Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
trouble with valves and feeler gauges (Read 294 times)
strang

london
trouble with valves and feeler gauges
05/29/13 at 08:55:54

Man I had a hell of a time checking over my valves today.
I don't have a problem finding TDC as I've done it on a couple of bikes and understand the principle. Plus Verslagen's write up is very helpful.
There was a small amount of play but I really could not get an accurate reading with the feeler guages as it's all just so bloody cramped and awkward to get them positioned! I really think someone was smoking something the day Suzuki designed the spark plug and valve positioning.
Any tips on getting the darn feeler gauges in easier? Do I need the ones that are a slight V shape?

« Last Edit: 05/29/13 at 13:29:31 by strang »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: trouble with valves and feeler gauges
Reply #1 - 05/29/13 at 09:04:22

I remove the blade from the set & bend it into a Z shape with a Ski Tip bend on the end. Easiest way is loosen the adjuster & slip the feeler in & do the adjustment. A 90* flat blade to hold the adjuster while the jam nut gets snugged makes it easier,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/29/13 at 09:09:37

They sell angled feeler gauges.
Also, as a machinist, I've gotten feeler gage by the foot.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#feeler-gauges/=myn162

Should be easier to get that foot long ribbon in there than the whole handheld set.

--Steve

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/29/13 at 09:16:13

I bought feeler gauge material from Grainger.....and bent it like this:

293uaki1.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 05/29/13 at 09:33:35

That bent one is almost IGGzaklee how I do mine. Just take the screw out of the pack & pull the ones I want, bend about like that and I add a little bend in the very tip, like a ski.
I also have a mini mag lite & magnet at hand & of course the 10 MM & the offset slot driver

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 05/29/13 at 09:59:57

Yeah, I just took the .004 and .005 out and bent the end a little. I make sure the four goes in but the five doesn't. I don't have any trouble getting the feeler gage under there though. Of course I've done this a few times. Smiley

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #6 - 05/29/13 at 11:38:03

Just went through this yesterday. It's one cylinder!! They couldn't put the valve ports on the sides under the chrome vanity covers??? I probably make it harder than it needs to be because I do both valves at the same time with two guages. Tightening the nut also moves the stud slightly so I leave the guages in place, adjust and tighten until they feel the same or very similar resistance.

Could be the OCD  Grin Grin Grin

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/29/13 at 11:43:51

Dane Allen wrote on 05/29/13 at 11:38:03:
Just went through this yesterday. It's one cylinder!! They couldn't put the valve ports on the sides under the chrome vanity covers??? I probably make it harder than it needs to be because I do both valves at the same time with two guages. Tightening the nut also moves the stud slightly so I leave the guages in place, adjust and tighten until they feel the same or very similar resistance.

Yep.....it is good to get them as close as possible to being the same.  IF you don't......you get tic-tic....tic-tic.......tic-tic instead of tic....tic....tic.

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #8 - 05/29/13 at 11:47:24

Dave wrote on 05/29/13 at 11:43:51:

Yep.....it is good to get them as close as possible to being the same.  IF you don't......you get tic-tic....tic-tic.......tic-tic instead of tic....tic....tic.

Grin Grin Grin I'm such a noob!!! I've been trying to eliminate the tics!!  Grin

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 05/29/13 at 12:00:20

It otta sound kinda like a sewin machine,,

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 05/29/13 at 12:01:25

Dane Allen wrote on 05/29/13 at 11:47:24:

Grin Grin Grin I'm such a noob!!! I've been trying to eliminate the tics!!  Grin

Your goal is to turn ....TICKA......TICKA.....TICKA...into tic....tic....tic.

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #11 - 05/29/13 at 12:14:11

Dave wrote on 05/29/13 at 12:01:25:
Dane Allen wrote on 05/29/13 at 11:47:24:

Your goal is to turn ....TICKA......TICKA.....TICKA...into tic....tic....tic.

Ok, thanks!! That I have done  Smiley

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #12 - 05/29/13 at 14:21:05

thanks this is real helpful - have just ordered the feeler guage material and angled 90 screwdriver.
What kind of offset wrench is recommended?
this one

or more extreme like this one

Happy to assemble the right tools for the job as really enjoying riding my savage at the moment and want to keep her happy  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 05/29/13 at 14:41:12

If I had one like the lower pic Id probably cut it in half. That drop would make things real easy. A regular combination end wrench is cocked up, but will do the trick, but, the drop end is much nicer..
You can get an offset screwdriver at sears,mite even get that wrench,,

IP Logged
45acp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

on a shooting range in OK.
Reply #14 - 05/29/13 at 18:46:28

i bought a wrench like the bottom one at sears. 10 bucks and it worked great. way better than a regular wrench. Wink

shoot fast. reload faster.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 00:20:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › trouble with valves and feeler gauges

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.