation issues sometimes noticed between first and third. Yet I'm still glad I swapped out something that stood a good possibility of causing me grief down the road. Thanks for all the help. I suppose the white spacer mod is next, but honestly, even after scanning and reviewing all the info here regarding this, I don't feel confident trying this one without help.

A hundred years from now, none of this will matter.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 06/10/13 at 03:16:46

Rembrandt wrote on 06/09/13 at 18:58:40:
Thanks for all the help. I suppose the white spacer mod is next, but honestly, even after scanning and reviewing all the info here regarding this, I don't feel confident trying this one without help.

If you want to network and find local SuzukiSavage members that can help......go to your personal settings and add your City and State so that it shows up in your posts.  Nobody will offer to help if they don't know where you live.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 01:32:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Installing Raptor petcock

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.