Send Topic Print
it runs, but not good (Read 242 times)
LeadfootLambert
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

it runs, but not good
05/18/13 at 19:41:00

Some of you may have read my intro, I am fixing up a savage for a coworker, it's been in storage for 10 years so first thing I did was open up the carb and clean it, it was dry but the jets were plugged and the needle and seat were junk, I replaced the needle and seat, bought a Raptor petcock, new gas in tank, new battery. it will start and idle, but that's it if you try to give it any gas it backfires out the exhaust and stalls, also the mixture screw seems to have no effect on the way it runs except if you turn it all the way in it will stall, anything from 1/8 out to 3 turns out makes no diff. I noticed when cleaning the pilot jet there are no holes on its sides like the one shown in the picture on the download cd, is this normal? also the opening on the screwdriver slot end of the jet is much larger than the other end, again normal? everything else in the carb looks good, no tears in the plunger diaphragm, the small diaphragm on the side looks good also, float level is good, no fuel pouring out the bowl vents, I blew compressed air through all passages, all seem clear, any ideas? New spark plug also!

IP Logged
00savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Franklin, PA
Re: it runs, but not good
Reply #1 - 05/19/13 at 04:04:13

Hi leadfoot. Go to the market place section of the forum. Click on lancers performance parts. He sells a jet set kit. Try rejetting the carb and doing the white spacer mod. Lots of info in the tech section about it. Rejetted mine and did the white spacer mod last week. She's running better than ever. Runs smooth & no more backfires. Good luck & keep us posted on your progress.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 05/19/13 at 04:18:02

Are there any other mods done to the bike?  Did you check the spark plug?   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/19/13 at 06:42:24

The air bleed holes on the side of the Pilot Jet are not needed or used on the stock Savage carb.  If you do get that kind of jet....it will still work just like a pilot jet without air bleed holes....as there is no air supply to those jets in the stock carb.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #4 - 05/19/13 at 07:22:11

Is the bike stock? What sizes are the pilot and main jets?

Just looked at my small collection of jets. On some the screwdriver side is larger than the outlet and on one other it's the reverse. So I doubt that's the problem. L

If the plug looks good, what happens if you try to give it gas with the choke out one notch?

- David
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #5 - 05/19/13 at 08:33:54

Make sure the needle is in the slide right.  When I got mine, the needle was below the spring.  Did exactly the same thing.  When I took it apart and put the needle above the spring, it ran great.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 05/19/13 at 08:34:39

You have to assume it was running good when it was parked. Don't start to modify anything now and get into more problems than what you have now. If it appears to be stock jetting etc, and hasn't been hacked, get it running right first, then mod it later, and then only if needed, and only where needed.

Make sure the bowl is staying full to the gasket, or else it won't take much throttle, just as you're having trouble w/. If it is full, then you are back into the carb, for finding the problem.
If the bowl isn't full, then check for blockage upstream to the tank.

Smeone said you can check the fuel level w/ a clear hose connected to the nipple on the bottom of the bowl, and then open the drain plug.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 05/19/13 at 09:21:46

Yep,, first thing, see if its stock, if it is, it otta run good.
Mine wont let me give it gas when its cold, itll coff & die.
It takes me a few minutes of diddlin with it to get it ready to run.

Raise the idle up to just short of "Thats ridiculous"..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LeadfootLambert
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/19/13 at 15:12:27

Ok, I assume it ran well when put up 10 years ago, but I don't know for sure. It's is all stock. I did not remove the needle from the slide but I will check that. I will also check the float level again, I did replace the spark plug. The smaller end of the pilot jet is so small my wife's sewing needle wont fit thru. Only other question I can think of right now is will it run okay with the boot between the carb and air cleaner removed or does it need to be there? it's off right now for ease of removal of the carb again and again, will be reinstalled when done messing with it. Thanks for all the help!

IP Logged
LeadfootLambert
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/19/13 at 16:36:29

the plug shows lean,
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z95/axeman39/null_zpsa9445c43.jpg
I raised the float level till it just  seeps out with no gasket, it definitely runs better, Grin but not perfect yet, mixture screw still not doing anything,  if i put the palm of my hand 1/4 inch behind the carb it revs much better and doesn't backfire.

IP Logged
LeadfootLambert
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/19/13 at 17:09:42

Here's how it runs now, click picture for video

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #11 - 05/19/13 at 19:04:54

Sounds lean to me....rpms hanging on the overrun.

Sat for 10 years...did you dip the carb body?

Good luck!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
LeadfootLambert
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/20/13 at 15:28:59

Carb body is spotless, I agree it's lean, today I brought the carb to work and removed the white spacer and replaced it with one of exactly half the thickness, this should richen it up a bit, also looked at the jets with a magnifying glass it"s got a 47.5 pilot and a 152 main jet, I'm heading out to the garage to reinstall the carb in a bit, will report back.

IP Logged
LeadfootLambert
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/20/13 at 17:09:46

Here's the results, a decent running savage! Thanks for all the help!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VEV36nsxuo

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #14 - 05/21/13 at 04:23:38

"Sounds good to me.....ready to ride"    I second that LeadFoot!    Smiley

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 19:37:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › it runs, but not good

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.