Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First country ride = exercise for the day. (Read 109 times)
wheelsoffreedom76
YaBB Newbies

Kansas
First country ride = exercise for the day.
05/28/13 at 14:00:51

Well after just over 600 miles around town on the s40 I was starting to trust the bike. Decided to venture a little further away from home and was traveling a square around the city about 12 miles out when on the last 12 mile stretch on the highway about 68mph into a 30mph headwind she stumbled and died. I grabbed the clutch right away thinking the motor had let go and was gonna lock up. Coasted to the side and no signs of escaped internals. I let it cool for a few minutes and tried it, she fired up hesitantly and I made it about a quarter mile and she sputtered out again. Now I was sure of it, the fuel flow was restricted in some way and driving around town hadn't revealed it, but pulling fast against the wind had ran the bowl dry on the carb I bet. Pretty sure it was vapor locked now so I started pushing, ended up pushing about 6 miles altogether. tried it again when i got off the highway and she started and I rode easy letting off the throttle as much as possible and made it home. Time to order the raptor valve I imagine. I had plugged the vac ports and was running on prime, but apparently it's restricting flow (will verify that when it's cooled off). OH well, got some exercise out of the deal, and was glad to only be pushing 400 pounds.  Grin

06 S40
  IP Logged
wheelsoffreedom76
YaBB Newbies

Kansas
Re: First country ride = exercise for the day.
Reply #1 - 05/28/13 at 15:34:44

I just pulled the line and checked the flow into a cup. It's amazing that I was even able to ride in town. It just barely dribbled along out the hose.

06 S40
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/28/13 at 15:41:30

That's strange... on Prime, it should flow,... even with a bad diaphragm...
Do you have an in-line filter?...
If not,... I'd look for dirt in the tank... or a blocked pick-up tube...

A Raptor may not fix this...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/28/13 at 16:10:10

prostate problem, no doubt

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 05/29/13 at 05:04:36

Did you run out of gas?  You do not have a reserve when using the Prime position for regular riding.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #5 - 05/29/13 at 09:50:59

Make sure the gas cap is well vented, maybe the tiny hole up there is plugged up. On prime it should free fall.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 05/29/13 at 09:54:42

If you take the cap off & it runs out faster,, ta daaahhhh..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
wheelsoffreedom76
YaBB Newbies

Kansas
Reply #7 - 06/05/13 at 14:46:29

The new raptor valve showed up today! I removed the old valve and it was clean as a whistle. Tried blowing back through it and got a lot of restriction and then couldn't get air through it at all. Cleaned up the partially painted mounting surface and installed the new valve. Refilled and checked the flow through the valve and she flows like a champ. Took her for a ride and seemed a little more zippy. Got out on the freeway and after exiting some road construction in fifth gear I hit the hammer lane and opened her up, and it pulled hard till I backed off at 80. The old valve must have been restricted since I got it (600 miles ago). It always ran smooth so I had never checked fuel flow till it quit on me last week. It apparently was restricting enough to lean the mixture but not stumble before, with the fuel level being low in the bowl as it ran  cooler today, and quieter. All is good again.

06 S40
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:35:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › First country ride = exercise for the day.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.