Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
temperamental midrange (Read 110 times)
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
temperamental midrange
05/19/13 at 18:21:33

all right i pretty much have this bike running really well (thanks to everyone for helping me out, especially some of the old timers. Lancer was right about modest jetting) but something weird is happening. sometimes the mid range is not there and the bike runs horrible. other times the midrange is there and the bike runs almost perfect.
 1 time in particular I started off in first and it had barely any power and then WHAM!  the bike almost ran out from under me in just a giant immediate surge of power and speed.
  I have a Dina jet needle and little clip, and I found washers, but what I'm thinking is somehow the needle gets stuck, then when it pops out WHAM! i have mid range.

with the stock needle, what is used to separate the spring and the washer on top?

with my Dina jet needle there is a little clip dealy that doesn't fit on the stock needle.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll figure it out I'm just interested in whether anyone else has had a problem much like this and what did they find to be the cause.

'03 LS 650 bobber - Highly modified...crashed it.
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Re: temperamental midrange
Reply #1 - 05/19/13 at 18:48:12

Refer to this..

http://imgur.com/a/knj1F

The stock needle as shown goes inside the slide with the disc bolted on top of it to hold it down. The thickness of the white spacer determines how rich or lean the mid range is.

Your after market needle could be sticking. Huh

Also see this

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1309246277

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #2 - 05/19/13 at 18:54:27

ya gotcha Apache,, I think the needle is sticking. thanks for that link those photos are super helpful. I'll have to go down to the small parts store and see if I can find a clip to fit well. I don't know where the original is.
Might you have a link to a nice rebuild kit for that mikuni?

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 05/19/13 at 18:56:57

Sorry, don't have one but if I run across a kit I will post it.

Edit..You can order carb parts from here,,

http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=1442281&categ...

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 05/20/13 at 03:47:29

I just read in another thread where someone had the small spring on the slide needle on the wrong side......I wonder if this is your problem?  If you put it on the wrong side (top) it would be pushing your slide needle down too far and the needle would be wedging into the jet.

The needle should have the washers/spacer on top, the clip, as washer beneath the clip, and then the spring.....and all of that should be inserted into the slide with the plate and screws holding that stuff down in the slide.  You can use the parts diagram that Apachesnow posted to help with the assembly order.

« Last Edit: 05/20/13 at 06:34:46 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 05/20/13 at 05:53:54

Assuming the washer/spring are properly installed on top of the needle...
Remember that if using the Dynojet needle with 5 grooves for the clip to adjust mid range mixture, the plastic spacer can be eliminated if desired.

If something is sticking I would think its more likely the slide vs the needle.
Since it is vacuum controlled it does not need much to interfere with its movement.  Just check the inside of the carb for gunk and clean if necessary.  If already clean then check your vacuum tube ... Perhaps there is an air leak that is causing your problems.

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #6 - 05/20/13 at 10:17:57

hmm, ok imma check it out right now. the spring and washers and are all correctly in the right place. I doubt thats its gunk in the carburetor I've taken it apart and cleaned it like 6 times now,, however there is one place that I can't seem to clean really well, which is the little crevices in the bowl.

Hey Lancer, what would cause the slide to stick and do I fix that?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 05/20/13 at 17:04:43

Boogieman wrote on 05/20/13 at 10:17:57:
hmm, ok imma check it out right now. the spring and washers and are all correctly in the right place. I doubt thats its gunk in the carburetor I've taken it apart and cleaned it like 6 times now,, however there is one place that I can't seem to clean really well, which is the little crevices in the bowl.

Hey Lancer, what would cause the slide to stick and do I fix that?

Dirt, grit, or carbon blown from the cylinder back through the carb can cause some difficulty for slide movement.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 02:51:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › temperamental midrange

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.