Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2006 Boulevard s40 hesitation issues (Read 339 times)
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
2006 Boulevard s40 hesitation issues
05/29/13 at 11:32:17

Hi, I'm new to the forum and just bought an 06 Boulevard with only 2270 miles, so not ridden much and very quickly it has developed lurching or hesitation issues in gears one through three. It has the original petcock. I've tried high test gas and a fuel additive with no change. I've done fairly extensive reading here so far regarding the ultimate advisability of changing out the stock petcock for the Raptor, but do my symptoms sound like petcock problems? dirty carburetor / jets? I've already set up my idle and lean mixture as recommended. Thanks for your help. I'm loving my bike! It's been ten years since my last one. I've added another 1400 miles to the bike in two and a half weeks. It runs great on the highway, fourth and fifth gears. thanks Rob

A hundred years from now, none of this will matter.
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Re: 2006 Boulevard s40 hesitation issues
Reply #1 - 05/29/13 at 11:43:47

I have a new bike and have noticed the same thing and I've been trying to isolate when it happens. I think I am too sensitive to worrying about over doing the RPM and drive in too high a gear for the speed and weight. Also, if I cut out the choke too soon then I really notice it but once it warms up the issue seems to go away. I always get the Shell 87 and they post no notices about ethanol. Also, this effect is very strong when I don't use the choke after the 1 minute warm up.

I just did a valve adjustment last night so I will see if that helps out at all.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/29/13 at 11:59:43

Lurching shouldn't really be gear related... it should be rpm related...
if it's only in some gears,.. you are likely running in the wrong gear for that speed... ...downshift...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/29/13 at 12:01:58

& some "hesitation" could be your expectation that it should start to accelerate when the grip gets twisted. If theres slack in the cable it will feel like its lagging a bit coming out of a corner.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/29/13 at 13:50:32

It's not on acceleration per se that the lurching happens; it's while holding the gear in a crusing speed in town (obviously since it's the lower gears that seem most affected). I've tried riding in the lower gears at different rpms to determine any differences. Very little noted. So it's not likely carb or petcock related? The response regarding this being an rpm issue makes sense. Since there's no tach I've been going by sound and feel. I've been shifting bikes for some time and believe I have it about right. Please tell me correct mph for gears one through five to double check this. Thanks for your thoughtful responses thus far. I've been wondering if the too few miles in seven years has an impact at all.

IP Logged
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/29/13 at 13:54:47

Oh, and regarding potential slack in the throttle cable, this doesn't seem to be an issue at all. The throttle is incredibly responsive throughout all gears. Low and mid-range torque is incredible.

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 05/29/13 at 13:59:01

Sometimes a lean fuel mixture can cause un-even running at a light throttle steady speed. Try turning the fuel mixture screw out some.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/29/13 at 14:05:01

My bike had a really uneven "surging" at low throttle openings, and it was most noticeable in the lower gears as you slowly accelerated away from a stop.  If you cranked open the throttle it was fine - but gently rolling on the throttle and it did not ride smooth.

For my bike the solution was to remove one of the three washers and raise the slide needle by only ising two washsers on the needle.

If you have not yet done the modificaiton to the spacer.......I suggest you give that a try.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/29/13 at 14:22:59

The spacer modification/needle advice...I'm not really sure what mod this is. And I have used about two half turns on fuel mixture screw...it was already drilled out when I bought the bike. I'm afraid to make it too rich.

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 05/29/13 at 14:25:34

Just don't go over three turns out from fully seated. And when you seat the screw just lightly seat it. Do not crank it down as you will damage the taper.

Look in the tech section under table of contents and check out carb tuning.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/29/13 at 14:27:35

What position is fully seated?

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #11 - 05/29/13 at 14:29:50

Turned all the way in clockwise to the right.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/29/13 at 14:31:03

All the way to the right or clockwise, correct? I turned screw couter-clockwise without even thinking about how much or little this screw had been turned before I bought the bike. So I guess it makes sense to go clockwise all the way then incrementally turn it counter-clockwise with, ultimately three turns max?

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #13 - 05/29/13 at 14:34:08

Correct. Usually start at 1 &1/2 turns then turn out in small increments till it runs well not to exceed three turns. If you have to go more then three turns you need to go up one size on the pilot jet. Which is not likelly. How high above sea lever are you?

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 05/29/13 at 14:39:06

Yea, 3 is max & when ya close it, be very gentle. That thing is soft, the pointy little tip will booger up.,.fingertips on a small screwdriver.
As for what speed/what gear, if youve been riding, youll know, Its a single, torque is its game, not high rpm. If you shift up & lay on the juice & it doesnt accelerate away, youre too slow for that gear/throttle combo.
YOu can shift up at low speeds, just dont ask it to haul butt. Just like driving any standard. But, for a frame of reference, 10 MPH t 2nd, 20 to 3rd, etc. & you wont have a problem if youre just oozin along,, If youre trying to get to 60 as quick as ya can, youll do it different,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 14:01:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2006 Boulevard s40 hesitation issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.