Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Exhaust questions/recomendations (Read 1066 times)
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Re: Exhaust questions/recomendations
Reply #45 - 05/27/13 at 10:49:47

no doubt that I'm going to be using the dyna, I just need to figure out if I should run the cone filter then jetting.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #46 - 05/28/13 at 08:19:29

I havent had a clock on it, but if its not a 6 second/60 MPH ride, its real close.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #47 - 05/28/13 at 09:30:24

woah that sounds pretty great.. how much tuning have you done to get it to that point? I had to keep messing with my bike for my test because it wouldn't get up to speed on the coarse.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #48 - 05/28/13 at 09:33:39

IDK if it matters, but I adjust valves to the tight side of Okay, so, I get that last bit of Opened Valve.
Jets in the carb
white washer
idle air
S/trapp w/14 disks
K&N drop in
& I weigh about 145.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #49 - 05/28/13 at 09:48:34

I never adjust valves to the tight side. The valves always tighten up over the miles. The reason is because of wear on the valve face and valve seat. This causes the valve stem to stick up slightly higher decreasing the valve clearance on the adjuster.

When the clearance is allowed to get too tight the exhaust valves can burn. Sitting tightly on the seat dissipates heat.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #50 - 05/28/13 at 10:35:49

My bike did jut the opposite. The adjusters rounded & compacted, loosening the setting. After the adjusters "broke in" & slowed @Waaay down on their changing profile I still adjust to the tight side & find I no longer have to adjust at 5,000 mile increments. The valve faces & seats shouldnt be changing enough to be the deciding factor in how it adjusts unless they just didnt get the seats all the way down & youre slowly spanking them into place every compression stroke,

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #51 - 05/28/13 at 11:08:37

Yours would be an unusual case. I have been adjusting motorcycle valves since the 60s and have observed most of the time that they tighten up. As have others I have spoken with.

There are always exceptions. I have seen poor heat treating and metallurgy causing short life in the adjusters and valve train. But this is rare but it does happen.

If the adjuster nuts are not torqued down enough they could loosen some. If the wrong oil or sub par oil is used there can be premature valve train and rocker arm wear. But also cam wear. I believe I will stick to what my long term experiences tell me.  Smiley

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #52 - 05/28/13 at 12:17:11

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/28/13 at 09:33:39:
IDK if it matters, but I adjust valves to the tight side of Okay, so, I get that last bit of Opened Valve.
Jets in the carb
white washer
idle air
S/trapp w/14 disks
K&N drop in
& I weigh about 145.

I think body weight is a important contributing factor.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #53 - 05/28/13 at 12:22:26

Heck yea,, accelerating mass takes Horsepower..

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #54 - 05/28/13 at 15:18:16

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/28/13 at 12:22:26:
Heck yea,, accelerating mass takes Horsepower..

But I don't go to church, so does it matter? And when I did, the priest always accelerated mass so we can get home for the football game.Smiley

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #55 - 05/28/13 at 16:03:11

Yea, & HE has he horsepower to get away with that,,
You try it & youll get in trouble,

IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #56 - 05/29/13 at 11:48:28

ahahhaha " and thank god for football and please let us win " amen. Yeah I'm 5'8 155lbs and I can get it pretty quick off the line but I seem to always want just that little bit more...
As for the valves I always thought they loosen up and that's why you do the adjustments... to tighten them back down. very interesting.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #57 - 05/29/13 at 12:28:32

For them to tighten up is rare. They DO "tighten up" some when the valve grows from heat. Thats why you have to leave that gap.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #59 - 05/29/13 at 13:02:10

The reason is that valve clearance will always get tighter over time as the valves wear. From the 2nd one,,

I can assure you, that is absolutely not always correct. My valve adjusters rounded off & shortened from the banging & beating, pushing the valves down. They did that at a rate that far exceeded the valve & seat wear that allowed them to press further up into the head.
The part about the ramps doesnt quite make sense to me either. I know Id rather have anything thats gonna hit me start off as close to me as possible, rather than be standing off & then slammed into me,,Close adjustments keep the ramp from slamming into the rocker & slapping the valve. That makes sense in my head. REsults discovered on race tracks by people with years of experience may contradict that. Ive set mine close for 20,000 miles, Ive seen no sign that Im doing it wrong,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 19:40:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust questions/recomendations

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.