k&n air filter (Read 149 times)
scotland66
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Austria
k&n air filter
05/29/13 at 22:45:26

Are there any advantages of installing an k&n air filter over stock?
Sorry for the dumb questions,  im a nuubie here with my new "old" savage

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: k&n air filter
Reply #1 - 05/29/13 at 23:06:10

Better breathing can give a performance gain, particularly with a muffler change and rejet... but it's at the cost of slightly less filtering... (a drop-in stock filter replacement will do better than an external cone for both performance and filtering - more surface area)...
... but, the main advantage that I have one for, is that they are washable.   Filters are expensive...

Damage from reduced filtering is debatable... many bikes go 100k+ miles with them... maybe they would go a percentage further with a paper filter, or not,...
... but, most bikes die of neglect.... or if ridden, they die from oil pressure failure, catastrophic failure,  or metal fatigue....
JMHO...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/30/13 at 07:22:07

Id say he covered it.
IF you get the K&N, dont wait till your OEM paper one is trash. Keep it & use it on those days ya wanna ride, but youre cleaning the K&N. Thats not a 5 minute job,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/30/13 at 07:33:21

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/30/13 at 07:22:07:
Id say he covered it.
IF you get the K&N, dont wait till your OEM paper one is trash. Keep it & use it on those days ya wanna ride, but youre cleaning the K&N. Thats not a 5 minute job,

Yep....That is good advice to keep the original one.  My Trials bike has a foam filter and I have 2 of them.  One is in the bike and being used....while the other one is getting cleaned.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #4 - 05/31/13 at 21:14:03

Is the K&N actually going to have less air flow in the atmosphere instead of the stock inside the airbox? I would think its like a cold air intake on a car/truck where it can be taken in 360 degrees. There is better flow in a dirty k&n than a clean fiber af. or atleast that is what has been said by the reps.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 05/31/13 at 22:12:32

Firstly,...the box filter has more filter area... if you're worried about the size of the box being restrictive, think about the surface area of the filter...
Secondly,... in open atmosphere, it would in theory have more air, if it needed it... but, there is turbulence out there... even your pants flapping is creating eddys of high and low pressure at the cone...  an airbox is there to steady that air as it enters the filter and engine.... giving a more consistent air pressure to draw the fuel...

Cones are pretty,... velocity stacks are even prettier...
... and full open does do good for a 10 second firebreathing dragster, that will only be running WFO...
... but there aren't a lot of 30hp 650 thumpers in that crowd...

I'm not anti cone or velocity stack,... but they aren't a performance mod... they are a choice that involves trade-offs...
Cosmetic, performance, weight, purpose...
You will get the higher dyno reading,.. in a building, on a tester,(the building is acting as a giant airbox) ... but, you'll lose once you are outside and moving through the wind...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 21:31:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › k&n air filter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.