Send Topic Print
Lithium Grease (Read 164 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Lithium Grease
05/30/13 at 13:34:57

I have a Mantis tiller that calls for lithium #0 grease in the transmission. Mistakenly I used all purpose lithium automotive grease . What can happen if I run it this way, whats the difference between the grease ,and what color is lithium#0 grease? Thanks!

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Lithium Grease
Reply #1 - 05/30/13 at 13:50:39

#0 lithium is white. It's a pretty light grease. If the stuff you used is all purpose grease for ball joints, tie rod ends etc. it might be too heavy for your tiller. I don't know if will actually hurt anything, but it will probably make the engine work a little harder.

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #2 - 05/30/13 at 13:52:51

thanks, thats very helpful!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/31/13 at 04:54:43

I believe my Mantis Tiller is about 30 years old.  The transmission was worn out when I got it.....as there was no grease in the gearbox.  I bought new parts and installed them.....then added grease.

Lithium is a light grease and I believe it works best as it does not get hard and move away from the gears and hide in the corners....it keeps moving around. Lithium is recommended for mower spindles and gearboxes in power tools.  Any grease is better than none.  Your tiller will probably be just fine as long as you keep some kind of grease in there and add some every now and then so that the gears stay lubricated.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #4 - 05/31/13 at 07:46:17

Thanks Dave, I believe mine is about 30 years old too. My brother gave it to me,I don't think it was serviced too well. It took alot of grease. The tines were busted ,so I sent them in for warrantee,supposedly lifetime.The motor seems to run ok. and the tranny still works. We'll see .

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/31/13 at 11:56:59

Heck, man, they Gotta "spec" somethin out. Ill bet you could get by on groil. I mixed up some stuff to put back in the lawnmower rear end after it puked most of its slikkum out. I mixed grease & oil & anti-seize till I got a pretty Oooozy mix & filled it up.. been workin great for 3 years,,
You want somethin slick with enough body to not run from between gears at the first sign O pressure & thin enough to not eat horsepower,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #6 - 05/31/13 at 16:03:13

Now thats creative thinking.I dont think I should take it apart and take out the grease I put in. I think next time I'll just start adding the  lithium #0,  i've had afew opinions that said the automotive grease wont damage anything.Thanks!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 05/31/13 at 16:15:31

Yep!  Ive always been blessed with "Creative Thinking"! YOuve NO IscreaminDEA just how much trouble Ive created with that thinking,,
& No,, if you cant feel a difference in how it works or how the engine sounds, youre good,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #8 - 05/31/13 at 18:36:37

I tried lucas oil treatment in my 25 year old airens rider, but somehow it gummed up the carburator. i  had to get it cleaned out, unfortunately i couldn't do it myself.. i'm not quite as handy as some of you guys.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 05/31/13 at 20:22:03

Lucas OIL treatment fouled up your Carb? Must be some kinda crank case vent system..

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #10 - 06/01/13 at 14:32:23

it's strange,i stand the mower on end when i work on it. i'm really not sure how it gummed up, but since they cleaned it ,and i went back to 10-40 it's good.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 10/24/13 at 07:40:30

I make my own slickum for stuff like that. Some oil, some grease & some anti-sieze stirred up till I get it feeling right for the application. My lawnmower & tiller are running on my Groil concoction. Mowers been on it for about 3 or 4 years, it leaked out the factory stuff. Cant buy parts for the transaxle, its a "Not Serviceable/replace only" unit,, so, I opened it up, added my slickum, drilled a coupla holes, vented it & screwed a grease gun hose in it. Now I can add stuff with a grese gun, but since I vented it, it doesnt pressure up & spit goo when the temp goes from 40 degrees to 95.. so, Im not having to add very often,

IP Logged
Rix

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 10/24/13 at 07:47:06

Lithium doesn't have to be white. depending on addatives it can be dark grey or black.

Lithium base just means they wanted good temperature stability, and #0 means they wanted it to move around a lot. Or they wanted it easy to put in.
0 is pretty runny.
If it's just a gear box, no high pressure joints or anything (c.v. shafts etc) it probably won't be be hurt by something a bit different than what they spec'd out for it. Automotive lithium grease is generally a #1 or #2 when you buy it in a tub or tube. #0 is out there though.
If you used and "automotive" lithium, that really doesn't matter.

2013 BOULEVARD S40/LS650 ALL STOCK
1982 HONDA MB5 WITH MODS
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 10/24/13 at 14:54:37

You can buy a squeeze tube of white lithium grease. I got one at a heavy equipment dealer. Cost 4 to 6 bux,, I also keep a spray lithium handy. Thats what goes in door hinges on cars. Dont spray it on pressure contact points & make things slide instead of roll, just on axles that have wheels or stars that turn & hinge pins.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:15:19

General CategoryThe Cafe › Lithium Grease

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.