Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
My First Maintenance with my S40 (Read 361 times)
nickthe_human

Arkansas
My First Maintenance with my S40
06/02/13 at 14:59:27

So, I changed the oil and oil filter in my bike today. While the oil drained, I followed the very helpful how to in the Tech section on checking cam chain tensioner. Mine is right at 15mm. The bike has 7,658 miles. About 250-300 I've put on since I bought it a couple weeks ago. I saw a formula for figuring up how much longer I had but can't seem to find it now, but I'm pretty sure 17 or 18 mm is the general consensus on changing to a Versy. I will probably be doing that next oil change just to be safe. And I ended up going with the Rotella T Triple Protection 15w-40 listed in the Tech Section, as well.

So far I love the bike and have found this site very very helpful. I'm looking forward to doing some more mods soon. I think the white spacer mod will help my bike immensely! Just have to make time to do it.

Be safe and have fun,
Nick

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: My First Maintenance with my S40
Reply #1 - 06/02/13 at 17:29:26

Welcome NIck, Yea, doin yer own maintenance is the only way to go.
Good goin, keep an eye on that thing & yea, the Versy is the single most valuable mod I can think of to make. It will keep your bike alive. If the chain lets the adjuster guts pop out, it is often an engine killer. Dead. Never to be resurrected. After that, you can pull mods that are fun,,
Right now, if I was gonna chase anyones path down that road, Id hafts look at the fella who is gettin nearly 60MPG,, Dammit,, name escapes me right now,,
Of course, some of the older ( I mean Long Term members) guys have some seriously Hot setups, well,, Hot is relative,, Its a Savage, never to be seen smokin a tire leavin the line,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 06/02/13 at 17:57:26

Hey Nick glad to hear that you are enjoying riding and wrenching on your bike   Cheesy

I just did the white spacer mod this past Friday, just popped the tank off and did it from the top of the carb. Was much easier then I thought it would be, took maybe 20 minutes with the Raptor petcock (easy off tank with it)   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 06/02/13 at 19:37:41

Whenever you start making changes, take notes and make only one change at a time. I tried the "white spacer mod" on mine, and the only effect I was able to notice was a decrease of about 10% in gas mileage. The afterfire (backfire) didn't change noticeably, and I believe that is because the "white spacer mod" affects midrange while the afterfire happens when the throttle is closed on overrun. I put the white spacer back in and my gas mileage returned to what it had been. If you feel like it you can dig through the notes on my Fuelly entries and see for yourself.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 06/02/13 at 20:17:51

The advice on "One change at a time" is pure wisdom.
If youre tuning a radio ya dont go spinnin more than one knob at a time./.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #5 - 06/02/13 at 20:54:22

Thanks for the responses guys. Yes, the one at a time thing is pure gold. I am usually good at that  Embarrassed . Better these days.

I would love for the after fire to disappear but the big reason is power. I have excellent take off from idle, but there is a gap of no power after that so I end up throttling harder to get past that spot. I have been riding it with the choke out due to its cold nature the past couple days on short runs and have noticed no backfire when shifting and decel. So I am hoping the mod will help that problem.

And yea, after that maybe some fun mods. So far i've just reversed the risers and turned the idle mixture screw out to 2 and 1/4. I am looking at shortening the shocks. That one looks cool. My wife and I are light, 230-240 together, so should be ok. Also want to get some bullet style no stem turn signals and new brake light/license plate holder to remove all the bulk under the rear fender.

Anyone put a tall old school chopper sissy bar in place of the stock one on their bike?

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 06/02/13 at 21:05:05

Talk to WD about that,,

IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #7 - 06/04/13 at 10:00:28

I apologize if this should be a RSD question, but I looked in town for some nylon or neoprene #4 washers (before I got my bike disassembled only to have to find out I didn't have the right stuff to fix it) and I can't find them! I tried Home Depot and local Ace Hardware. I looked online and can order a 10 pack from HD for $0.42 ....plus $5 shipping. Sad Does it have to be nylon or a plastic, or can I use metal or zinc washers?

I also just ordered a Raptor for less than 15 shipped(had one for 8.88 but was going to take over 2 weeks to ship...i'm impatient) So I should be able to swap petcock and do spacer mod at same time...if I can find some spacers/washers.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 06/04/13 at 10:23:12

Ill bet a cold beer on the back porch youre gettin the wrong one.

IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #9 - 06/04/13 at 11:45:50

Justin, are you meaning the petcock? This is the one I ordered: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2004-2003-2002-2001-Yamaha-Raptor-660-Fuel-Gas-P...
It says its for a Raptor 660. I sure hope its the right one. Undecided

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 06/04/13 at 12:40:12

nickthe_human wrote on 06/04/13 at 11:45:50:
Justin, are you meaning the petcock? This is the one I ordered: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2004-2003-2002-2001-Yamaha-Raptor-660-Fuel-Gas-P...
It says its for a Raptor 660. I sure hope its the right one. Undecided

(JOG.....Get your beer drinking slippers on!)

NickyNickNick......

That is a cheap Chinese copy....plastic screens instead of brass tubes, and the outlet is the smaller one.  It will probably work....but is not the original that we recommed you buy.

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-5LP-24500-01-00.html
http://www.ronayers.com/Search/N/687/Criteria/5LP-24500-01-00&adv=5&kw..

The original vacuum petcock and the OEM Raptor 660 petcock.  Notice how the fuel outlet on the Raptor is a metal tube that is flared....and not machined like the chinese copy.  The Yamaha part has a larger outlet that the chinese copy....and that outlet size matches the orignal one used on the Savage.  If you use the chinese one....you willlhave to install a smaller hose or use a screw type clamp to get the orignal hose to seal.

IMG_0331.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 06/04/13 at 14:16:36

Thing is in the pic above...notice how the fuel line is lower than the original petcock. I had to shim my tank with like 3 thick washers to raise it up to and get my fuel out line from the petcock not to hit the choke knob.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 06/04/13 at 14:23:45

I didn't have to do that. My fuel line did not interfere with the choke knob.  But I did not get a copy from ebay. I got a 5LP-24500-01-00 from one of the on-line dealers.  Smiley

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 06/04/13 at 14:41:50

old_rider wrote on 06/04/13 at 14:16:36:
Thing is in the pic above...notice how the fuel line is lower than the original petcock. I had to shim my tank with like 3 thick washers to raise it up to and get my fuel out line from the petcock not to hit the choke knob.

Me either........the Yamaha Raptor petcock fist just fine.

IMG_0334_001.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #14 - 06/04/13 at 15:47:15

Me either. Worked fine for me too.  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print