Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exhaust mounting bracket w/Dyna, stripped rubber.. (Read 69 times)
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Exhaust mounting bracket w/Dyna, stripped rubber..
06/02/13 at 07:58:52

I've been rocking the Dyna exhaust for about 500 miles without an issue, that is until my last ride when the exhaust detached from the header pipe, almost completely. I rigged it up with bailing wire to get her home. Upon getting home, I realize that the rubber grommet that sits in the exhaust mount hole was degraded and falling out. My guess is the combination of the heat with the tension of the bolt was too much and made it fail.

Now I have a large 1'' or so hole where the Dyna needs to mount up. I was thinking about using the rubber from the other unused hole, but I think that will only be temporary. Any solutions that don't involve a welder and a bunch of money, I have neither.  Undecided

2004, stock minus dyna exhaust
TheSavagePJ electrospector00   IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Re: Exhaust mounting bracket w/Dyna, stripped rubb
Reply #1 - 06/02/13 at 08:19:05

Go to Lowes or Home Depot.  They have a pretty decent selection of rubber grommets.  Even if you can't find one that works, you can get a large rubber stopper and cut it to fit.

Make sure to use the metal spacer bushing that was in the middle of the grommet.  How do you have your muffler lined up with the header?  Did you use an exhaust adapter, or did you shim the muffler to the proper alignment angle?

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Reply #2 - 06/02/13 at 08:29:14

I had the exhaust shimmed to the right angle... I have thought about getting a bracket fabbed so I can put this problem to bed permanently but that will probably cost more money than I can spend right now (unemployed). I'll think I'll try the rubber stopped idea.

2004, stock minus dyna exhaust
TheSavagePJ electrospector00   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 06/02/13 at 09:32:21

Mine is hard mounted, metal to metal... if you to keep the rubber, put a big flat washer behind it...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #4 - 06/02/13 at 09:57:33

+1 to Serow.  I kept the rubber on mine, but it's shimmed with several large washers.  It's pretty solid! Wink

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/02/13 at 10:10:06

Id guess the grommet wasnt supported well. As Rowboat said, if you wanna keep the grommet in there, make sure the rubber isnt carrying the load of keeping the bolt in. Use a wide enough washer,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 21:23:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust mounting bracket w/Dyna, stripped rubber..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.