Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How do you know whenits the oil plug leak (Read 139 times)
rodeoclown

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Glenview,Il
How do you know whenits the oil plug leak
05/26/13 at 06:48:42

I have a oil leak by the spark plug that puddles in that area. I searched  the forum but couldnt find the"this is how you know its the oil plug leak".  Its a 1997 with 3500 miles on it with k&N filter jardine muffler and re jetted.      

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: How do you know whenits the oil plug leak
Reply #1 - 05/26/13 at 20:01:27

Well, you're gonna need to take the decorative chrome covers off it anyway, to investigate whatever leak it is that you have.  So, the tank will have to come off.

With that removed, you can get a better look at the situation.  I'd recommend that you do that and tell us what you see.....

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #2 - 05/27/13 at 07:20:46

If you shine a flashlight into the hole on the front of the engine near the exhaust header, you can see the head plug and you may be able to see if oil is leaking from it. While you are there, you can also check the cylinder nut to see if it is leaking oil. I'd start by looking there for leaks, and if these areas are dry, do as Digger says and remove the tank and report what you see.

My bike had oil leaks in both of the above places. The cylinder bolt leak was easy -- remove the bolt, clean it, retorque. The head plug leak was more than I could handle myself and was not cheap to fix.

- David
  IP Logged
rodeoclown

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Glenview,Il
Reply #3 - 05/27/13 at 08:00:04

Thanks! I just checked  by the header it is bone dry in there. The oil is on the other side by the spark plug. I guess Ill have to tear it down a bit and see if i can see anything.

IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #4 - 05/27/13 at 08:16:42

If it if it looks like this pic at all its probably not the plug cap.  I had the same leak and
It ended up being the head seal. Most people said this was rather rare, but its still worth considering.

20130523_211149.jpg
  IP Logged
rodeoclown

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Glenview,Il
Reply #5 - 05/27/13 at 11:53:22

Looks nothing like that just has a puddle of oil by the spark plug. If you look in the fins on the  top, front, right(if your looking at the engine) where the spark plugs sits there is a little puddle in there.So it would be above the head gasket.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 05/28/13 at 04:03:10

A puddle by the spark plug could either be the valve inspections caps leaking, or one of the cylinder cover bolts that have rubber sealing washers, or maybe the O-ring seal on the rocker arm shafts.  You need to remove the chrome covers and have a look.  If you clean the area up and ride it with the covers off you might be able to find the leak easier.  Put a stack of washers and a nut on the long stud on the left front that held the chrome cover on - as this bolt does hold the cylinder head cover at the left front corner.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 05/28/13 at 18:47:20

Dave wrote on 05/28/13 at 04:03:10:
A puddle by the spark plug could either be the valve inspections caps leaking, or one of the cylinder cover bolts that have rubber sealing washers, or maybe the O-ring seal on the rocker arm shafts.  You need to remove the chrome covers and have a look.  If you clean the area up and ride it with the covers off you might be able to find the leak easier.  Put a stack of washers and a nut on the long stud on the left front that held the chrome cover on - as this bolt does hold the cylinder head cover at the left front corner.

Dave's got a good plan.  To make it easier, after cleaning the area up spray some foot powder aerosol spray (I'm partial to Desenex) on any suspect areas.  Any of the white powder that's turned brown after a ride is pointing you to the leak.

Good luck!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
rodeoclown

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Glenview,Il
Reply #8 - 05/29/13 at 03:50:58

Awesome advice guys many Thanks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1