Send Topic Print
Oil Leak (Read 113 times)
Zchan858
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oil Leak
05/22/13 at 16:54:22

The 1986 suzuki savage i have has a legit oil leak, i just changed oil probably 2 1/2 weeks ago and already lost most of its oil, i see oil leak between the head of the engine and also near my stater and the oil drainage I'm not sure how to come about this really also...

idk if anyone knows the cause but my bike has a unpatterned idle between when i start it up and when it warms up but once i hear the bike come to a low idle, it often times just shuts off any tips on that?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Oil Leak
Reply #1 - 05/22/13 at 18:16:34

This is the most commonly occurring oil leak and may well be what you have going on.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1099227295

Get some engine cleaner and spray down your warm engine with it and then spray the stuff off with a garden hose and let your engine dry good without starting it.

Then, get a flashlight and shine it up over your exhaust pipe so you can see what is going on, then start the engine and check for your oil leak.   If it is the plug you can sometimes even see it move as the engine huffs and puffs internally.

With a clean dry engine you should be able to spot where the oil leak is originating from as it likes to start over there and run down the tilted fins and drip over here .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #2 - 05/22/13 at 19:08:28

ZChan,

Understand that, when the engine is warmed up, the idle speed gets too low?

Please tell us what you are doing with the enrichener knob for a cold start and the the subsequent warm up.

« Last Edit: 05/23/13 at 19:32:52 by Digger »  

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/23/13 at 06:26:08

Man, mine needs the idle tweaked every time. Go out, fire it up, get its throat cleared & running smooth at 1/4 gas, let off & its gonna die unless I jack the idle up a bit, ride about 5 minutes & its ready for a tiny tweak lower, & for about 15 or 20 minutes, Ill fiddle with it at stops,, I dont keep it low, I just dont wanna be rollin 25 MPH in 1st gear at idle..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 05/23/13 at 06:34:53

When its warn out I pull the choke out to 1/2, start the bike it idles a little low but not bad. Ride for 1/2 to 1 mile shut the choke off and bikes idles perfect. Happens every day I ride it. never touch the idle screw. Smiley

Pilot is 52.5. mixture screw is turned out 2 3/4 turns. I do have a raptor petcock. Smiley

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #5 - 05/23/13 at 12:25:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/23/13 at 06:26:08:
Man, mine needs the idle tweaked every time. Go out, fire it up, get its throat cleared & running smooth at 1/4 gas, let off & its gonna die unless I jack the idle up a bit, ride about 5 minutes & its ready for a tiny tweak lower, & for about 15 or 20 minutes, Ill fiddle with it at stops,, I dont keep it low, I just dont wanna be rollin 25 MPH in 1st gear at idle..

How fast does it roll in first gear if you leave the idle where it's okay at startup with the choke out a notch? I noticed the idle speeds up a lot when my bike's hot but I'm still only going 10mph with no throttle so it can't be that fast.

- David
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #6 - 05/23/13 at 17:05:13

I noticed mine idles the same in neutral or first gear with the clutch pulled in (engaged). Now in all the remaining gears, 2 thru 5, it is different. Nor sure but I think it has something to do with how fast I'm going  Embarrassed

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 05/24/13 at 10:47:14

I noticed the idle speeds up a lot when my bike's hot but I'm still only going 10mph with no throttle so it can't be that fast.

Uh Huhh,, & if thats correct
How Slow is it before its warmed up?
Thats why I tweak mine. Im gonna keep it up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #8 - 05/24/13 at 11:08:51

I don't have a tach, but it sounds (compared to a metronome recording) slightly slower than 1000 rpm cold, with the choke halfway out (and goes about 8mph on a level road at idle), about 1000rpm after I've ridden it a couple miles and pushed the choke in, and slightly over 1200rpm after it's hot. I use the choke to raise the cold idle speed, which seems easier than twisting the idle speed screw with gloves on. But whatever works. Wish these things had a tach.

- David
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 12:25:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.