Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fuel starvation issue and tiny leak (Read 64 times)
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Fuel starvation issue and tiny leak
05/17/13 at 19:25:37

Hey all, so Here's the issue. A while ago I had a tiny, slomo drop from a standstill. Ever since the bike has been running kinda rough, sputtering and stalling when riding in the lower rpm band. I asked about it and people suggested I clean the carb so I decided to give seafoam a shot and it ran fine for a couple of weeks after that. Then the same problems started happening again, so I enlisted to help of a friend who pointed out that since it runs fine on "res" but not "on", it would mean the petcock is the culprit.

So I picked up a raptor petcock and just finished installing it today, and it ran poorly still. I had a question about plugging the vacuum, I found a rubber plug that fits perfectly snug over the valve but I wasn't sure if it was adequate enough. Ill get a picture of it soon. Anyways, if the bike is sputtering and stalling even after replacing the petcock, wha should be my next step? Full carb cleaning and rejet?

My second question involves a small leak that is only apparent at the end of this bolt near the left footpeg. I felt around the bottom of the block and frame and really couldn't locate the origin of this leak. I also saw a tiny bit of oil on the front cooling fins, seemed to be coming from this nut on the front of the block, so I tightened, but I saw no direct link from that leak to the one on the bottom of the footpeg.

Any help would be appreciated!

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Fuel starvation issue and tiny leak
Reply #1 - 05/17/13 at 20:24:21

WRT the carb, you need to plug an open nipple on the intake manifold....did you do this already?

Also, does the bike seem to be running rich, or is it running lean?

WRT the footpeg oil leak....this is common.  Tighten the nut associated with that long through-bolt and you'll have a good chance of stopping the oil leak.

Good luck!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Reply #2 - 05/17/13 at 21:04:49

Yes I plugged the carb where it used to link to the old petcock with a rubber thingy. Ill try to get a pic up soon, but it's basically a rubber piece that covered a bolt's thread on a car part I bought online

And regarding the leak, I did stumble across this post (http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1253732708) so ill be tackling that ASAP. Thanks Digger!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 05/17/13 at 23:00:17

Left footpeg leak just means... tighten that bolt...
Not related to running problem...

Runs on "Reserve", not on "Run"... must be a coincidence... (the Raptor would have changed that)...
Ride some more,.. and observe...
... the other intermittent, stumble problem is usually a sticky carb slide...

Need more observation at this point...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Reply #4 - 05/18/13 at 02:57:05

Alright thanks guys! Ill get on that carb disassembly, cleaning, and fresh jets and hope that cures it! Where should I purchase the jets?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 16:48:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel starvation issue and tiny leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.