ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Re: Grappa.
Reply #15 - 05/31/13 at 18:35:30

apache snow-FSO wrote on 05/30/13 at 19:15:41:
Was Strawberry Hill. It would make you walk backwards and speak in strange tongues. Shocked

Used to buy Boones Farm Apricot Splash by the case. That,along with a quart of Makers Mark and a case of Miller would last me a holiday weekend. Well.....me and a lady guest that is Wink . Never walked backwards but we sure spoke some exotic languages Lips Sealed

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 06/02/13 at 09:18:35

When I saw Grappa in the subject line....I figured we were going to hear a story about your grandkids!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #17 - 06/02/13 at 13:31:22

Wine of any sort all tastes like vinegar to me.  Last night my daughter did a really good job of fixing some walleye that her hubby and I caught a couple of weeks ago.  She put it in an egg wash, then some bread crumbs with spices of some sort, then sautéed it in a pan with olive oil.  Yummy.
But, she served some sort of white wine, and I woke up at 2:30 this morning needing Pepcid to put out the belly ache from the wine.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #18 - 06/02/13 at 14:10:36

You might think about getting checked out for an ulcer, or an allergy.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #19 - 06/02/13 at 14:17:52

I have what's called Peptic dysphasia, and have had it since college, 45 years ago.  Back then I could barely eat a small pizza without my belly being on fire.
Now, it's almost totally gone - I'll eat Mexican tonight with no problem, but any kind of wine sets it off.  Thankfully, Scotch doesn't.
Thanks for the concern, though.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #20 - 06/04/13 at 00:30:44

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 06/02/13 at 14:17:52:
I have what's called Peptic dysphasia, and have had it since college, 45 years ago.  Back then I could barely eat a small pizza without my belly being on fire.
Now, it's almost totally gone - I'll eat Mexican tonight with no problem, but any kind of wine sets it off.  Thankfully, Scotch doesn't.
Thanks for the concern, though.

Sorry to read of your ailment. It has nothig to do with the wine, but with your system.

The yellow highlight makes me think alcohol isn't a problem, but sugars and tannin are.

My blue highlight also makes me think you may have an issue with some natural acids.

What about mayonnaise ? Hard boiled eggs ?

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #21 - 06/04/13 at 00:42:48

groupus wrote on 05/31/13 at 09:21:07:
Grappa is gross. Kinda reminds me of black liquoice. I work at a fine restaurant as my second job and they serve it as a digestivo (drink at the end of the meal). I think we carry that Moscato. They serve it in a tulip glass, which is about 2 oz.

I don't understand fine dining. Why would I want to spend $200 on spare parts like goose liver, snails, and monkey brains (seriously, think Indiana Jones Temple of Doom) and wash it down with a $20 shot of fermented butt? I could spend that money on so many motorcycle parts!  Cheesy

I've tried a lot of the more expensive wines there and I still prefer mine out of a box.

I'll take your first comment as an insult, thank you very much.
Grappa is the traditional Mediterranean liqueur, whether it's called grappa or graspa or aquavit. Or raki (Greece).  Or Yeni Raki (Turkey).
The only other Mediterranean traditional liqueur is made from aniseed, so that you will find it called "Anės" in France, "Anice" or "Sambuca" in Italy,
"Raki" in Turkey (without the "Yeni") or "Arak" in Arabic speaking Countries.

Neither belong to the traditional US culture because your culture is North European...
...so there you go with Whiskies of all sorts, or vodka distilled from grains.

We eat grains, you distill them.

Northern Europe is too cold and doesn't have the required sunlight for grapes to grow, so that you lack this fruit.

But to define grappa as gross is like defining scotch whiskey as gross.

Talisker or Laphroaig... gross?  Huh

Your other comment means you, to my eyes, either don't understand or don't deserve your second job... like a vegetarian working in a butchery.

Please define "fermented butt"...  Tongue

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 06/04/13 at 01:01:20

Grappas What is Grappa? Grappa is brandy made from pomace. Pomace is the pressed skins and seeds of grapes - a winemaker's leftovers.

Ahhh! Now I get it,, Its the bologna of Booze!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #23 - 06/04/13 at 01:29:18

C'mon, JOG...

Brandy is distilled from wine... you should know that.

Grappa is made form the leftover pulp, after you're done pressing the grapes.

Grappa can be sharp and harsh, or very mellow and sweet, it all depends on the type of grapes and when they were picked and how much of the little branches are actually allowed in the press.

Overall, grappa can and will be just as mellow as most blended whiskeys.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 06/04/13 at 02:03:49

Hey,, I LIKE Bologna,, awwrite?

I dont Care that its made from the stuff left over after the wine makers are done,, heck NO,, It would be silly to let all that go to waste. Id try it,. IM not gonna go BUY any,, but if I was somewhere & someone said "Hey, you wanna shot O this?" Id try it,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #25 - 06/04/13 at 04:14:46

In my opinion the best vodka is made from potatoes, the second best from corn.
The rest is good for mixing in drinks. Wink

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #26 - 06/04/13 at 06:22:53

Hey, we got rot gut wine as well. Theres Thunderbird, MD 20/20, Wild Irish Rose, Night Train Express, Cisco Red, and others too terrible to mention. All a winos delight.

Then there are wines from the past that no longer exist that bring tears to a wino's eyes. Red Ripple, Boones Farm. Annie Green springs, and Balli Hai, With Pagan Pink Ripple being at the top of the list. May you rest in peace. Smiley

If I left out some ones favorite I apologize, I don't want to offend any self respecting winos. Wink

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #27 - 06/04/13 at 06:46:08

Don't forget "Pigswill"...

Brewed right by where I lived, only made a small quantity at any time because it would go sour faster than average...

But then when word got out that another batch was at the local Pub, time never went by so quickly !

Grin Grin Grin

PS There was "Blue Nun" as well, but I could never muster the courage to drink any of that stuff...  Tongue

...garbage... Lips Sealed

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #28 - 06/04/13 at 08:48:02

Here in London Ontario we have one of Canada's oldest breweries- Labatts. Their biggest seller is something called "Blue", a kind of lager.
Because we are a college town this awful stuff sells well, as we all know college kids have no taste, and will drink anything. Since all the small breweries appeared, which make much better beer, the only reason Labatts or Molson sell anything is because of all the advertising they do.
They used to make a seasonal stout, which was very good, but they quit making it for some reason.
My youngest son considers himself to be a "connoisseur of the brew" and brings over some very obscure and very good beers from time to time.  Smiley
When I was a teen we used to make "three week wine" from Welches grape juice, brewers yeast and sugar. Put it together in a gallon jug and set it on the furnace for three weeks. There were three of us doing this so we had a fresh jug every Saturday night. Then we graduated to London Still Rose, $1.65 a bottle (again made locally). We made moonshine once, but nearly killed ourselves drinking too much of it, so we never did it again. Shocked
When I was in college an Italian friend's dad made home made grappa.
It was about 75% alcohol and he gave a 54 oz bottle to his son. He and his roommate drank about 1/3 the bottle one night. He passed out while standing up and hit his head, giving himself a concussion, so he gave the rest to me. I took it to a couple of friend's place and the last thing I remember was drinking some of it- the next thing I remember is that it was the next day and I was staggering down Bloor St in Toronto several miles from my house.  Embarrassed

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #29 - 06/04/13 at 09:03:12

mpescatori wrote on 06/04/13 at 00:42:48:
groupus wrote on 05/31/13 at 09:21:07:
Grappa is gross. Kinda reminds me of black liquoice. I work at a fine restaurant as my second job and they serve it as a digestivo (drink at the end of the meal). I think we carry that Moscato. They serve it in a tulip glass, which is about 2 oz.

I don't understand fine dining. Why would I want to spend $200 on spare parts like goose liver, snails, and monkey brains (seriously, think Indiana Jones Temple of Doom) and wash it down with a $20 shot of fermented butt? I could spend that money on so many motorcycle parts!  Cheesy

I've tried a lot of the more expensive wines there and I still prefer mine out of a box.

I'll take your first comment as an insult, thank you very much.
Grappa is the traditional Mediterranean liqueur, whether it's called grappa or graspa or aquavit. Or raki (Greece).  Or Yeni Raki (Turkey).
The only other Mediterranean traditional liqueur is made from aniseed, so that you will find it called "Anės" in France, "Anice" or "Sambuca" in Italy,
"Raki" in Turkey (without the "Yeni") or "Arak" in Arabic speaking Countries.

Neither belong to the traditional US culture because your culture is North European...
...so there you go with Whiskies of all sorts, or vodka distilled from grains.

We eat grains, you distill them.

Northern Europe is too cold and doesn't have the required sunlight for grapes to grow, so that you lack this fruit.

But to define grappa as gross is like defining scotch whiskey as gross.

Talisker or Laphroaig... gross?  Huh

Your other comment means you, to my eyes, either don't understand or don't deserve your second job... like a vegetarian working in a butchery.

Please define "fermented butt"...  Tongue

No offense meant. It is all a matter of opinion.

I hope I didn't come off as some uncultured and ungrateful redneck sucking swill out of a mason jar. I live in Pennsylvania, which has some of the best grape growing conditions on the east coast and over 100 wineries. You should know that my mother is an Italian immigrant and works at one of these wineries. Her parents grow their own grapes and make their own wine, which is quite good. So, yeah  Tongue They also make a potent limoncello; some people think that is gross.

The restaurant job is, well its a job. There are a lot of personal issues I have with this place, but the food and service are incredible. This particular restaurant is a money pit and only exists to inflate the owner's ego. I also don't like that a group of 4 people can somehow think it is ok drop over $1000 on one meal when the same money could feed a hungry family for a month. I am a realist though and hate wastefulness.
I have had the opportunity to try many things that I would not have opted to spend my own dime on. I also got to try a lot of wines because you need to be able to describe the taste and history, especially since people are more familiar with French wines than Italian. Because Italy is closer to the equator than France, the grapes and wine will have a different flavor.

Now that you know me a bit better, I still don't like grappa, but that's cool if you do. I like micro brew beers, good whiskey and gin when it gets hot. Again, those are not for everyone. they can have subtle differences depending on region and quality too. Macallan 18 and Jonnie Walker Blue are some of the best I have had.  Smiley

fermented butt = a fermented beverage with a strongly unpleasant flavor Grin

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:23:39

General CategoryThe Cafe › Grappa.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.