Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torque Values? (Read 68 times)
mscepu101

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Torque Values?
05/14/13 at 19:49:44

I am at the point of reassembling the cylinder head after installing a new oil plug and would like to know the torque values for the reinstallation of the bolts.

I know there is a torque value list but I must admit I do not know the name for the bolts .

I assume they are the cylinder head bolts but is the value only between 8-1 ft-lbs?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Torque Values?
Reply #1 - 05/15/13 at 04:56:47

The Table in the Tech Session says 5.9 to 8.8 foot pounds.  These are thin 6mm bolts and the aluminum head they are threaded into can't take a lot of extra torque.....so tighten them in a criss cross pattern and start snugging them up a little at a time  before you tighten them to the final torque.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 05/15/13 at 07:17:12

6mm head bolts,.....is that for real ?? Thats hardly a 1/4 inch !
There must be plenty of them,.....don't recall gaskets being a problem here.
6 mm ?? I mite have to look for myself. Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/15/13 at 07:28:22

Routy wrote on 05/15/13 at 07:17:12:
6mm head bolts,.....is that for real ?? Thats hardly a 1/4 inch !
There must be plenty of them,.....don't recall gaskets being a problem here.
6 mm ?? I mite have to look for myself. Shocked

The bolt thread is 6mm.....the hex head is 10mm.  The bolts in question are for the "head cover".

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 05/15/13 at 19:06:48

Dave wrote on 05/15/13 at 04:56:47:
.....so tighten them in a criss cross pattern...

A while back, I offered up this tightening pattern as a straw man.  So far, nobody's sh*t on it.....

When installing the cylinder head cover, the FSM says to tighten the cylinder head bolts "diagonally."  Clymers says the same thing, but adds to tighten the bolts in the middle of the cylinder head cover first.

With this vague guidance in mind, here is the bolt tightening order I've arrived at after removing and installing the cylinder head cover a few times (loosening order (e.g. when removing the cylinder head) will be the reverse of the tightening order):

My methodology was to start with the inner-most bolts and move diagonally as much as possible.  This is just the pattern I have been using.  Your way most likely will be better, please share if so.

I torque these bolts using a 0-200 in-lb beam torque wrench in three stages (snug, half-torque, full-torque).

Note that the bolt associated with position #12 in the above picture represents a special challenge.  This is because said bolt is also used to secure the port decorative chrome head cover.  However, with that cover in place, some of the other head cover bolts would be hard to access.

However, if you don't mind going through a little extra trouble, you can still torque the head cover in a complete fashion - to include bolt #12.

Here is what I used to take the place of the decorative head cover - a stack of washers:

I just place a bunch of washers on the bolt.  This allows me to torque the bolt down properly.

After the gasket sealant used on the head cover is cured, I remove the washers and install the left decorative chrome head cover, taking care to re-torque the subject bolt properly.

IHTH someone!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 01:15:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Torque Values?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.