Curious (Read 299 times)
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Curious
05/20/13 at 14:38:31

Of the suzuki bikes which do you think run out the best.
Need to be a shaft or belt drive, 800-1000 cc or so, prefer cast wheels so no tubes. Like a low center of gravity and be a cruiser.
C50, M50, S83? Another? Not crazy about the big valanced fenders though.
Like to move up to be more highway and two up friendly. Still be able to play in the curves as well....lol

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Curious
Reply #1 - 05/20/13 at 15:46:16

IDK about the wheels, but the Bergman 650 is a fast sunvagun & low center/g..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #2 - 05/21/13 at 01:03:48

Uhhh, thats a scoot justin, not a cruiser. Looking at cruisers.
Kinda leanig towards the M50, maybe a kawi 900.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 05/21/13 at 04:56:59

S83/VS1400 Intruder is okay if you are 5'8" or shorter. Same squashed chassis and horrible ergonomics as the S50/VS800 Intruder. Terrible electrical system, think Lucas from the mid 50s to about 1970... and the Intruders are worse. And it is 400cc over your preferred range.

C50/Volusia is decent right off the showroom floor. A bit underpowered (detuned Intruder engine) in the earlier versions. Current generation is a very decent middleweight cruiser. It does need taller handlebars though.

M50/Marauder needs tweaking. Good power, lousy ergonomics.

If I'd never had an 800A Vulcan, the 900 would "trip my trigger", but... the fuel injection is touchy, the front pulley is undersized putting excessive strain on the drive belt, the chassis is "soft" and the ergonomics leave a lot to be desired. I'm always on the lookout for an 800A at a good price. Mine was built to the hilt, put out 55hp at the rear wheel on a chassis dyno. I twisted the speedo cable in half once with the needle pegged out (140 mph+ indicated), blew the hub mounted speedo drive apart the second time I maxed out the speedo needle. I'm reworking a VN800A seat for my Savage, that's how good the stock seat is. The 800s are everything you want other than being chain driven. My 800A covered 44K miles in 18 months of ownership, my 800B saw 5-6K in 2 months before I crashed it (bought used, missed that it had bad steering head bearings).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #4 - 05/21/13 at 06:35:58

Don't forget to look at the V Star 950 either. While I've never rode a V Star 950, I do have the 1100 and they are nice bikes. Justin is right about the Burgman 650, they are fast. I had one until I traded it for the V Star.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/21/13 at 07:12:41

Wolfman wrote on 05/20/13 at 14:38:31:
Of the suzuki bikes which do you think run out the best.
Need to be a shaft or belt drive, 800-1000 cc or so, prefer cast wheels so no tubes. Like a low center of gravity and be a cruiser.
C50, M50, S83? Another? Not crazy about the big valanced fenders though.
Like to move up to be more highway and two up friendly. Still be able to play in the curves as well....lol

Wolfman,
You can get everything you want with the C50. Cast wheel are available on some models. You will still get the full fenders but aftermarkets are available. Make sure to sit on both a M50 and C50. There is a difference. If looking for used, stay with the fuel injected models. I think they made the switch in 2005. Floor boards with a heel/toe shifter replaced the pegs about the same time.

I purchased a 2007 C50 about six weeks ago. I am pleased with the handling and quick turn in. It feels very light on it's feet even though it comes in a little over 600 pounds. I have no issues cruising on the Interstate although there are many on their forum that think it needs help for long distance cruising. There is a big aftermarket in adding rear drives with a different final ratio to the 50's. I guess it is all in where you come from. After flogging a S40 down the highway, to me the C50 feels sedate at cruising speeds.

Good hunting and keep us posted

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #6 - 05/21/13 at 13:14:35

Yeah 12B ive thought about the 950. Like its looks, haven't sat on one though...yet. Kinda got a bad taste in my mouth on yammies though from my younger days. Seems i spent as much time wrenching on the yammie enduro i had as rideing it. Seems there was always something. Heard some of the early run had some problems when they came out reading reviews.
Hows the 1100 handle? Top heavy? Half acre needed to turn? Good take off and cruise speeds?

I hate chain drives, like the idea of being able to plug a tubeless to get my arse home after a flat, lil more room and get up and go for two-up and a bit more heft for the highway. AND still be able to play in the curve....lol

Blinky, ive been eyeballing the C50s. Heard they were a lil underpowered. But compared to the savage i probably wouldn't notice it much?

WD, i thought the M50 was UGLY when they first came out. But the look has kinda grown on me...lol  What is it about the ergonomics that rubs you the wrong way? Leg room, reach, top heavy.
Thats one reason im kinda leaning towards a 900 or so top end. Maybe an 1100. I ain't the man i used to be before my back injury and don't want a couch. Most of my runs are short and around town so handling is paramount.
Like you ive always kinda liked the kawi 900 but something about it has just never 'tripped my trigger'(showing our age dude).

Seem to remember an 800A on the local craigslistings. The marauder any good?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 05/21/13 at 13:32:56

I rode a Marauder for a couple of weeks... I liked it...
It felt peppier and more nimble than a c50...
JMHO...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #8 - 05/21/13 at 16:42:11

Couple of M50s at decent prices on the local CL.
Been peruseing reviews(riders) and kinda likeing what im seeing.
Do like the looks of the pre 2010 better then the post 2010s. That snoopy M109r headlight just turns me off for some reason...lol
Volusia aint bad either.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 05/22/13 at 05:27:58

I'm 6'2" 235#, the Marauder bars are too low, the peg to seat distance is too little... If I ride Lisa's 800 Intruder, my hands are on the grips (10" mini apes), my feet are on the rider pegs, and my butt is on the pillion.

Showing my age? I'm 40, but my wife swears on a stack of Bibles it is really 240...  Roll Eyes Most of my views on the world are straight out of the late 18th through mid 19th centuries. We even added a second mini draft horse this weekend and I'm getting ready to restock my horse drawn single bottom plow... Hmm, might be showing a touch of my Amish/Mennonite ancestry there.  Roll Eyes

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/22/13 at 09:32:41

My C50 was very noticeable coming from my Savage. It felt bigger, beefier. Holding it up was difficult at first but it's become easier. As someone said it's almost double the weight of the Savage.
Cruising is a dream. I no longer get tossed around any time an asthmatic sneezes in my direction.
It could have a bit more oomph but it's fine for now. I only got mine in August so I'm still learning on it. Put 1000 miles on it last year and already over 1000 this year.
Cornering sucks. It's no where near as nimble as my Savage was. Although I'm still feeling that out as well. I scraped floor boards twice in the past two weeks.

--Steve

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #11 - 05/22/13 at 09:46:52

I scrape my board all the time on the C50. I was suprised at how easily they drag. I find that the balance on the C50 is very good. And it seems to have plenty of power to haul my a$$ around. It doesn't corner like the S40 but who would expect it to (at twice the weight). I got mine as a leftover. It was still in the crate in the warehouse and as soon as I got it through their thick heads that I wasn't buying a 2011, they told me thay had several 2009's in the warehouse. Brand new, out the door price of $5000. Not a bad deal.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #12 - 05/22/13 at 19:44:18

Wolfman,
The V star 1100 isn't bad at all to handle at low speeds or make turns. It's pretty well balanced. I'm 5'10"/150lbs and even with my disabilities, can handle the 1100 just fine. The V Star 650 and 110 are shaft drive while the 950 and 1300 are belt drive. My 1100 has 53,000 miles and I haven't had any problems with it

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #13 - 05/23/13 at 04:16:38

After reading that it was almost 2x the weight I had to go check out the specs, WOW the C50 is 611 Lbs. dry!? I wouldn't have thought it was that heavy  Shocked  

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #14 - 05/23/13 at 05:35:19

Wolfman, check out this thread, where I test rode the V800T (Intruder? to you)

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1368387717

I would buy it as an upgrade from the Savage, BUT...

... foot controls far too far forward, my short legs need them farther back,

... digital speedo on the handlebars looks nice, but where's the tach? Engine is wonderfully quiet, I don't know how hard it's revving...

Other than that, a flyscreen and a full set of bags and I'm good to go !

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:25:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › Curious

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.