Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chasing an electrical bug; an oil gremlin appears! (Read 91 times)
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Chasing an electrical bug; an oil gremlin appears!
06/01/13 at 20:12:16

This morning I took the bike out of the garage and went to start her up.  All the lights came on, but I got the repeated solenoid click of a weak battery.  "No problem," I thought.  "I'll be riding plenty long enough to charge the battery a bit; I'll just push start it."  I did so and was on my way.  It did leave me wondering why it would be low, though.  The last time I had ridden my bike was Monday, and that was 200 mile ride.

I rode for about 6 miles, making sure to keep the RPM's up to help with charging.  I stop, pay my rent, and go to be off on my way when CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK.  OK...  I was going to get the bike inspected today, but I guess I'll just ride her back home and look into it there.  I push start it, and I make it about 3 miles before it starts to bog down during acceleration.  I pull over and let it idle.  Any acceleration from there, and the bike would bog.  I killed it, and as soon as the engine died, so did the all of the lights.  Sad

Long story short, I get it home, take the battery out, and put it on my trickle/float charger.  (At this time, I'll mention that I have an AGM mini battery installed rated at 6AH and 130CC that's had no problem over the past year.)  After that, I took the battery to Batteries+ to have it load tested, where they confirmed it was fine.  So I reinstall the battery and decide to check out my charging system just in case.

THIS IS WHERE I THINK IT'S WEIRD:  So I try the load test suggested by the Clymer's.  I let the bike run until she's nice and warm, and I hook my multi-meter up to the battery's pigtail.  Flip on the high beam, and approximate 5K+ RPM by ear.  The book says indicated battery voltage should be between 14.0V - 15.5V.  With RPM's up it wouldn't get above 13.6, but when RPM's were back down, it would show 14.08.  This got me confused.  My next step was to do the no-load test, but I was quickly distracted by this: Shocked Shocked

I guess you could say I'm environmentally irresponsible.  When I put on my cone filter, I just routed the crankcase vent hose down under the engine.  Still, why would SO MUCH oil come out?  I was only running like this for... 1, maybe 2 minutes?  I'd estimate it was about 3/4 throttle.

So to summarize my questions:  Why did so much oil come out?  And Why was my batter already dead?  Should I still do my no-load test?

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Chasing an electrical bug; an oil gremlin appe
Reply #1 - 06/02/13 at 00:38:55

I wouldn't worry about oil... it's probably normal blow-by... that you are noticing now because you are revving the tar out of it sitting still...
Not something you normally do... Grin...
You'll probably blue your pipe as well... that won't mean anything either...

Focus on the voltage problem... the rest will likely go away when you start riding normally again...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 06/02/13 at 04:15:20

LOL Lavis I like the "sense of urgency" in the picture with your hand there   Grin    Reroute the vent hose and get a breather when you get a chance, +1 to Serow don't sweat it till you get the electrical gremlins hunted down  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/02/13 at 06:39:52

It wouldn't surprise me either is a lot of that oil....is actually mixed with water vapor from revving an engine that was not really warmed up.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #4 - 06/02/13 at 07:28:58

Word!  Cheesy  This is what I was hoping for, but that seemed like a lot of blowby to me for just a minute or two.  Dave, I had her running for about half an hour before I started, and I don't mean just sitting there idling by herself.  FWIW, I was just adding my hand to give a general size reference.

Anybody have any ideas on why the voltage would display that way during the load test?  I'm fairly good about following procedures in the book, but I haven't troubleshot a bike charging system before.  I'll try to get to the no-load test today, but I have plans with the wife today.  Those were supposed to happen yesterday, until I got stuck 4 miles from home with a dead battery.

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 06/02/13 at 08:52:54

Sounds like you're having the same troubles as this guy...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1369768822

we're going to try swapping out the rectumfryer today.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 06/02/13 at 10:12:27

HondaLavis wrote on 06/02/13 at 07:28:58:
Anybody have any ideas on why the voltage would display that way during the load test?

This is odd,... but I'm having the same problem,.. doubled...
I have one bike in storage that wasn't charging, so I replaced the stator,(AC output was in single digits on all three taps)... but, when I fixed it, DC voltage at the battery would still read 14+ at idle, then drop to the 12's as rpm went up...
Now,... my regular bike has a dead battery... it was 11.6v, so I charged it for 4 hrs and got 12.4v but it still barely cranked the engine and dropped to 11.4v under stater load instantly... (new battery on order)...
I jumped it, and checked ouput... it reads 14v+ at idle and drops as rpm increases.. same as the other bike...

I was thinking that that reduction was a function of the rectifier... reducing the voltage as the amperage increased...(what do I know)...
That's what I'm hoping... or else I may need two rectumfriers...

Man,.. I hate electrics... Huh...

Can anyone give an example of a good working charging system?... Voltage at the battery at idle, and as rpm raises?....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 06/02/13 at 10:13:59

YOu wear a ring & a watch while you wrench? I gave up on those things years ago. never wear one, my watch hangs on a belt loop ( as designed to, from Kohls) & I havent worn a ring in so many years I cant even guess how many,, LOts of ways for a ring to get a guy in a bind,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #8 - 06/02/13 at 11:35:00

Justin, NO, I don't wear them WHILE I'm wrenching.  I'm an aviation mechanic, and I've seen too many stories and pictures of guys "de-gloving" their fingers climbing up or down on aircraft.  When I took this picture, I had decided I was done for the time being. I put my tools away, put on my watch and ring to account for them, and took the picture.  Then I just cleaned up the oil and rolled her inside - taking care to avoid the wet spot.

Serow - from what I've seen before I would think your regulator or rectifier to be at fault.  I'm just at a loss on mine because my voltage doesn't DROP as RPM's increase.  It goes up, levels off below 14 as I hold steady throttle for several seconds, and when I release the throttle voltage peaks at 14.08 or so, then returns to normal idle voltage.

I might play with it tonight, but tomorrow morning I leave for a 2 week exercise out in the desert of Fort Bliss.  Yeah, flying in the heat...   Roll Eyes  I'll be on once in a while, but I might not be troubleshooting for a while.

EDIT:

Reading my original post, I see I wasn't perfectly clear about my voltage output.  At Idle, it's right around 13.  Increase RPM's and V increases, but not to 14.  Decrease RPM's, and as it approaches idle reading will peak above 14.  Then it will return to normal idle RPM's.  Now, when I hooked up my multi-meter, I used alligator clips to connect the leads to the pigtail I installed for the charger.  I don't think this would change the reading...  would it?  I may check resistance across those later to see if it's enough to affect the outcome...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 06/02/13 at 12:38:38

Justin, NO, I don't wear them WHILE I'm wrenching.  I'm an aviation mechanic, and I've seen too many stories and pictures of guys "de-gloving" their fingers climbing up or down on aircraft.  When I took this picture, I had decided I was done for the time being. I put my tools away, put on my watch and ring to account for them, and took the picture.  Then I just cleaned up the oil and rolled her inside - taking care to avoid the wet spot.

Justin, NO, I don't wear them WHILE I'm wrenching.

Thats a comfort..

taking care to avoid the wet spot.

Borderline TMI there dude..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 21:20:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chasing an electrical bug; an oil gremlin appears!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.