Bobber Build (Read 249 times)
Dalziel_A
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bobber Build
05/19/13 at 09:23:49

Hey guys,
Just wanted to throw this question out there to anyone who might have a little experience with a bobber project. I know that bluecollarbobbers.com have a great selection of bolt-on parts but is there anywhere else I should be looking? I want to get a smaller seat, smaller rear fender, and possibly something other than stock signals, headlight and tail light. Any input is greatly appreciated. Just for an FYI, I have an '01.
Thanks

IP Logged
wearsabrowncoat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

L.A. - lower Alabama
Re: Bobber Build
Reply #1 - 05/19/13 at 15:35:21

I bought the complete Blue Collar Bobber (BCB) kit.  I looked around for some time before ordering.  The only other company I found that offered a complete kit was RYCA and the fabrication needed for their kit went beyond my abilities. Here is my feedback of BCB:

Pros:
1. Friendly, knowledgably, and helpful customer support - I called numerous times and always came away satisfied
2. Great quality - Every part of the kit was flawlessly designed and finished
3.  Easy to follow video directions - DVD was easy to follow and except for the mirrors every detail of the build was documneted
4.  Results in an awesome custom look bike - After having a local auto body shop match the rear fender to the factory black finish ($150) my bike rolled out looking like a custom bobber.  I get lots of positive comments and no one suspects I put it together after work in my carport.

Cons:
1.  Until their recent ninja café bike this was BCB most expensive kit
2.  Some of the hardware is standard instead of metric - not a big deal except when I had to go back and forth with tools.  Also, I would have preferred all metric to make topping off my roadside repair kit tool list simpler.  
3.  Wish they offered more accessories - new foot pegs that match/compliment the bottle cap hand grips, custom contoured belt guard cover, drilled rotor for front brake, miniature battery relocation kit with carb jetkit and cone filter, rear foot peg bolt hole caps or mini bracket to mount fork style leather tool bag.
4.  Wish they offered rear fender pre-painted in some of the more popular factory colors - see #4 above.

97 Savage - Blue Collar Bobber'd, Raptor petcock, 6" FC on deck, VerSlavy waiting list.
  IP Logged
wearsabrowncoat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

L.A. - lower Alabama
Reply #2 - 05/19/13 at 15:42:26

That being said, The only thing I think they should honestly pursue would be a switch to complete metric parts and hope they slowly build their savage accessories.

If I had to build one again I would definitely go with their kit.  Although I might look at other options for cheaper turn signals, side view mirrors, and exhaust.  Tons of LED turn signals as well as bobber mirrors out there if you have the patience to fit them.  Also, you should be able to get a cheaper exhaust if you go for the Harley takeoff option.

97 Savage - Blue Collar Bobber'd, Raptor petcock, 6" FC on deck, VerSlavy waiting list.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 05/19/13 at 18:26:06

The savage can be bobbed without a kit.
Its frame stops before the rear edge of the rider seat.
Removing that rear fender and back seat and rails = instant bobber.

OK OK you want it to look better than that - OK trim the rear fender, fit a tail light, put the rectifier in the airbox and put a tombstone or limp duck tail light.

I have a bunch of pics of my chopper bobber build, except I have just 1 of the "bobbing" and the rest are the chopping part.

But that is the stock fender hacked to where I liked it.
Best of all - its free. You already have the parts you need. The starter solenoid bolts to the original location and is easier to remove and install. You can even run turn signals if you leave enough of a cheek in the rear fender.
It looks like it came from the factory that way. IMHO - very important when you're doing a big deal modification.
I slap a pipe on, I want people to see it. I put a sticker on, yeaaaaay cool sticker. I hack the back 1/2 off - people should just go - hey what model is that bike = Looks like a factory job.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 05/19/13 at 18:28:11

From the back -

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
hotrodbobber

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/20/13 at 13:06:22

HI there, i just searched ebay for parts, and made them fit, some fitted with out much fuss, others took a bit more work but you can save yourself a lot of money, if you dont mind the work, shame im in england id love to help

IMG_2869ED_small.jpg
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #6 - 05/20/13 at 16:25:27

hotrodbobber wrote on 05/20/13 at 13:06:22:
HI there, i just searched ebay for parts, and made them fit, some fitted with out much fuss, others took a bit more work but you can save yourself a lot of money, if you dont mind the work, shame im in england id love to help

Now that is one Smiley mean looking bike! I like that you kept the front fender.

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Dalziel_A
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/20/13 at 17:37:43

Thanks for the input guys. I love the look of this conversion. Still contemplating the bcb kit but I think I'll try my luck with a few eBay parts. I'm in no rush.

IP Logged
hotrodbobber

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/21/13 at 12:46:11

yup ebay is great for parts. here is a link to a short vid of my build up
http://youtu.be/dsse4WsEbDs

IP Logged
Dalziel_A
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/21/13 at 19:34:36

Ah yes.. I've watched this before. Well done, made a beautiful job of that bike. I like how you painted the wheels as well. And the new air box/battery box was great.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 19:53:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bobber Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.