Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
No benefit to being a citizen (in CT) (Read 72 times)
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

No benefit to being a citizen (in CT)
05/23/13 at 11:14:19

After a heated debate that extended through the night, members of the Connecticut House of Representatives have approved a proposal that would allow undocumented immigrants to obtain driver's licenses, register their vehicles and get insurance.

The debate on the bill to allow licenses regardless of citizenship or immigration status started around 10 p.m. and stretched for more than seven hours, ending with a 74-55 vote.

Supporters said the legislation would create millions of dollars in state revenue and make the roads safer.

“There is a stark contrast here,” Speaker of the House Brendan Sharkey said. “There are 54,000 untrained, unlicensed, and uninsured drivers on our roads. We believe we should deal with this reality now, while those opposed  simply want another study. ”

Opponents said more research should have been done on the bill.

Now the debate goes to the state Senate and is not expected to come up until next week, according to a Senate Democratic aide.

Mayor John DeStefano Jr., an outspoken advocate for immigration reform, took on the issue seven years ago by offering undocumented immigrants resident identification cards and released a statement in support of the legislation.

"Like the municipal ID, granting immigrants driver licenses regardless of immigration status is good policy.  Drivers’ licenses will reduce the number of uninsured motorists on the road and will establish training and testing standards to ensure driver safety.  Moreover, like the Elm City ID, drivers’ licenses can help connect immigrants with banking services to help reduce street crime, increase the reporting of crime and help to create a sense of community identity,” DeStefano said in a statement.

More than 10,000 cards have been issued since the program's inception and the ID cards have gone a long way in strengthening relationships between residents and the city’s police department, DeStefano said in March.

See the bill here:
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/TOB/S/2013SB-00068-R00-SB.htm

Here's a link citing my source:
http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/State-Approves-Licenses-for-Undocume...

--Steve

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: No benefit to being a citizen (in CT)
Reply #1 - 05/23/13 at 11:59:05

Yea NC too. They shouldn't have another study ... they need to jail them and RF-id em and kick em out.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #2 - 05/23/13 at 12:01:38

Wow....
Using that logic...
shouldn't we give rapists condemns "to protect the victim"??
Should't we provide silencers to murders "so they don't wake the entire neighborhood"
Should'nt we provide free pron to child molesters "in hopes they can re-direct their urges"

damit.. I don't want to give them any more ideas...

So citys don't really care about any law-breaking or moral ideals of right wrong... they just want the revenue... ahhh

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/23/13 at 12:13:04

In Cali... we have a lot of hit and bail drivers.
So much so, that registered drivers do the same thing when they panic.

It may create a "don't ask, don't tell" attitude, but getting all drivers educated, tested, insured and responsible seems to be more important.
At least it is the the one that just got his a$$ ran over for j-walking.
Instead of making a run for it, the driver may call it in.  Instead of letting the victim bleed to death.

WWW   IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #4 - 05/23/13 at 17:34:25

I would think that the more paper we get on illegals the better. Would you rather have them driving around without an ID license and no insurance??. Wouldn't they be more likely to stay at an accident scene than flee with a paper trail on them?

A driver's license and proof of insurance does NOT establish citizenship (except here in Michigan where for $50 dollars you can get an "enhanced" driver's Lic. which DOES prove citizenship which expedites crossing the US Canadian border).

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/24/13 at 06:18:58

Starlifter wrote on 05/23/13 at 17:34:25:
I would think that the more paper we get on illegals the better. Would you rather have them driving around without an ID license and no insurance??. Wouldn't they be more likely to stay at an accident scene than flee with a paper trail on them?

A driver's license and proof of insurance does NOT establish citizenship (except here in Michigan where for $50 dollars you can get an "enhanced" driver's Lic. which DOES prove citizenship which expedites crossing the US Canadian border).

I had to bring my social security card, birth certificate, my Florida learner's license (FL allows "learner's" license at 15) and was still shut down by the CT DMV. I had to wait a week while I mailed a letter to myself to show that I received mail here in CT. That's the prerequisite the CT DMV wanted for me to get my CT license... and I'm a CITIZEN.

So I have to jump through hoops to prove I'm a CT resident but any Juan, Tom or Jesus can stumble over the border and get a license. Fantastic.

You propose the question "Would I rather have them driving with no license or insurance?" I would rather NOT HAVE THEM DRIVING AROUND IN MY STATE NOT BEING A CITIZEN.

Quote:
(MyFoxBoston.com) – The illegal immigrant who was drunk driving when he hit and dragged a Milford man to his death has been ruled incompetent to stand trial.

Judge Janet Kinton-Walker says Nicolas Guaman's "unique cultural background" and language barrier means that he doesn't understand the court process. The court also said that he lacks the ability to consult with his attorney properly.

The judge ordered Guaman's attorney to find an interpreter and educate him on the court process.

In August 2011, 23-year-old Matthew Denice was hit and dragged to death while riding his motorcycle.

FOX 25 spoke to Maureen Maloney, Matthew's mother, on the phone during the FOX 25 Morning News about the ruling. Maloney said she believes this is a stall tactic by the defense, but hopes it clears the way for trial.

"My first reaction yesterday was devastation," Maloney said. "I just can't believe that he was found mentally incompetent based on his education level and unique language. However, after being able to think about it overnight, I'm hoping that this will close whatever loopholes that the defense has to try to appeal or get a retrial if we ever get to a trial."

Judge Kinton-Walker was appointed in 2009 by Gov. Deval Patrick.

This case has caused outrage across the nation and FOX 25 has covered the story extensively.

Maloney and her family will meet with the district attorney Thursday to talk more about the ruling and the next steps in the case.

"I think this does give the defense attorney the opportunity to request the bail for Guaman," said Maloney. "Up until now, he has not been eligible for bail, so he may be eligible to be released on bail because of this recent decision."

Guaman pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder charges. He and the new interpreter are due back in court in June.

FOX 25's Melissa Mahan asked Maloney whether she believes Guaman does not understand the court process in the United States because of his language barrier.

"No, I don't believe it," said Maloney. "In the past, he's had other run-ins with the law. He's been in court multiple times on other charges prior to all this in August 2011 and a Spanish interpreter or no interpreter was used for those hearings and he's always managed just fine."

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/21940500/2013/04/11/defendant-in-milford-dea...

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?>!

Judge Janet Kinton-Walker says Nicolas Guaman's "unique cultural background" and language barrier means that he doesn't understand the court process. The court also said that he lacks the ability to consult with his attorney properly.

What unique cultural background allows anyone to run over, drag and KILL another person without penalty? In what culture is this acceptable?
Not in my culture, in my state, in my country. You live here then you play by the rules.
If I crack a beer in Saudi Arabia I could get a public lashing from those sub humans. But wait, I don't speak Arabic so I shouldn't face the penalty, right?
Laws only apply to some people in your world, right Animal Farm?

--Steve

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #6 - 05/24/13 at 07:57:13

That's a valid and logical idea, but I think it too difficult to actually put into practice. Either something is legal or its not. By giving a drivers license to a criminal who is in the act of committing a crime, (that is was an "illegal alien is.. one is committing an ongoing crime of staying when they have no legal right to stay) what are you then saying about the crime?
What this does is bypass the real issue (illegal aliens) basically by de-criminalizing the crime. Its one group picking and choosing what law they want to enforce. Then hiding the REAL intent in mumbo-jumbo BS about revenues and reducing crime. Of course they reduced crime they just made all illegal aliens LEGAL.
As to how those that get their shiney new license will deal with it. They will work the system .. just like any human would  (alien or citizen). If the situation calls for running they will run, and if they know its just a slap on the wrist.. then they stick around and hope for a wrongful arrest suit.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 05/24/13 at 07:58:08

Yea they will still flee ... how can you not know that. Fleeing is their religion. They have "come here for a better life". Sitting around after the accident will affect that "better life". Their life is based on getting away from trouble. Paper trail - we have that now. They still have plates on their cars dont they ? So we gain nothing.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/24/13 at 08:40:27

That was something else I wanted to argue but forgot to mention. People think it will reduce hit and runs and reduce crime. If they broke the law to get here what makes you think they won't break another one?

--Steve

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 05/24/13 at 13:33:27

Ooo we should give them a drivers license with a tracking chip in it with full on time and place tracking and we dont tell them it has that. That way if they hit and run, and say accident happened @ 8:30 pm May 20 th 2013. We can find out which illegal was there @ that time and find him and freaking throw them in jail.

BTW we should not do this to legal or citizens. Its a violation of 4th amendment. Illegals are criminals that as deemed by the law dont have no rights. They are being allowed to be free. That is a huge right.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 05/25/13 at 05:04:43

When they come in for their "papers", toss them in  a cell and send them back where they belong. Or, preferably, set the cells on the deck of a trash barge and head out to sea...

I'd say a .22 short through the ear canal and then part them out, but, some of the diseases they have already reintroduced to this continent are hard enough to deal with.

We have enough native born bipedal trash, we don't need to keep coddling the third world dregs. Keep the creme de la creme of immigrants, send the rest home or dehydrate them as fertilizer.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 05/25/13 at 10:26:59

“There is a stark contrast here,” Speaker of the House Brendan Sharkey said. “There are 54,000 untrained, unlicensed, and uninsured drivers on our roads. We believe we should deal with this reality now, while those opposed  simply want another study.

IF one of the "Untrained, unlicensed & uninsured" drivers on the road was your 16 y/o kid they'd know how to deal with that!
& Let me ASSure you, it wouldnt be putting the kid in a drivers ed class & handing him a license & insurance on the taxpayers back.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/18/24 at 11:46:24

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › No benefit to being a citizen (in CT)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.