Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Petcock Valve Left in Prime (Read 155 times)
attiii
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Washington, DC
Petcock Valve Left in Prime
05/23/13 at 17:47:08

I came down to our parking garage (I live in a large apartment complex) to discover that someone had been messing with my bike, including moving petcock valve to the prime position.  It's possible it has been in this position for as many as 3 days-  is my bike safe to start?  The owners manual suggests not...so I am curious what the best course of action is.

Thanks for helping a total newb!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Petcock Valve Left in Prime
Reply #1 - 05/23/13 at 18:30:08

It's fine... (just check that they didn't steal your gas)...(PRIME is the position a gas thief would use to drain your tank)...
...put it back to ON, and go...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #2 - 05/23/13 at 19:37:12

attiii wrote on 05/23/13 at 17:47:08:
....is my bike safe to start?...

I'd check the oil level first, on the off chance that you've got a leaky needle valve.

If the oil level is where you left it, start 'er up and go for a scream....

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
attiii
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Washington, DC
Reply #3 - 05/24/13 at 08:19:06

Thanks for the info!  Relieved to know it's not as bad as the manual makes it out to be! Gas thievery-  hadn't even thought about that, but thankfully, it still remains!

I still have the original petcock on my savage-  from what I've read here I should change it out for the Yamaha Raptor?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 05/24/13 at 08:48:10

Since you still have your owners manual......I might guess that the bike is reasonably new?  The stock petcock has been known to work fine for a long time for some owners....not so long for others.  The symptoms of the failing stock petcick can be misleading, and they always seem to happen at a bad time (Like cruising along at 70mph on a busy interstate while you are in the middle lane).  I suppose the modifications that reduce vacuum, and storage of the bike in climate extremes may promote early problems.

The Raptor is one way to eliminate a potential problem - but so is disconnecting the clutch safety switch, the kick stand safety switch, and the neutral safety circuit.  These modifications are deemed to be excessive.......and some may view the Raptor the same way.

Me......I have a Raptor.....but then I don't have a clutch or kick stand switch anymore either?  I do still have my neutral light! Grin

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 05/24/13 at 08:57:55

My stock petcock seemed to be working OK but I put a raptor on anyway. I did notice after installing the raptor that my idle RPMs increased a little. I figured it was due to no longer having a vacuum draw on the carb. Or it was my imagination. I did have to turn it down slightly. Smiley

Oh yeah, I have only forgotten one time to turn it on when starting the bike. It will let you know pretty quick if this happens. I have not forgot to turn it off when I am through riding.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 05/24/13 at 16:40:46

Dave wrote on 05/24/13 at 08:48:10:
Since you still have your owners manual......I might guess that the bike is reasonably new?  The stock petcock has been known to work fine for a long time for some owners....not so long for others.  The symptoms of the failing stock petcick can be misleading, and they always seem to happen at a bad time (Like cruising along at 70mph on a busy interstate while you are in the middle lane).  I suppose the modifications that reduce vacuum, and storage of the bike in climate extremes may promote early problems.

The Raptor is one way to eliminate a potential problem - but so is disconnecting the clutch safety switch, the kick stand safety switch, and the neutral safety circuit.  These modifications are deemed to be excessive.......and some may view the Raptor the same way.

Me......I have a Raptor.....but then I don't have a clutch or kick stand switch anymore either?  I do still have my neutral light! Grin

A very intellengently well written post/answer !! Smiley

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
attiii
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Washington, DC
Reply #7 - 05/25/13 at 07:30:01

Agreed Raptor (and thanks Dave!)

For the record it's a 2000 with just over 10k miles.  It's my first bike and I'm loving it!

photo_1.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 19:52:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Petcock Valve Left in Prime

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.