Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Where Are The Deficit Celebrations? (Read 63 times)
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Where Are The Deficit Celebrations?
05/20/13 at 21:56:24

For three years and more Beltway politics has been all about the deficit. Urgent action was needed to avert crisis. A Grand Bargain absolutely had to be reached. Fix the Debt, now now now!

So where are the celebrations now that the debt issue looks, if not solved, at least greatly mitigated? And it’s not just recovering revenues: health costs, the biggest driver of long-run spending, have slowed dramatically....the deficit progress must be minimized and bad-mouthed.

what was obvious all along: for many deficit nuts, it was never really about the debt, it was about using deficits as a way to attack the social safety net. Deficits may have come down, but not the way they were supposed to — hey, we were supposed to be kicking 65 and 66 year-olds off  Medicare, not doing something so goody-goody as managing costs better.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Where Are The Deficit Celebrations?
Reply #1 - 05/21/13 at 04:32:59

So where are the celebrations now that the debt issue looks, if not solved, at least greatly mitigated? And it’s not just recovering revenues: health costs, the biggest driver of long-run spending, have slowed dramatically....the deficit progress must be minimized and bad-mouthed.

oh my God; you really are in another universe.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/21/13 at 06:25:50

Health care is rising dramatically & in 5 years youll be crying in your water, cuz you wont
A; be able to pay for beer
or
B: Allowed to have any
because your health care provider wont let you

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #3 - 05/21/13 at 08:57:13

The debt issue is fixed??? mitigated??

I must have missed something... sources please.

[

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/21/13 at 09:12:12

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/21/13 at 06:25:50:
B: Allowed to have any
because your health care provider wont let you

This.

--Steve

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #5 - 05/21/13 at 12:47:50

"The debt issue is fixed??? mitigated??

I must have missed something... sources please."

If somebody is getting all or most of their news from FOX news that person is most likely not learning about the deficit reduction.  

http://www.politicususa.com/gop-whip-empty-scandals-avoid-realities-most-rapi...

Under current law, the federal budget deficit will fall dramatically between 2012 and 2013 owing to scheduled increases in taxes and, to a lesser extent, scheduled reduc- tions in spending—a development that some observers have referred to as a fiscal cliff.

Taken together, CBO estimates, those policies will reduce the federal budget deficit by $607 billion, or 4.0 percent of gross domestic product (GDP), between fiscal years 2012 and 2013.

If you were wondering why Republicans can’t stop screaming hysterically about fictional persecutions and scandals, it’s because the deficit is no longer their Big Thing. The “emergency” of the deficit – so important that Republicans had to risk global fiscal confidence – took a backseat to constantly shifting, hysterical and unfounded scandals du jour recently. It turns out that ‘the President’s policies are contributing to the most rapid deficit reduction since World War II.’ Ouch. Change subject!

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office reported a continued decline in the federal budget deficit: “The CBO projects a $642 billion budget deficit for fiscal year 2013, down more than $200 billion from its February estimate and the smallest annual shortfall since 2008. It is the lowest level of deficit spending to date under President Obama, who faced $1 trillion or more in annual deficits during his first term.”

Here’s a real bitter irony for the GOP. At the same time as their ideology took an ugly beating in the reality department, the man they are determined to destroy has a better record at deficit reduction than any of their recent Presidents. In fact, government spending under President Obama has grown at a slower rate than it did under any president since Dwight D. Eisenhower, according to Bloomberg (that’s over 50 years ago, if you’re counting). Ironically, this fact is due in part to their own obstructionism and President Obama’s endless compromises with them.

You might be asking yourself why Republicans are so good at cracking the whip on others while they are incapable of demonstrating even the most remote semblance of fiscal discipline when they are in charge. Good question. For that matter, why can’t Speaker John Boehner get anything done in the House without the help of Democrats? Boehner has only been able to pass Sandy relief and the VAWA (finally on both) because Democrats rescued him from his own party’s extremism. Modern day Republicans are keen on demonstrating repeatedly that they can’t govern and aren’t interested in legislating anything other than women’s bodies.

Republican lawmakers are very busy trying to bully the IRS into not looking into whether tea party groups are actively trying to influence elections. Also, Benghazi! And Republicans are very busy embracing a short-lived love for first amendment rights. Have no fear, they are still too busy to get any actual work done. But they do have that 37th vote on ObamaCare because they are the party of anti-discipline and fiscal recklessness.

The Party of the Rich's aim is not deficit reduction, it's preserving Bush tax cuts for the 1%. The top 1% has a greater net worth than the bottom 90%--34.6% to 27%.

They just keep wasting our money, as Obama tries to save us all from their childishness.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #6 - 05/21/13 at 14:38:37

Starlifter wrote on 05/21/13 at 12:47:50:
"The debt issue is fixed??? mitigated??

I must have missed something... sources please."

If somebody is getting all or most of their news from FOX news that person is most likely not learning about the deficit reduction.  

http://www.politicususa.com/gop-whip-empty-scandals-avoid-realities-most-rapi...
[

Star.. thanks for the response. Please note:

No one.. and I mean NO ONE on the planet is more ANTI FOX than I. Period. I have not watched them since 2006. I have the bedroom TV skip that channel.. so as to not even be bothered. So when responding to my posts.. please refrain simple insults. I was not insulting when I asked for sources. I truly did and do hope there is some shining light at the end of the tunnel. (PS: I have a very specific reason for hating Fox.. which actually has nothing to do with any political coverage.. odd as that sounds)

Secondly... now now.. you consistently slam other posts for using a biased source and then point me to "Politicususa Real Liberal Politics" as though that is unbiased or even any less biased than Fox. That really is reducing the level of the thread a few notches in my opinion.

As to the content of the article. They are mostly are referring to the budget deficit.. not the national debt. They also then compare this years deficit to the 2008 deficit.. both of which were under Obama.  
"It is the lowest level of deficit spending to date under President Obama, who faced $1 trillion or more in annual deficits during his first term.”

Which sadly is like my son proclaiming he will pass 9th grade English... but when pressed admits its with a 71. "golf clap"

Again.. I am not anti-Obama, I did not vote for him... but I did not vote for Mitt Romney either. And the issues facing the US would be there which-ever of the two were in office, and their response would be the same. However, I still firmly believe that QE and bailouts ( as started by Bush, and continued by Obama) are like a bill that repeatedly is being pushed back. At some point ... someone will have to pay it. Neither party wants to own up to it.. at least not when they are in power.. but want the other party to "take the hit" for it.

I do agree with the overall jist of the article.. the GOP is looking for a "crisis of the month" with which to beat up Obama as the leader of Democrats. They have to.. they have tossed conservatives aside in favor of liberal ideals in order to buy more votes. The problem is ... its really hard to "out democrat" a democrat. Which leaves the republicans with precious few to vote for them ( and thus they court the "new legal illegal voter".

PS: I posted (back then) that I was not unhappy with the tax increase and I was not unhappy with the sequester. And ( and you can quote me on this) Count on the Repubs to go on and on at the next presidential election that is was the DEMOCRATS that raised taxes... without mentioning that is was Bush that reduced taxes but only for his presidency.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #7 - 05/21/13 at 15:21:20

Thank you Pine for a thoughtful and civil reply.

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #8 - 05/21/13 at 15:26:43

Starlifter wrote on 05/20/13 at 21:56:24:
For three years and more Beltway politics has been all about the deficit. Urgent action was needed to avert crisis. A Grand Bargain absolutely had to be reached. Fix the Debt, now now now!

what was obvious all along: for many deficit nuts, it was never really about the debt, it was about using deficits as a way to attack the social safety net. Deficits may have come down, but not the way they were supposed to — hey, we were supposed to be kicking 65 and 66 year-olds off  Medicare, not doing something so goody-goody as managing costs better.

You certainly are creative!! That I must admit.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 05/21/13 at 19:07:50

There is no celebration cos the liberals are smart enough to know that if we celebrate, the republicommunists will do something and bury the working people again and give it to the rich - again.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #10 - 05/21/13 at 19:34:32

Ain't it the truth.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 05/22/13 at 18:33:08

Geezus

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/17/24 at 18:55:12

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Where Are The Deficit Celebrations?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.