Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
My First Maintenance with my S40 (Read 361 times)
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Re: My First Maintenance with my S40
Reply #15 - 06/04/13 at 19:48:57

well Sad its already shipped so it will have to work. if not... $13 down the drain cause I am not paying to ship it back. Guess I shoulda checked here first guys. Lesson learned.

Thanks for the quick responses everyone!

Nick

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 06/05/13 at 15:39:14

Ive yet to hear of anyone walkin in the Yammyyhaw shop & getting the shaft. Just go buy one. Have it in your hands. Take the Zuki one in with you.. less than $30.00 & No Hassle

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #17 - 06/05/13 at 15:56:53

So after much searching in town, I finally found some washers at Radioshack. They had an assorted package. Getting tank off was kinda tricky but doable. Yes, the screws on top of the carb were hard but as long as youre careful no stripping. I went with 3 washers. When held next to stock spacer, 3 was half the thickness. Went on a little test ride (to make sure I had everything hooked back up mainly). Seemed a little more responsive after take off. I will ride a little longer tomorrow(if no rain) and play with it some more.

As for the afterfire, so far its gone. First time I shut it off after mod, I had let it idle for a while before killing it. When I returned home just a few seconds and turned off, nothing. So that is definitely nice. Still pops on decel if throttle is cut off

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #18 - 06/05/13 at 16:44:38

Decel pops are cool... with practice you will learn how to make music with them... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #19 - 06/06/13 at 15:46:29

Serowbot wrote on 06/05/13 at 16:44:38:
Decel pops are cool... with practice you will learn how to make music with them... Wink...
sure thing! Grin

Went on a 100 mile ride today and bike did good, not great, but definitely better in the midrange. Still lacking so will probably take at least another washer, if not two, off tomorrow and see how that works.

And heres a couple a pics:

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #20 - 06/06/13 at 15:56:55

I like pics I can look at them all day long.  Wink

IP Logged
TG
YaBB Newbies

3600 miles

Utah
Reply #21 - 06/25/13 at 14:33:55

I just bought mine on Amazon today. Only $16. It was $30+ and then changed overnight to $16. Had to jump on it. Not having problems with stock petcock yet, but don't want to let it get to that. Also want to make life easier when I take off gas tank.

Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Raptor-YFM660RT-Petcock-Switch/dp/B00B3SKAJY

I hope that's the right one.

2011, Emgo turn out, idle screw, white spacer, cone air filter, 150 main jet (Thanks Lancer!), seat lift, sissy bar, raptor petcock and fuel filter.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 06/25/13 at 15:19:33

TG wrote on 06/25/13 at 14:33:55:
I just bought mine on Amazon today. Only $16. It was $30+ and then changed overnight to $16. Had to jump on it. Not having problems with stock petcock yet, but don't want to let it get to that. Also want to make life easier when I take off gas tank.

Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Raptor-YFM660RT-Petcock-Switch/dp/B00B3SKAJY

I hope that's the right one.

I am not sure.......the correct Yamaha part number is:  5LP-24500-01-00

This is in the eBay listing you linked:

Manufacturer Part Number OCB082-52
OEM Part Number  5LP-24500-00-00

The pictures show the outlet is the machined brass part....and not the expanded tubing that the Yamaha part has.  If you don't see a factory Yamaha Box.....chances are it did not come from Yamaha and is not OEM.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #23 - 06/25/13 at 17:05:21

I don't know why its so hard to buy the right one.

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-5LP-24500-01-00.html

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
TG
YaBB Newbies

3600 miles

Utah
Reply #24 - 06/25/13 at 20:06:58

I was gonna buy from boats.net but wanted to get the free shipping on amazon since I was also buying headlight bulb, redline additive and a K&N oil filter. I noticed the OEM number had 00 instead of the 01, but was hoping that was just a glitch. I will find out in a week or so  Undecided

I want to ask but I don't want to sound stupid, but what does the expanded tubing look like in comparison to the machined brass part? I will look around to see if I can find an example, too.

2011, Emgo turn out, idle screw, white spacer, cone air filter, 150 main jet (Thanks Lancer!), seat lift, sissy bar, raptor petcock and fuel filter.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #25 - 06/25/13 at 21:22:02

It's a pic in this same thread...

Nick, what part of Arkansas? The "Going to See WD" thread in this section of the forum is only about 45 minutes from downtown Memphis. Bring your bike... we'll teach you how to wheelie it...  Did it to mine the day I bought it (unintentionally)... Grin Seriously, bring it over, Sept 14-21, you'll have some of the more modified engines on the board here, and the guys that built them. A solid week of riding, wrenching, shooting and goofing off...

Oh, you asked about a taller sissy bar... taller on the stock base (I have a full blacksmith shop and literally tons of steel/iron)... or do you prefer an older style chick stick... like my bike rocks...

You want odd Savage mods, I'm the guy to bring your scoot to...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #26 - 06/25/13 at 21:26:18

Order your Versy now, install it at the get together...

230-240# combined weight? I clear that on my own...  Shocked

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 06/26/13 at 04:38:52

TG wrote on 06/25/13 at 20:06:58:
I want to ask but I don't want to sound stupid, but what does the expanded tubing look like in comparison to the machined brass part? I will look around to see if I can find an example, too.

Here is a listing for a factory OEM petcock that shows a good photo and even an interactive view of the expanded tube.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-YFM660R-Raptor-660-2001-2005-FUEL-PETCOCK-GAS-...

Here is a listing that has good photos of a "copy" petcock that has the machined brass tube.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Raptor-660-Fuel-Gas-Petcock-Valve-Switch-Pump-...

The issue most times is that the replacement petcock  with the machined outlet is smaller - and the rubber fuel line is too big for the copy petcock.  You then either have to use a screw type clamp to force the fuel line to work - or you have to use a smaller fuel line and force it onto the larger carb nipple.

IP Logged
TG
YaBB Newbies

3600 miles

Utah
Reply #28 - 06/26/13 at 09:24:21

Thanks Dave for the links and the helpful info! Those photos make it clear which is the right choice; and I chose poorly.

Here is a link to a real nice 360 degree example of the right petcock.

http://arqspin.com/s/3ryiz1s9yglf2

I cancelled the order as soon as I could last night and I hope it works. Then I will order the right one. If the wrong one comes, I will try what you suggested to make it work. I was so sure of myself that I wouldn't be another victim of the "wrong petcock" issue. So cocky-ness and pride aren't all they're cracked up to be.

« Last Edit: 06/26/13 at 11:55:26 by TG »  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 06/26/13 at 09:49:34

Hey......Is it just me.....or do the inlet pipes and filter screens that go up inside the tank  look smaller in diameter on the copy petcock?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:36:37

General CategoryThe Cafe › My First Maintenance with my S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.