Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Removing Gas Tank. (Read 154 times)
Dodgeman
YaBB Newbies

Wallaceburg Ontario, Canada
Removing Gas Tank.
06/02/13 at 11:51:34

On a 2006 S-40 Boulevard, how does one take the tank off,  to get at the spark plug?  The stock petcock doesn't really shut the gas off, right? The owners manual isn't the clearest. I know that some on here have done it, and might be willing to give me some insight on how it should be done.  Thanks in advance!! Wink

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Removing Gas Tank.
Reply #1 - 06/02/13 at 12:13:07

Yes, the stock petcock does stop the fuel flow.  However......most of the time you cannot get the tank off without removing the stock petcock....as the back of the vacuum portion of the petcock hits the frame and keeps you from getting the tank off.  That is part of the charm of switching over to the Raptor petcock.....you can take the tank off without draining the tank.

The process is:

Remove the seat - two bolts on each side, and the once piece seat also has an allen bolt at the rear top.
Remove the 2 bolts in the back of the tank, which also is the place the seat slides into a the front of the seat.
Disconnect the vacuum hose to the carb/petcock.
Disconnect the fuel hose from the petcock to the carb.
Disconnect the speedometer cable at the engine.
Lay a thick towel where the seat used to be.
See if you can lift the rear of the tank and get the petcock to clear the frame.(If not.......drain the tank by switching to the PRIME position and running the fuel into a gas can....then take out two screws and remove the petcock.  There will be a small amount of gas spilled in this process, have some rags ready).
Lift the back of the tank clear of the frame and up a few inches.
Pull the tank back a little bit to clear the front mounts.
Tip the front of the tank up while resting the back on the towel.
With your 3rd arm.....disconnect the electrical connection for the speedometer.
The tank is loose.......set it down someplace safe.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dodgeman
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 06/02/13 at 12:27:09

Thanks Dave, for taking the time to reply to my posting.  One other question, what is the off position on the stock petcock?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/02/13 at 12:36:30

I was always able to pull the tank w/o pulling the [petcock, but not w/o the petcock scraping some paint off the frame. I lift the rear of the tank AND slide it back a bit till the petcock hits the frame, then, I give the tank a Slap on the right side & pull back & up with the left hand at the same time, Itll go,, Goin back is easier,,
I did drain & pull the petcock the first few times, but, it became a burden, so, I decided to try a more direct method.
Yes I Was "always able to pull the tank" I just didnt know it,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 06/02/13 at 12:58:00

I think they are all a little different. I was not able to get the tank off my 2011 without removing the petcock. I was always taught that if something would not come off or go back together not to force it but find out the reason. I now have a raptor. Smiley

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #5 - 06/02/13 at 13:00:16

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/02/13 at 12:36:30:
I was always able to pull the tank w/o pulling the [petcock, but not w/o the petcock scraping some paint off the frame.

+1  Smiley

IP Logged
Dodgeman
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 06/02/13 at 14:36:39

Thanks!  But what is the off position on the stock petcock??

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #7 - 06/02/13 at 15:03:21

apache snow-FSO wrote on 06/02/13 at 12:58:00:
I now have a raptor. Smiley

+1  Smiley

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 06/02/13 at 15:04:36

Every thing is off with the exception of purge. The on and reserve positions are vacuum operated and do not work unless the engine is running. Smiley

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
RC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quartz Hill Ca.
Reply #9 - 06/02/13 at 15:41:59

Drain the tank remove the stock petcock, place it gently in the nearest trashcan, remove the tank do what you need to do, install a raptor 660 petcock and next time the job will be easy.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #10 - 06/02/13 at 15:52:00

RC wrote on 06/02/13 at 15:41:59:
Drain the tank remove the stock petcock, place it gently in the nearest trashcan, remove the tank do what you need to do, install a raptor 660 petcock and next time the job will be easy.

Couldn't have said that any better.  Wink

IP Logged
Dodgeman
YaBB Newbies

Reply #11 - 06/02/13 at 16:59:49

Thanks a lot people!!  I wonder what site some of you have dealt with, how reputable they are?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 06/02/13 at 17:56:33

I havent seen anyone get too screwed walkin into a Yamaha shop.
Its real easy to get one for a 250 or somethin & the flow rate sux or theres some hassle,, why not support the local shop & spend $5.00 more than some online outfit?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #13 - 06/02/13 at 18:29:46

Dodgeman wrote on 06/02/13 at 11:51:34:
On a 2006 S-40 Boulevard, how does one take the tank off,  to get at the spark plug?....

You're presuming that the tank has to come all of the way off in order to access the spark plug.

Not true (at least on mine - see my signature block)!

Here's what I do:

1.  Remove the seat.

2.  Remove the two bolts from the rear of the fuel tank.

3.  Remove all lines (fuel and vacuum (if you still have one)) from the petcock.

4.  Move the fuel tank back a bit, then prop up the rear of the tank with a short section of 4" X 4".  This will keep the tank out of your way.

5.  Remove the port chrome beauty cover.

6. Slap a wobble adapter onto your 3/8" drive ratchet.  Pop an 18mm deep-well socket on the adapter and you've now got access to the spark plug.

Note that, when using this method, I do not have to disconnect the speedo cable or the electrical connector.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #14 - 06/02/13 at 19:46:19

My fuel tank comes off without too much trouble. It just has to be pushed to the left a bit so the stock petcock clears the frame, although it might scratch the paint. Leave the petcock in ON, and with the engine off the fuel flow is stopped.

Your results might be different, but the first time I removed the spark plug was during the 11000 mile service. Had I not already bought a new plug, I'd have put the old one back in and forgotten about it for another 20000 miles. It looked virtually new, with clean sharp edges on both electrodes and no fouling.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 21:34:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing Gas Tank.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.