Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Exhaust questions/recomendations (Read 1066 times)
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Exhaust questions/recomendations
05/20/13 at 21:56:23

Hey guys just wondering what kind of pipes you have all been running? I've been thinking of running a straight pipe instead of the bulky muffler with maybe a small baffle in it...? sound good and do the jets then have to be messed with?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Exhaust questions/recomendations
Reply #1 - 05/20/13 at 22:53:34

YOu can get a decent bump in power, a much nicer sound that will not make everyone hate you AND you wont create yourself a headache trying to get it to run right AND its cheap AND it looks good
Dyna

& No, Dyna isnt my name,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 05/21/13 at 04:42:45

Have run open, and then a gutted 12" glasspack (packing keeps burning out, cheap JC Whitney/Shadetree Powersports sourced Emgo/Motoasia garbage) with a 29" fishtail extension for over a decade. Added a "stick stopper/beer can" baffle, have seen it listed both ways in the catalogs, in 2005 or 2006. Open pipe the bike sounds like a single engine UH1D Huey medivac helicopter, with the glasspack baffle and stick stopper it sounds like a LOACH (Light Observation/Attack Craft, Helicopter)... Be ready for noise violation issues unless you live in one of the very few states that has lifted its muffler requirements.

One of the best things about living where I do... lax motorcycle policies. No muffler restrictions (open pipes are legal), no handlebar height limit, turn signals not required, only need one mirror to be legal and they don't specify which side of the bike or set size requirements. Oh, and you can in fact get a motorcycle only license here...

Stock airbox and filter with the access door removed since 1999 or early 2000. Stock jetting through 2006, then bumped up to a 155/55, which is way too fat, even with the intake/exhaust modifications. Smokes like an old big cam 400 powered Freightliner, lots of toasted black fuel vapors and heavy carbon fluff deposits. In combination with the 15" rise handlebars and full rear fender, dropped the fuel economy from the 70s into the mid 30s mpg.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #3 - 05/21/13 at 08:28:30

I ran an empty slash cut for a year until it rusted out (screamin eagle), then picked up a fishtail with a baffle for $20 at a yard sale. Much quieter now Sad , makes the neighbors happier when I leave at 7am, and also authority figures from this fascist state.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 05/21/13 at 08:47:00

WD wrote on 05/21/13 at 04:42:45:
Open pipe the bike sounds like a single engine UH1D Huey medivac helicopter, with the glasspack baffle and stick stopper it sounds like a LOACH (Light Observation/Attack Craft, Helicopter)

Those are sounds I will never forget...burned into my brain they are.

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 05/21/13 at 08:55:11

Me too Huh

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 05/21/13 at 09:37:17

I grew up a few miles from Gray's Army Airfield (on Fort Lewis) in western Washington. The sight and sound of 300 Hueys, Blackhawks, Chinooks, Cobras and observation birds going over the house will likely never be forgotten. Biggest single sortie training mission they ever flew.

One of the Dad's in the Scout Troop was a retired CWO, started flying Cobras when the Corp got them, retired from the Army after a service to service transfer in the late 1960s. One of his old Cobras was sold to the WA State Dept of Natural Resources as a wildland fire fighting craft... he recognized its Army tail numbers through the cheap state repaint.  Grin

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #7 - 05/22/13 at 10:51:02

I keep looking for the dyna  but can't find it anywhere at a reasonable cost. I phoned Harley down the street here and they said I'd have to buy both of them and it was around 200 some odd dollars. Was hoping to find one on here. What's the usual price for these?

IP Logged
Stangdude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucson, AZ
Reply #8 - 05/22/13 at 10:59:52

Got mine shipped off ebay for $30.

Search 65747-94 (P/N for it)

IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #9 - 05/22/13 at 11:11:48

I run a Jardine pipe. loud and farty. Nearly fully open. Had trouble tuning the carb for it. I eventually got it tuned with still a bit of backfiring. Still working on it.

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 05/22/13 at 11:20:27

renegade1 wrote on 05/22/13 at 10:51:02:
I keep looking for the dyna  but can't find it anywhere at a reasonable cost. I phoned Harley down the street here and they said I'd have to buy both of them and it was around 200 some odd dollars. Was hoping to find one on here. What's the usual price for these?

Watch eBay and you will find one (or a pair) at a reasonable price.  If you get a pair.....you can always sell the extra one here.  You should be able to get really nice ones for about $ 30 each.  No need to buy rusty, dented or scratched ones.......wait a week and a better set will come along.

I posted an add on Craiglist.....and got several responses and ended up buying a nearly new pair for $ 50.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #11 - 05/22/13 at 12:18:14

Make sure you get the one with the slotted bracket (similar to the savage mount) close to the middle of the muffler, not the end. Don't get the ones with the tabs or studs. Also, make sure it does not have a crossover pipe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davidson-FXD-1340-1450-Dyna-Glide-Exhaust-Pipe...

The BEST place to look is a local independent harley shop. Not a dealer selling chrome. The kind that's run by guys with dirt under their nails, builds custom jobs, and has a shed full of used parts out back.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #12 - 05/22/13 at 12:27:38

If you have the coin don't forget about the Raask.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 05/22/13 at 14:12:23

Man,, custom shops take Dyna muffs off all day long. Theyll sell for a whoppin $20.00. YOur local shop is just being nasty. TRy callin & acting like youre a HD owner, just moved to town & had an "In TRansit" accident, looking for a clean, used Dyna. Ohh, & If you have that last guys name, try talkin to someone else.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #14 - 05/22/13 at 18:12:19

Coin... what's that? Wife kid and another one on the way that stuff is long gone months before I get the paycheque haha. Well I'll try again with the local shop maybe wear a harley shirt or something hahha

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 19:41:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust questions/recomendations

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.