Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Picked up another bike, and having trouble. (Read 154 times)
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Picked up another bike, and having trouble.
05/20/13 at 11:27:52

Hey all,
So, no one shoot me for this, but I picked up another bike and it's a honda shadow spirit 1100 (2000).  I'm having an issue with it, and did post my question on a shadow forum, but NO ONE there replies.  I was hopeing you guys would be willing to help me figure this one out......I still have the savage. Wink

The bike seems to be running really lean.  It has Cobra 2" drag pipes (after market obviously, and k&n airfilter), and even when just sitting and warming up the bike (carb'd) for a few minutes, the first 6" or so of the pipes turned red hot.  It was to the point where it'd be kinda hard to see during the day, but in the evening/night it's obvious.  I pulled the plugs, and the two plugs in the rear cylinder were very white, the front two were also white, but not as bad.  So it is running lean.

Now, the guy said that when the exhaust and air cleaner were put on that it was also rejetted.  I didn't get the jet sizes from him (but will call and ask), and for all I know it may not have been jetted/tuned.

Out here it's a few weeks wait just to get your bike looked at by a mechanic, and it'll cost me $300-$500 to put it on the dyno, check it, tune, check tune....etc.

Thoughts on what I could check/ do myself to try and fix this would be GREATLY appreciated.  

THANK YOU

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Re: Picked up another bike, and having trouble.
Reply #1 - 05/20/13 at 11:32:32

Order some jets for the carb you have...look up what stock is and then upjet a few sizes in increments of 2...
maybe put a stock airfilter in there maybe to keep the air flow restricted?

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/20/13 at 20:34:13

Bubba,
I do actually have the stock air filter, so I could do that.  I'm sure it'd have to help some.  The thing is I want to get some different pipes on it, but don't want to pay to get it tuned twice.  That being said, do you think if I did what you said about the jets that it would be "good enough" to drive around for the time being?  That is until I get the new pipes and get a real tune on it.

Sorry for all the questions.  I have a fair amount of experience when it comes to cars, but not as much when it comes to motorcycles.  I wonder if someone somewhere may have posted what the proper jets would be for that bike, with that exhaust.

Either way, thanks a bunch for the reply.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/20/13 at 22:55:46

If the exhaust isnt stock & the jets are, well,, Id sure look at the carb
OR
put the exhaust back,,

Naaaah..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/20/13 at 23:48:23

Justin,
Well the problem is I currently don't know for sure if the jets are stock or not.  SUPPOSEDLY they aren't, but it is running real lean.  I guess bottom line is i'm going to have to tear it apart, which i was hopeing to avoid doing.  I'm not sure how the fuel mixture adjustments are on these bikes, but i was hopeing that i'd be able to richen it up some, and be good enough for the moment.  We'll see.....

Any more advice is still appreciated.  Thanks for the help guys, even though it's not a savage.  I appreciate it. Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/21/13 at 05:39:22

Well, Dude, Ive been on other forums, too. When I was doin the top end on a Raptor 660 (?sounds about rite) I posted on that site & they just acted like it was invisible. Finally 1 or 2 guys answered & helped a little, but nothing like the guys here. WE TRY around here.. Now, as to your problem.,. well,, IDK Hoot about what youre messin with, so, Ill step back & watch, Good luck,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/21/13 at 09:53:47

Justin,
You're right.  It tends to be that way.  That's why I like this forum. I realize it's a different bike than this forum is for, but everyone on here is cool.  Thanks for the advice, and your time.  I'm sure i'll get it figured out one way or another.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 05/22/13 at 19:59:41

Blue04Savage wrote on 05/21/13 at 09:53:47:
Justin,
You're right.  It tends to be that way.  That's why I like this forum. I realize it's a different bike than this forum is for, but everyone on here is cool.  Thanks for the advice, and your time.  I'm sure i'll get it figured out one way or another.

The only way to avoid paying for 2 tune-ups is to do this one yourself, and if you want to ride the bike then that means you need to pull the carbs and find out what jets are inside.  Stock jets or not, you need bigger ones.
When you know what you have then start by going one size larger on pilot jets and 2 sizes larger on the main jets.
Check the needles too, they need to be adjusted for a richer mix as well.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 06:27:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Picked up another bike, and having trouble.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.