Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Exhaust questions/recomendations (Read 1066 times)
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Exhaust questions/recomendations
Reply #15 - 05/23/13 at 08:04:07

Abbotsford? Next time you make a run down to Seattle stop at the Bent Bike in Lynnwood WA. They should have stacks of take off mufflers, I worked t the Auburn store and we stacked them like cord wood. HD, Honda, Yamaha, etc each had a designated "bin" they were put into. Bring it home in your car trunk, no hassle with customs that way.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #16 - 05/23/13 at 09:21:39

I actually just heard about that shop a couple weeks ago and been told its pretty awesome. Perfect place to go and piece your bike together. That sure would be cool if you still worked there haha, another question about the muffler though... is there any way to not have it chrome? Don't  like the shine of it.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #17 - 05/23/13 at 10:20:05

320 grit sand paper followed by bbq paint... In my pic it needs repainted, lasts a couple years between coats.

Like so:

The gas tank, fuel filter, gas cap and cap cover, rear fender, tail light, plate mount, headlight shell, headlight guts, headlight mounts, grips, cables, mirrors, seat and springs all came from Bent Bike in Auburn. Bars are from an independent HD shop in Tacoma. Sissybar is out of a friend's collection.

It now has a VN800A 2 up seat, 2 tone paint, no fork gaiters, different mirror mounts (modified windshield clamps from Memphis Shades, Emgo mirror clamps are garbage), needs new grips, the 1970s n.o.s. ones have finally split (7 years on the current bars)...

Take a thick skin in with you, the shop has interesting items and atrocious customer service.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #18 - 05/23/13 at 11:01:46

I'm guessing more of a pick and pay shop. I know a couple of those places... awesome though I'll check that out someday. How crazy of a sanding job do I need to do until I can paint it?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #19 - 05/23/13 at 15:44:54

Scuff the entire unit until the shine is gone. The paint needs to have a rough enough surface under it to ensure a mechanical bond, not just a paint on paint style chemical bond.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #20 - 05/23/13 at 16:21:04

So at my work I have a air tool that I can grind with... you think that'll be a little to powerfull of a job like this? It is the same thing I used for my rear shocks. Just thinkin effort and time will be better this way Wink

IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #21 - 05/23/13 at 16:50:24

How's those Helicopter sounds compare to a PBR-(Patrol Boats River)?  

As for those looking for a Dyna muffler...cost too much for me so I made this muffler myself last week cause I got tired of re-packing my fiberglass ones every 2-3 months.

I bought a spiral steel baffle (1 1/2" I.D.) from Dennis Kirk on close-out (They don't have any more), a 2 1/4" x 24" steel exhaust pipe and a 2 1/4" to 1 3/4" reducer from Auto Zone - welded them together, cut a 45 degree slash on the end shortening the pipe to 18", installed the baffle, welded on a mount bolt on the back and painted the whole thing with High heat (2,000 degree) gloss black paint. Don't know how it sounds yet but it gets installed next week. No more re-packing!! Smiley

Cost -

Exhaust pipe - $11.00
Exhaust reducer - $4.95
Dennis Kirk / HardKrome Spiral Exhaust Baffle - $34.95 plus $11.00 S&H

You might also want to look at these Baffles -

http://www.jpcycles.com/hard-krome/baffles

https://www.denniskirk.com/drag-specialties/baffle-18610739.p4406200.prd/4406...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/118/24858/ITEM/Hard-Krome-Replaceme...

« Last Edit: 05/23/13 at 17:51:14 by Super Thumper »  

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 05/23/13 at 18:35:18

WWW   IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #23 - 05/23/13 at 20:39:04

vers.... you think they really wont use that sign for fineing? I doubt that for sure. To many laws that are rediculous... Where i live we can't have tint on the front seat windows or we will get a $200 dollar fine or a Complete V.I. for having our race cars straight piped. Just crazy ...

Do people move their rectifier into the air box even when its still being used or they get the K&N first so it's not funcional anymore?

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #24 - 05/24/13 at 04:08:26

Renegade is it illegal to have tint on the front windows, or is it illegal to have over a certain shade of tint on the front windows?

And yea people put the rectifier in the functioning air box.   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #25 - 05/24/13 at 09:20:40

illegal to have tint on the front windows. I believe in the states you can tint them how you'd like if I'm correct. That's what my family says who lives there.

And sweet thanks a lot for the answer... How do you do that just bolt it in there and away you go?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 05/24/13 at 10:01:41

renegade1 wrote on 05/24/13 at 09:20:40:
illegal to have tint on the front windows. I believe in the states you can tint them how you'd like if I'm correct. That's what my family says who lives there.

And sweet thanks a lot for the answer... How do you do that just bolt it in there and away you go?

You're not allowed to tint any darker then the darkest factory tint.
Which many people ignore anyway just like they're not supposed to text or hands on call either.

WWW   IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #27 - 05/24/13 at 10:09:27

makes sense. the only ones that can have it are the ones that have it from factory .. bmw Mercedes audi... and so on all of which I can not afford haha. Is there big fines where you live for loud exhaust or do they usually ignore it?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 05/24/13 at 11:24:03

I think you mis under stand me...
you can get your tint anywhere.
It just can't be darker than any factory available tint.

That'll go good in the crash report... cause of accident... limo tint on drivers and forward windshield... goes well with "I didn't see him"

There are still a few "wake the dead" exhaust pipes in my area, not limited to m/c's either.  So either they are ignored or not bothered with until something else comes up.

WWW   IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #29 - 05/24/13 at 11:41:59

It varies from state to state. In Tennessee for the front windshield..  Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 17:36:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust questions/recomendations

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.