Slime (Read 85 times)
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Slime
05/20/13 at 11:24:59

After a second rear flat in about 2 months im wondering if anyone is useing slime or another tube sealant in their bike tires?
I use it in all my trailer, mower and tractor tires on the farm and swear by it. But wondering if its worth it in a tubed bike tire. Most i use it in are tubeless. Yes i know it leaves a mess. Changed a few tires ive had it in.
But after 1 1/2 hours by the road sunday after pick up a nail in a new rear tire Im thinking it might of got me back to the house.

Thoughts? Experiences?

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: Slime
Reply #1 - 05/20/13 at 11:38:19

I don't have any personal experience with "fix-a-flats" on tubed tires, but I've heard from a few people that they just don't work as well as with tubeless tires.   Roll Eyes

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
45acp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

on a shooting range in OK.
Reply #2 - 05/20/13 at 11:40:47

i wouldnt do it. it never works in tubed bicycle tires. i dont think motorcycle tires would be any different.

shoot fast. reload faster.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 05/20/13 at 11:47:56

It'll seal tiny thorn leaks,... but, most times a nail or screw will blow a tube...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #4 - 05/20/13 at 12:03:58

Yeah thats kinda been my thoughts. Wouldn't be worth the mess in a tubed bike tire.
New tire and kinda ruined the whole day. Was going down to dinner and decoration with the family. Made it worse i had the daughter on the back and she had to set there as well.

Had the ramps in the truck but the rest of them were already an hour ahead of us(daughter wasn't ready when i got there).
Had to call the old lady and she was almost there(70 miles down the road).
On top of that had to borrow a cell phone to do it. Charged mine but left it laying on the frigging desk!
AND had left my adapter for my air compressor on the desk as well. Could of probably limped the 5 miles back to the daughters place. Bad day!
Second nail in two months.

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #5 - 05/20/13 at 12:44:05

I have Ride-On in my tires. They claim it'll fix a puncture up to 1/8" in tubed tires. I haven't picked up a nail yet to test, but I don't see a downside to using it. The "mess" if there is a puncture is water-washable, and if Ride-On saves me from being stuck by the side of the road even once, I'm ahead of the game.

- David
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #6 - 05/20/13 at 13:33:53

I use to think it was a great idea... now, I pretty much avoid the entire thing. You know what beats a perfectly good tire? Nothing.  A tire with holes, is a tire with holes.

The old "fix a flat" appearently causes issues mostly with regards to after the fact things:
It can gum up the air valve... ours are expensive to replace ( metal 90 degree)
It can shred inside and ball up causing the tire to seem worn.
it can puddle (bad application) and make the tire seem wrong.

I use to keep a can for my daughter so she would not have to change a tire. Didn't work... she through the whole tread.. so she still called me.

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #7 - 05/20/13 at 13:55:55

To each his own. I've used Flat Fix in car tires for 30 years and been spared half a dozen roadside tire changes. Only failed once but still kept the tire inflated long enough to get to a garage; other times it lasted weeks. No garage has ever given me a hard time when they plugged the tire.

Ride-on is a different type of product, but hopfully it will work at least some of the time. Beats trying to remove and patch a tube on a deserted highway, even if it only works half the time. Their site makes some impressive claims. And it did stop a slow leak I had several thousand miles back.

- David
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 09:43:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Slime

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.