Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
650 dead - Just Wont Start (Read 66 times)
johnh94927
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

650 dead - Just Wont Start
05/25/13 at 21:14:38

my 2007 ls 650 just wont starat. plays dead. no click, no whirr, no nothing. i think i may have fried some darned electronic biscuit, but dont know which one.
battery is also dead - so first step is replace battery/ have heard that wal-mart batteries are ok and affordacble. any comments?
next step is figure out what got burned. any guesses? i mean, even with full battery there appears to be no response. battery cant put out more than 9.5 v, wondering if that is the problem or if there is more. any intelligent guess is welcomed.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: 650 dead - Just Wont Start
Reply #1 - 05/25/13 at 21:27:11

At 9.x volts, your black box won't even respond at all when the battery voltage is that low.  

Step 1 is to get a new battery and charge it at no more than a 2 amp rate overnight.  Your resulting fully charged voltage will be around 13 volts.

Do all troubleshooting with a freshly charged battery that is showing more than 12.6 volts when tested with a volt ohm meter.   If it drops below 12.5 put it back on the charger for a while.   Testing anything below normal rated input voltage is an exercise in futility as your lack of results can simply be poor input voltage not triggering the electronics of your firing circuit.

You need fresh gas in the gas tank too (you didn't mention if the gas was anywhere near fresh either).

Your bike my heal itself completely with a properly charged good new battery as your black box has shut down completely right now due to "improper trigger voltage" (it is designed to do that, BTW).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 05/26/13 at 05:32:35

The Walmart battery is not the correct battery. The vent tube is on the wrong side, and the battery will not go completely in place. You can make a hole on the other end of the battery box for the vent tube, and then all will be well. Or you can go to Interstate Batteries, who will sell you a maintenance-free battery with no vent tube for about $75. Before you install the new battery do as Oldfeller said and charge it up, no matter that the store said it comes precharged.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 05/26/13 at 06:29:38

The battery you want is a 14L-B2. Every thing will be in the right place.

Ysasa makes a really good maint free battery. It is a YTX14AHL-BS. It cost more but it sure works good.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/26/13 at 10:18:14

& Monitor battery voltage religiously while troubleshooting. Have a charger ready to go. In fact, building a pigtail so you can have easy access
to the terminals when ya put that battery in is a great idea. Then you can hook a float charger up with no hassle.
So, you need a volt meter & a solderin gun & some wars & connecturs & all kinda such stuff. Hackin a hunk O harness out from under the hood of a junker is a good way to get a collection of wars of varying size for super cheap,.
War strippers! Dont fergit them thangs,, Now,you can go cheapo & get them what closes around the war & you yank on it OR, you can go Big Time for less than $20.00 & gitchyasome that peenches the war AND nips the end clean & all you gotta do is squeeze the handle,,
I do so love mine & I have years & years of experience dealin with wars & solderin & such & only in the last 3 years have I had the  really good stripper setup> I cant believe I waited so long,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 23:23:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 650 dead - Just Wont Start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.