Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looks like AMD is going to make it ... (Read 55 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Looks like AMD is going to make it ...
05/23/13 at 05:07:57

For a while there AMD had nothing much to sell except Brazos chipsets, now they have a mort of stuff coming out that hits the nail pretty much on the x86 head.

http://liliputing.com/2013/05/amd-launches-temash-kabini-richland-chips-for-t...

Both AMD and Intel are getting closer to getting down into ARM land speed wise but both are still hampered battery life wise as neither has come up with an equivalent to ARM's Big LITTLE to keep the energy consumption down.

ARM has hit a seam in their own design road as the cheapie Chinese guys have chosen to milk the old "we already own the license" A9 designs to go way way beyond what ARM had intended for processor count, throughput and the unauthorized use of fast big third party GPUs to keep the 4 year old stuff competitive.

Part of this bobble is APPLE/ARM's own fault for moving through the A15 generation to the A57 generation in just one year.   Nobody wants to sink the cost of two licenses and all the development time into something that the Chinese are still going to be able to undercut with their 28 to 22 nanometer A9 cheapie quad core chipsets.

Next, 64 bit is coming -- sometime or another, right?  And 64 bit will wipe it all away, right?   But what is the advantage of rushing to going 64 bit right now with no 64 bit software and operating system to run on it?

So, the currently disjointed ARM universe is going to offer both Intel and AMD a full year's worth of bobble time to work with.   The 64 bit x86 complex instruction set guys need to take full advantage of this time in making a strong niche for themselves.

Apple was driving this ARM runaway speed train at full steam, but since Steve Jobs died on them Apple has gone silent -- no grandiose plans, no WOW featured new products, no nothing.  

Silent.

The 800 pound gorilla isn't doing anything, so Google and the rest are hanging loose right now, just trickling out last year's anti-Apple innovations to fight against a giant innovation sucking nothingness that is coming out of Apple right now.

Google is sitting on the next Nexus 7 and several other new products as they have no reason to roll them out until Apple comes out with their next products.

Google has them all ready, first production is DONE and pics and stuff are leaking all over the orient about the feature sets -- but with nobody forcing the new/wow issue so they are just sitting in boxes in a warehouse.

You don't throw down your counter move until the other guy's move takes place, right?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Re: Looks like AMD is going to make it ...
Reply #1 - 05/23/13 at 07:38:17

Its funny...

it is my opion that AMD is banking GOLD on the old ATI they bought out years ago. It turns out that Nvidia has snubbed most all the GPU network processing (folding, mining, ect) leaving AMD as the supplier of choice for an entire area. At first I figured this must be a tiny tiny market... but then I see people with 50+ GPUs ... and I have to wonder. I also spent a MONTH researching the market for USED AMD "power" GPUs. The used market is INSANE. Why are people paying FULL new retail for 5850, 5870, 6850, 6870, 6890 level cards? These are OLD cards! And yes AMD is making bank on this market. I just bought a NEW 6870, which when you use GPU-Z tells you its actually an old 5800 reference (5870) card.
Is it enough to save AMD? (alone) pretty sure its not, but it is a nice little cash cow at a time AMD needs all the revenue streams it can find.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:35:04

General CategoryThe Cafe › Looks like AMD is going to make it ...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.