Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Driving light suggestions (Read 175 times)
pabywater
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Driving light suggestions
06/02/13 at 15:28:19

Interested in hearing about bad/good makes and models for our bike and bad/good locations. I'm thinking of adding two smaller lights in front to boost my visibility to cagers.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Driving light suggestions
Reply #1 - 06/02/13 at 15:37:18

You don't have much extra wattage in the charging system to add extra lights....or at least ones that are bright enough to aid in visibility.  You might be better off finding a better bulb or headlight.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/02/13 at 17:45:40

Being visible is more than having lites. YOu need to be aware of your Location. If youre at the end of a line of cars & someone is set up to turn left, BE VERY AWARE that theyre looking at the back bumper of the last CAR & are looking to turn left as soon as that last Car is clear, Unless they see YOU. This is when I use my "Flash to pass" button & flip it to high & back a few times. It does nothing if youre on high beam, I move back & forth across the lane some & make sure I have room to change lanes if its a multi lane.
If youre in Front of a long line, they may Hurry across.
I didnt just pull these events outta my, uhh, HAT! Yea, Hat,uh huh,, I read about the traffic situations in "Driver turned left across rider" collisions.
If youre approaching an intersection & at the road on your right someone is waiting to pull out, understand that if youre near the curb, youre doing everything you can to sneak up on them, Dont be there,,& if you see someone in that situation, LOOK at them, If they obviously never look at you, they didnt see you. Even IF they look at you, watch them & watch the top of the front tire. Its the quickest tattletale that theyre moving. The top of the tire moves at 2 times the speed of the car. Any markings above the axle move faster than the car,

Here, a Wave is more than just bein friendly

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 06/02/13 at 20:39:37

I don't know...with tech these days and led lights, i'd think there would be a possibiltiy of adding maybe a couple led's to improve visability.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/02/13 at 22:03:09

The only thing that will aid in visibility is to mount a minigun to your handlebars.   Cool

more lights just offer a bigger target.

now, brighter sure is hard to ignore.  even a cheap HID light will triple your brightness.

WWW   IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #5 - 06/03/13 at 06:50:34

If you do decide to go with running lights, get ones designed for 25watt bulbs. I have a Cobra light bar on my V Star that runs 25 watt bulbs and is plenty bright. Also make sure to wire them in so they shut off if you turn your high beam on.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
WytNyt
YaBB Newbies

On His Wyt Iron
Horse

NW Missouri
Reply #6 - 06/03/13 at 07:39:41

Hi Guys Smiley This is my first post and will do a proper interduction in the proper place. What I'm saving for and maybe you might like is called a "Photon Blaster" by Skene. There are a couple you tube videos on line for you to see how it works.

IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #7 - 06/04/13 at 07:06:42

i'm one of those annoying folks that runs a headlight modulator during the day:

http://www.comagination.com/modBike.htm

i believe it helps me to be seen.  i also try to wiggle when i see a car in a position to ignore me when pulling out, etc.  

** also wanted to add that i only run it when traffic is light.  when traffic is heavy, it's probably quite annoying to the guy right in front of me, so i shut it off by going back to my lowbeam.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 06/04/13 at 08:39:41

misterbbq wrote on 06/04/13 at 07:06:42:

i believe it helps me to be seen.  i also try to wiggle when i see a car in a position to ignore me when pulling out, etc.  

** also wanted to add that i only run it when traffic is light.  when traffic is heavy, it's probably quite annoying to the guy right in front of me, so i shut it off by going back to my lowbeam.

I don't have a problem with the headlight modulator....but I was on the interstate once and I had a Honda Goldwing behind me that had two big lights on each side of the headlight that flashed alternately.  That was really annoying after about 10 minutes of him being directly behind me, and I had to slow down and make him pass me.  Any more of those flashing lights in my rear view mirror and I thought I was going to have a seizure!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #9 - 06/04/13 at 08:47:52

Pabywater how about swapping over to an HID projector, you'll get greater visibility from others during the day, better light for you at night and reduce electric being used instead of taxing the electrical system more.  Smiley

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #10 - 06/04/13 at 15:40:12

Dave wrote on 06/04/13 at 08:39:41:
misterbbq wrote on 06/04/13 at 07:06:42:

Any more of those flashing lights in my rear view mirror and I thought I was going to have a seizure!

Or get your disco shoes on. Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 21:25:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Driving light suggestions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.