prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Bent foot peg
05/15/13 at 05:02:05

A friend recently bent the front foot peg, just wondering the best way to straighten it out.  Do they come apart?  We have it off the bike, but can't really see anything else to do.  Should I just use the biggest hammer possible?  Thanks!

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Re: Bent foot peg
Reply #1 - 05/15/13 at 05:05:29

I was able to straighten mine quite a bit but not perfect. If you smoosh the rubber together you will see how it comes apart. I put the metal in a vice and cranked down on it. It got pretty close. I chose a set of Harley take offs for $10 at my local custom shop though.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #2 - 05/15/13 at 05:38:54

Thanks Greg, that is sort of the answer I was looking for.  I have given it a couple of half hearted attempts to smoosh the rubber, but they were basically as I was sitting around thinking when I was supposed to be working.  The guy is not in too much of a hurry, the peg got bent but his leg got broke.  Undecided

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
onejug
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/15/13 at 05:39:19

I left mine on the bike and just used a bfh to straighten it out. Worked good enough. The previous owner bent it up. I didnt replace it because its jusr gonna get bent again im sure.  Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/15/13 at 10:07:45

I think the pegs are kinda like a box. 2 rails, kinda wimpy. Hard to straighten. Need 2 hammers. Put it on the bike, lay the heavy hammer against the peg on the part of the peg that doesnt need "moved" to be in its proper place, then, slowly start tapping the end in the direction it needs to go,the hammer nearest the bike should slowly come away from the bike. Dont try to fix it on one or 2 passes. Take your time,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #5 - 05/15/13 at 12:32:29

Yep, I got it pretty straight.  The peg is already off Justin, so it was fairly easy.  I have to constantly remind myself that several light smacks are better than one or two hard ones.  I sometimes break things.

prechermike   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 05/15/13 at 12:45:50

Thats the first thing learned doing body work. That & "backing up" your work,
One hammer against the piece, the other tapping away. Its like putting a cheater on it. THe backup is the fulcrum.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 01:27:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bent foot peg

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.