Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Headligh observation and question (Read 195 times)
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Headligh observation and question
06/01/13 at 08:56:11

I haven't been doing much night riding until the last few weeks when it got warm enough at night.

The low beam on the headlight is terrible!  My cheap 50cc chinese scooter has a much better headlight.  I almost think I would see farther ahead with a flash light.

The high beam is great.

How do you guys deal with this?  Is there anything that can be done? The low beam is short and fat, hits the road real close in front.  The high shines way down the road and lights things up really well.

Should I just snag one of my honda headlights and figure out how to mount it?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Headligh observation and question
Reply #1 - 06/01/13 at 09:06:45

...or, just adjust your highbeam so that it's not blinding oncoming traffic and ride with the highbeam...
Huh...

I don't ride a night much, but when I do, I'm usually on high...
Daytime,.. I'm always on high... the lowbeam can't be seen at all in full sun...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #2 - 06/01/13 at 09:58:03

Seems like these days, night's about the only time I have to ride.  Too much going on most other times.

I was looking at replacement bulbs the other day at advance auto.  They sure are proud of those silverstar and especially silverstar ultra bulbs.

Serow, sounds like from the weather forecast you posted the other day, night is about the only time it will be comfortable for you to ride.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
CaramelQT

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

RI
Reply #3 - 06/01/13 at 15:44:32

Are you running the stock bulb?  I upgraded mine about 3 years back to a brighter Sylvania one & it was much better.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #4 - 06/01/13 at 16:57:41

Yea I didn't care for the stock headlight at all, I went to a larger bucket with a clear lens last year and that helped a lot. I got the larger bucket looking to eventually add an HID projector which I just purchased and will install the coming week hopefully   Smiley

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 06/02/13 at 03:52:16

The Silverstar bulbs help....but they are expensive and last about 1/10th the life of a standard bulb.  Depending on how much your ride that may be acceptable....and may just be too expensive.  I am not sure how well the Silverstar bulbs handle the vibration....I believe Ralfguy (or Routy?) has gotten pretty good life out of a Silverstar.

One of the member on this site bought a used headlight for a C50 or S50 that he claimed helped.  Look on eBay or the salvage sites.....you want the one with two mounting bolts on the bottom of the headlight mount.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 06/02/13 at 09:57:28

If the S50 still uses the old VS800 Intruder headlight, it is the exact same part as a Savage light. Plastic junk.

Get a side mount 7" bucket, lens, mounting ears etc and be done with it. I run the same one on my Savage that I had converted my VN800A to when I had it. Infinitely adjustable, you'll find exactly the right spot with it. And, if you mount it high like mine is, it improves the line of the bike versus the stock low mounted sucked in tight farce of a headlight.

Just my .5 cent (adjusted for inflation)... Roll Eyes

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #7 - 06/03/13 at 14:59:17

Are there any power draw issues with these bigger lights? How much watt or amp wiggle room do we have?

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 06/03/13 at 15:02:02

7"er's usually take the same H4 bulb,.. they just have a bigger reflecting bucket... so they pull the same...
If I rode a lot at night, I'd probably get me one...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #9 - 06/04/13 at 05:21:08

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  Looks like there's not a lot of hope for the stock light other than a brighter bulb.  Probably do that for now.

Pondering the possibilities on changing to a 7 inch light.  That sounds like probably the ultimate fix to get a decent amount of light on the road.

Now where to source a 7" light and what/who's light makes a good one to go on the savage?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 06/04/13 at 06:45:58

I was going to use this one from Dime City.....along with their brackets.
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-choppe...

It looks like they are sold out at the moment....but they usually restock pretty fast at Dime City.  IT comes with a 35/35 Watt, but you could probably upgrade to the 55/65W bulb.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 06/04/13 at 07:57:28

Bucket is an Emgo, I think they call it either a Lucas or Bates replica...

Mounted like this...

Originally on this bike to replace a substandard small bottom mount...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #12 - 06/04/13 at 10:04:02

Dave wrote on 06/04/13 at 06:45:58:
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-choppe...

It looks like they are sold out at the moment....but they usually restock pretty fast at Dime City.  IT comes with a 35/35 Watt, but you could probably upgrade to the 55/65W bulb.

DON"T DO IT! my friend got that exact light from DCC for his xs650 and it is JUNK. The lens is plastic  Huh, low beam is a dim yellow and high is not very bright either. he gave me his old xs 7 inch sealed beam for my GL1000 cafe and it is bright enough to set roadside brush on fire.

I think the OP may need to adjust the headlight up some. the stock light tends to sag after some time as the springs get weak.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 06/04/13 at 11:05:01

groupus wrote on 06/04/13 at 10:04:02:
Dave wrote on 06/04/13 at 06:45:58:

DON"T DO IT! my friend got that exact light from DCC for his xs650 and it is JUNK. The lens is plastic  Huh, low beam is a dim yellow and high is not very bright either. he gave me his old xs 7 inch sealed beam for my GL1000 cafe and it is bright enough to set roadside brush on fire.

I think the OP may need to adjust the headlight up some. the stock light tends to sag after some time as the springs get weak.

Good to know.........Nobody likes junk!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 06/04/13 at 11:16:14

The retailer needs this kinda stuff sent to them.. marketing people Watching their store get torn down for selling crap is a great way to drive improvement,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:32:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › Headligh observation and question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.