Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Gas tank question (Read 387 times)
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gas tank question
05/20/13 at 20:56:26

I want to weld a plate where the stock gauge cluster goes.....("gauges? We don't need no stinking gauges!").....what I want to know is, if I grind down that lip on the top of the tank, will the top piece & the tunnel separate when I get it ground to flat? Obviously I'm welding a plate in, so the top isn't a concern......but it cant be easy to get that seam rewelded from the bottom...... Are ya tracking with me, here??? Lol

I know, it sounds confusing......

IP Logged
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Gas tank question
Reply #1 - 05/20/13 at 20:59:22

yes, 1387 pics on my phone.....lol

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/21/13 at 04:58:32

I have done one tank like you want.  If you grind the lip down the inner piece does seperate - then you end up with a thin edged top that is hard to weld.  It would be better to take a jig saw and cut around the outside of the vertical piece first - then remove some of the top of the inner speedometer hole.  That way the top remains full thickness and is easier to weld.  Cut a piece of shet metal and lightly  shape a compound curve in it before welding it in and you won't need as much filler.  Before you weld the top in, hold a piece of metal on the bottom and mark it for cutting - the bottom welds in much easier than the top as you don't need it to be butt welded.  Drill a few holes in the side of the speedometer hole at the top and bottom before you weld the top and bottom shut......then it will add capacity to the fuel tank.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gdrseeker

Addicted!!

Carson Valley NV
Reply #3 - 05/21/13 at 08:42:37

Dave did a good job on his tank.  It looked like this when he sold it to me.

Now it looks like this

I have a couple spare tanks and I want to have a friend who knows how to weld give it a try, he hasn't had the time yet.

1996 Savage, Jardine, K&N, 145 / 55 jets, 1 turn out at 5000 ft. elevation.
  IP Logged
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/21/13 at 09:59:41

darn you, Suzuki, for putting a hole like that in an otherwise nicely shaped tank!!!!

Prolly cost them a bunch extra, too!!!

That looks like a complete pain.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/21/13 at 10:41:36

The only other way that may work, is to cut a piece of metal that fits inside the metal lip.....and have someone tig the metal lip and melt it down onto the top.  I don't own a TIG.....but if I tried that with a torch I believe the top would warp pretty badly from the heat.

IP Logged
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/21/13 at 11:50:23

I can TIG weld.....& that's a difficult approach.
Not impossible, but difficult.
I suspect pounding that lip down some would help.
Unfortunately I think either leaving the hole, or buying a tank to try it in are my options.

Anyone have a dented to unrecognizable tank they want to donate????? Grin

IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #7 - 05/21/13 at 16:32:43

I've got a tank you can have for practicing. The left half is beautiful. The right half - well................. take a look at the thread below for the pics. If you don't mind practicing on just half the circle, it's yours for the shipping, unless you live close by.

IP Logged
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/21/13 at 20:15:49

perfect!!!

PayPal work? Tell me what it costs.....well, before you ship it, lets make sure it's not $50! Lol  Cheesy

IP Logged
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/21/13 at 20:16:03

IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #10 - 05/22/13 at 03:26:28

I have to get in town to the shop to get the size and weight (unless you know it) and then I can get you a rough estimate on shipping. I'll try to have it by tomorrow.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 05/22/13 at 06:50:25

This might seem a bit bizaar.....but what about a "sculptured" tank approach?  Just go ahead and weld a plate onto the raised lip, and then just blend the edges in with body filler.  The speedometer section would just be raised up a bit.....and you could paint or stripe the tank in a way that could work with the raised portion.  Or do something really strange and weld in some hole punched metal or expanded metal if you don't want the tank to have extra capacity and aren't going to weld the bottom closed.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 05/22/13 at 08:54:29

Dave wrote on 05/22/13 at 06:50:25:
This might seem a bit bizaar.....but what about a "sculptured" tank approach?  Just go ahead and weld a plate onto the raised lip, and then just blend the edges in with body filler.  The speedometer section would just be raised up a bit.....and you could paint or stripe the tank in a way that could work with the raised portion.  Or do something really strange and weld in some hole punched metal or expanded metal if you don't want the tank to have extra capacity and aren't going to weld the bottom closed.

Sounds kewl....you could use the surface to mount a plaque or badge, or perhaps some other guages like temp, rpm etc.....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #13 - 05/22/13 at 08:57:22

Or weld the plate on and then punch a hole in it big enough for the cup holder to carry your drink.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #14 - 05/22/13 at 09:01:25

DieselBob wrote on 05/22/13 at 08:57:22:
Or weld the plate on and then punch a hole in it big enough for the cup holder to carry your drink.

Uh oh....the wife likes that idea....which speedo do I have to get to replace the current one?.....sigh....
Roll Eyes

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:19:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas tank question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.