Send Topic Print
New old guy here (Read 182 times)
LeadfootLambert
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New old guy here
05/15/13 at 17:14:47

I found this forum while searching for Savage info, I am currently helping a friend [coworker] who is on an extremely low budget, He was given a 1986 Savage 650 by another co worker, I decided tom take on the repair parts and labor of the bike and another coworker offered to pay the registration of the bike once it's up and running, the owner of the company paid for his motorcycle safety course, so this is a company wide charity build kinda cool!
I will have several questions for you guys as I am not real familiar with Japanese bikes, although I had a few in my younger days.
I have ordered most parts needed to complete the bike. needle and seat, throttle cable, battery, gas tank mounting bracket and rubbers, Raptor petcock etc. Parts should start rolling in this Friday!

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: New old guy here
Reply #1 - 05/15/13 at 19:32:19

We're here!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #2 - 05/16/13 at 04:16:43

Hello LeadFootLambert, this is Maurizio from Rome, Italy.

I too was one of those "Who, me? Japanese bike?" and rode Guzzis and BMWs for the better part of the last 25 years before meeting the Savage.

Love at first sight. I own an '88, 4-speed.

Wonderful piece of machinery, it'll work its ass off for you provided you keep in mind she's a mule, not a yearling for the Kentucky Derby !

Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 05/16/13 at 04:21:40

Hey Lambert, welcome to the forums and may I say it's very cool what you and your co-workers are doing to help a friend out.  Check out the Technical Section to get a head start on what you need to do before the parts come in, here's the link to the Table of Contents-

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #4 - 05/16/13 at 14:37:50

Welcome Lambert!

Cool for the group effort. Show us some pics! The bike and group. Remember ebay is your friend (versus the dealership) most times.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/16/13 at 15:53:06

You might want to clue us in to what you find wrong with the bike so that we can give you our advice.

Such as (but not related to what you've said)...
bike leaks oil from the head: gonna replace the head gasket.

Our Advice: maybe the head plug, clean and isolate leak.  even if it leaks a little from the bottom bolts, retorque and locktite may cure it.

WWW   IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #6 - 05/17/13 at 17:21:29

mpescatori wrote on 05/16/13 at 04:16:43:
Hello LeadFootLambert, this is Maurizio from Rome, Italy.

I too was one of those "Who, me? Japanese bike?" and rode Guzzis and BMWs for the better part of the last 25 years before meeting the Savage.

Love at first sight. I own an '88, 4-speed.

Wonderful piece of machinery, it'll work its ass off for you provided you keep in mind she's a mule, not a yearling for the Kentucky Derby !

Wink

mpescatore I am curious since we have similar bikes, and mine is not yet on the road, what is your opinion of the 4 speed, do you feel it has enough or do you constantly feel that one more gear would really help?

NEVER argue with a woman holding a torque wrench or a spray gun!
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #7 - 05/17/13 at 18:32:26

I've got an 87 and have no complaints at all with the 4 speed.  I've ridden 5 speeds all my life and once you get used to not shifting to 5th, it's fine.  The gearing is plenty tall enough, doesn't sound like it's winding out or anything.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 05/18/13 at 04:37:31

shovelbum87 wrote on 05/17/13 at 17:21:29:
mpescatori wrote on 05/16/13 at 04:16:43:
Wink

mpescatore I am curious since we have similar bikes, and mine is not yet on the road, what is your opinion of the 4 speed, do you feel it has enough or do you constantly feel that one more gear would really help?

Even those of us with 5 speeds keep looking for one more gear! Grin
The ratio of the top gear on the 4 speed and 5 speed is very close, so cruising is about the same.  The ratio change on the 5 speed version has very little change on the 4th/5th gear shift.....we all wish that the 5th gear was much taller.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #9 - 05/18/13 at 08:32:24

Awesome Thanks Guys! I was worried about only having 4 gears. My previous 250 was a 5 speed and I was still looking for another gear!

NEVER argue with a woman holding a torque wrench or a spray gun!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 19:52:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New old guy here

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.