Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Is Your Life Any Better Since Obama Is President (Read 328 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Re: Is Your Life Any Better Since Obama Is Preside
Reply #15 - 05/20/13 at 11:37:04

WebsterMark wrote on 05/20/13 at 10:08:46:

How is the economy ‘better’ now than 2008; specifically?

I wasn’t talking about 1971; I was looking long back long term. What’s good for business is good for all.Welfare for business is a broad statement but I don’t think anyone would argue there’s not abuse going on in the tax code that business tax advantage of. How ADM gets a penny in farm subsidies is beyond me.

[i]I hope that cleared up my position.

Very well, I wish everyone were so clear.

I get frustrated by statements like this. My father-in-law would proclaim loudly and often "whats good for farmers is good for all"... often when the subject of farm price subsidies was brought up.

I like it this way.. "Whats good for all ... is good for all". Anything else... and I get REAL suspicious real fast!
It good for business to not pay any tax... but that's not so good for the rest of us.
Its good for business to have no regulations ( pollution, usury, codes( fire))... but that's not so good for the rest of us.
Its good for business to have protective tarrifs... but that SURE aint so good for some of us.
Its good for business to have price supports... but not good for the rest of us.
Its good for business to have a "buyer of last resort"... but someone has to pay for it.

What is good for all (business included) is for a fair and "mostly" free market. Where business can make decisions based on a free market economy... not decisions based on second guessing the FED... or insider FED info. Where savers (not speculators) can benefit from their work and savings.

Can you tell I just read one of Ron Pauls books???

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #16 - 05/20/13 at 12:15:12

Starlifter wrote on 05/19/13 at 21:29:56:
Yes, and so are the lives of most Americans.

...so you are saying that your life was better under Bush??

No Star, I'm not saying that. I started this thread just to get members opinions. I think Obama isn't living up to a lot of his promises but you can blame a lot of that on Congress. I grateful he has kept us out of another war. Maybe things are so furked up no one can straighten them out. My biggest gripe with Obama is leave my guns alone. Guns are a family tradition where I come from. Conn. has a no assault weapon ban and it worked about as good as the war on drugs.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #17 - 05/20/13 at 12:38:07

Pine wrote on 05/20/13 at 11:25:11:
Dane Allen wrote on 05/20/13 at 09:50:53:
With regard to the question of whether we are better off than in 2008 that isn't the right question, rather, it is why did it take soo long to get to the point we are now at? I think when the true economic data comes out it will show we are in a stagflation coming out of a Depression. The conservative types, such as myself, will be inclined to say that had the spending been cut, taxes for business lowered and no massive bailouts or ultra-massive stimuluses we would be at near full employment in an economic boom.

As a fellow conservative... I agree but only to a point. In 2008, I was very much ready for an in EAGER anticipation of a repeat of 1980. Under Carter when inflation soared. I my expectation was that interest rates would rise.. I could invest my savings at the higher rate and reap my just reward over time. Instead ... interest rates were squashed and remain dead. Instead of individuals being able to invest... the FED gave money only to the banks (because there were no savers), who in turn made the money available to borrowers... the difference.. savers cannot participate in the system, only the FED and banks. Or to put plainly... retired folks with cash to save and who need a return on that savings as a source of income are being robbed. Interest is low ...not due to market forces .. but due the FED and banks. who is being hurt directly... retired persons. But that's only half the robbery. The other half of the robbery is the accumulation of debt that is being inflicted on the very young, who will be saddled with the repayment. So two groups, neither of which have good representation are being burdened. Had moderate interest rates been allowed, then all savers would be brought to the table and the QE would not be needed at ALL! But banks could not profit (as much) by doing so. Still there would have been pain. Inflation for sure... but that will come at some point anyway, NO ONE disputes it. The question is who will pay when. The longer we put it off the more it will hurt.  

Very good points!!  Smiley

Politicians have been in the business of using the public's credit to mollify the citizens until the next election and we have fallen for it every time. The whole point of the massive debt is to steal from the next generation to buy off enough votes for today. Unions, created to protect the middle class are now in the process of destroying it from within our own government. Corruption has rotted the government to the core.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #18 - 05/20/13 at 18:52:12

"The world was an awful, dirty and miserable place until capitalism freed the masses to move upwards. WM"

Unfettered capitalism...Ah for the early days when robber barons ruled, when children worked the coal mines, when women worked 12 hours a day in sweatshops, when union busting thugs did their talking with guns and clubs.

In the early days of Capitalism If the Irish won't do it, or you run out of them, hire the Chinese, they work like hell for next to nothing. The Irish and the Chinese and the Blacks and every other poor chump in the world busted their backs and died to build what we now take for granted.

Flash forward.

Republicans. They'd like to see us return to those golden years of yore. If they could arrange it, the Minimum Wage would be 1 Dollar an Hour. Or less. The fact that there even is a minimum wage law is obscene.

The Mexican slave laborers, (guest workers), have undercut the minimum wage, and many people blame THEM, and not the lawmakers on the hill. They blame the poor, hard working least among us, then toss them out, and bring in the next batch, and we treat them as what they are, slaves.

Meanwhile, the honored and admired CEO's whom are paid so very, very well, who are living in mansions and riding in limos, refuse to raise the minimum wage for the serfs while regularly giving themselves midnight pay raises on the sly, or golden parachutes if their business goes under. At a time of austerity. With subsidies, tax breaks and other government perks, it's beyond absurd that billions of our tax dollars are pouring into executive pockets.

Corporations today have forgotten Henry Ford's brilliant insight. Henry Ford did "get" the way that capitalism can work:

Business owners have to find the "sweet spot" where you're paying your workers enough, and also making your product cheap enough, that your workers can buy one of them.

And the "outsource it" mentality isn't just about production, it's about loosing American jobs, cutting wages and benefits to the point where the average Joe can't afford to buy the products they make.

Defense contractors like Halliburton  ripping off government is as old as defense contractors. They steal as fast and as much as they can while they have a "war" to give them an excuse. They never know when they will be able to incite the next war. Eisenhower was dead on with his farewell address warning about the military industrial complex.

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 05/20/13 at 20:00:23

This from a guy who gobbles up everything those evil capitalist make....

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #20 - 05/20/13 at 21:42:45

credit is available to business (that was a fear in 2008)
New housing starts are up
housing values are not in decline
unemployment is increasing at slower rate
-Pine

Can't GIVE AWAY property on the Gulf Coast. Can't GIVE AWAY "McMansions" in TN. If you have ANY physical impairment there is no work (McSlime's and Hellmart here want white employees to have a four year degree, but a negro or wetback with no education is hired on the spot)...  Angry

Shelby County TN properties devalued an average of 10% across the board (commercial, industrial, residential, agricultural) in the last month. Taxes haven't gone down any though, in fact, with the forced city/county school merger they are going up to "make up for lost revenue"...  Angry

Y'all have what, Nissan, Siemens and ??? We've got Kellogs, Lockheed Martin (weapons division) and a down on it's luck Navy base that looks like it was last overhauled about 1962. Pretty much everything else (including most Fed Ex jobs), other than agriculture, is "No whites allowed"...

Better under Obama? Um, no.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #21 - 05/21/13 at 09:19:43

WD .. I love you.. seriously....

All valid. I am completely sure. I just don't think Romney would be any better ( different maybe). A lot of that crap has been a long time cooking. You would not believe how bad it is here (Jackson).

As for that gulf coast property.... hmmm.. we need to talk!!! gimmeee!!
Yeah... I recall back in 1996 or so.. Lushbaugh making fun of a radio spot for the Army..."qualified applicants need NOT apply". And they had strict race prohibition.. no whites (unless female). Race.. I am so sick racism ( both ways .. any ways).

He don't forget we got a Toyota plant now! http://www.toyota.com/about/our_business/engineering_and_manufacturing/tmmms/

and a few years ago we got ammo plant for .22s

http://www.stltoday.com/business/olin-calls-workers-bluff-ammo-plant-to-missi...

but yeah good jobs are few and far between down here.

PS: headed to Oxford MS this weekend to help my daughter move into a house(rental) sure wish I work a meet up... jest not seeing it once I wrestle beds and couches and such... why the heck don't she have a boyfriend to do this junk!! ( kidding)

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #22 - 05/21/13 at 09:29:50

My good for nothing stepson lives in Oxford and works at Ole Miss... shall I arrange a hook up? Kidding, wouldn't wish him on anybody.

We did get a Mitsubishi heavy electronics plant contract, but, it's stagnant. The educational level here leaves a lot to be desired, a master's from any local university is equivalent to an associates degree on the west coast or in New England....

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #23 - 05/21/13 at 10:03:11

Starlifter wrote on 05/19/13 at 21:29:56:
...so you are saying that your life was better under Bush??

I, and most Americans were better off under Bush and would take him back in a heartbeat after seeing what a stuttering clusterf&ck Obama has turned out to be. With all his many faults at least Bush has some leadership ability that Obama has zero of.

Bush went nuts with the entitlements, don"t know where that came from.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #24 - 05/21/13 at 10:12:12

Pine wrote on 05/21/13 at 09:19:43:
WD .. I love you.. seriously....

All valid. I am completely sure. I just don't think Romney would be any better ( different maybe).

Ronmey wouldn't have been much better except he would have preserved civil liberties and human rights. We need a very strong leader now who can take charge and do what's right regardless of the short term political consequences. Obama is all about Obama and his legacy will show what a worthless president most of us know him to be. We need a JFK or Reagan to save us from ourselves.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #25 - 05/21/13 at 12:11:51

"I, and most Americans were better off under Bush and would take him back in a heartbeat."

Oh pleeaze...You're enough of a laughing stock now, give it up.

"Ronmey would have preserved civil liberties and human rights."

Just exactly what civil liberties and human rights have you lost under Obama??

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #26 - 05/21/13 at 14:56:15

Starlifter wrote on 05/21/13 at 12:11:51:
"I, and most Americans were better off under Bush and would take him back in a heartbeat."

Oh pleeaze...You're enough of a laughing stock now, give it up.

"Ronmey would have preserved civil liberties and human rights."

Just exactly what civil liberties and human rights have you lost under Obama??

I'll take that one:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/12/with-reservations-obama-signs-ac...

In his last official act of business in 2011, President Barack Obama signed the National Defense Authorization Act from his vacation rental in Kailua, Hawaii. In a statement, the president said he did so with reservations about key provisions in the law — including a controversial component that would allow the military to indefinitely detain terror suspects, including American citizens arrested in the United States, without charge.

The legislation has drawn severe criticism from civil liberties groups, many Democrats, along with Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul, who called it “a slip into tyranny.” Recently two retired four-star Marine generals called on the president to veto the bill in a New York Times op-ed, deeming it “misguided and unnecessary.”

I think this pretty much bring George Owells 1984 to reality. If you disagree that allowing the US military to capture and detain indefinitely without charges, trail, or any other chance of reprive isn't a blow to civil liberties... then wow.  

Then there is this: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/comment/2012/05/the-presidents-kill-lis...

I kinda wonder if the president slips into bed and when the wife asks how his day was .. he says... "well I scratched 12 more people off the list".

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #27 - 05/21/13 at 15:13:08

"A controversial component that would allow the military to indefinitely detain terror suspects, including American citizens arrested in the United States, without charge."

Well if you are so concerned with the rights of terrorists lets give the GITMO prisoners speedy trials and release those found innocent.

I agree with you 100%. To keep them detained indeffently. and to torture them is morally repugnant and a crime against humanity.

As for the "kill" list, I agree with you on that also. Lets STOP the use of drones killing innocent people in Afghanistan or anywhere else.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #28 - 05/21/13 at 15:22:14

Star I'll never say my life was better under Bush. I think I had more cash flow under Bush but I would trade the extra cash and more to have kept all those body bags from coming home. Sometimes I just throw questions out like this one just to see how people really feel. I'm very grateful Obama hasn't led us into another war yet. Obama is a long ways from being perfect but it could be a lot worse.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 05/21/13 at 18:32:40

Obama hasn't led us into another war yet

No he hasn't. He's just kicked the can down the road so it's the next guy's problem. Bush had to deal with Clinton mess; I pity the guy left with Obama's pile of dung he's gonna leave him.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 08:31:26

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Is Your Life Any Better Since Obama Is President

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.