Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Possible Broken Piston? (Read 163 times)
Nathan

warm pavement.

Canada
Possible Broken Piston?
05/14/13 at 18:55:51

So I plated my 86 Savage today and was changing the oil when I took off my cap to change my oil filter I wiped it clean only to find some shiny metal flakes on my rag. After changing the oil I fired it up and heard the a lot of slapping on the inside around the piston area. Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong? I'm guessing it's the piston (My bike has always backfired ALOT and I've heard it can wear your piston pretty bad) but I wanted to ask the pros and see if anyone had any other suggestions. Thanks for the help and I'll appreciate any ideas given.

86' ls650 Suzuki Savage.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Possible Broken Piston?
Reply #1 - 05/14/13 at 20:52:10

1986 model? First thing to check would be the timing chain. That's a lot of hours/miles for a poorly designed factory timing chain tensioner to last. Loose valves don't sound remotely like something slapping in the cylinder.

Piston slap could be an issue if your bike has extremely high miles on it. If you broke the piston, you'd know it, you'd have little to no compression.

Steel or aluminum flakes?

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/14/13 at 21:32:16

not too many issues with the piston alone.
I did get one with a burnt piston that knocked
If it continued to run... probably not the cam chain.
I had a balancer bearing go out, let the balancer hit the bottom of the cylinder.

with metal flakes showing, I wouldn't run it, you need a full tear down.

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 05/14/13 at 21:41:01

[quote author=0E3B20333325302D2C27490 link=1368582951/0#0 date=1368582951]So I plated my 86 Savage today and was changing the oil when I took off my cap to change my oil filter I wiped it clean only to find some shiny metal flakes on my rag.

Nathan, with any luck the metal on your rag came from your washing machine transmission going out. It's cheaper. Someone on here had some x rated photos of a galled piston. Don't remember who it was. Hope for the best.  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 05/15/13 at 04:41:42

We need a bit more information on the bike.  How many miles/kilometers on it.  How often is the oil changed?  What oil have you been using?  Does it burn any oil?  Has it ever been run low on oil?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 05/15/13 at 07:29:06

WD wrote on 05/14/13 at 20:52:10:
1986 model? First thing to check would be the timing chain. That's a lot of hours/miles for a poorly designed factory timing chain tensioner to last. Loose valves don't sound remotely like something slapping in the cylinder.

Piston slap could be an issue if your bike has extremely high miles on it. If you broke the piston, you'd know it, you'd have little to no compression.

Steel or aluminum flakes?

Seldom is any compression lost from a cracked piston,.....most times being cracked in the skirt area.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Nathan

warm pavement.

Canada
Reply #6 - 05/15/13 at 08:18:01

Hey Guys. It has 23,000 KM's on it. I've owned it for 3 years and it burns a little bit of oil and I usually change the oil once a riding season (In Saskatchewan that's about 5 months). I've only ever used Suzuki SAE 10w 40 oil. This past change I was running pretty low on oil so I'm thinking that might of been what caused the metal flakes. I'm not sure if they were aluminum or steel is there anyway of finding that out? I haven't run it since we seen that in the oil but when I first started it up (prior to changing the oil) it wasn't making the slapping sound. I then took it around the block to warm it up before changing the oil and that's when I noticed the flakes. After the change I fired it up and heard the sound of slapping quite loudly so I shut it off and grabbed my dad to come take a peak.

Compression wise I didn't take it for a rip after that sound but prior too it has always been VERY tight and pulls super well. Lots of low end torque and tops out at about 155. I'm not the most handy dude but I do have the Savage manual and am hoping I can fix it on my own as I don't really have the funds to take it to a shop.

Thanks everyone for the posts thus far.

86' ls650 Suzuki Savage.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/15/13 at 09:01:56

I think you need to pull the right side cover off, and inspect the chain tensioner......
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191167029

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 05/15/13 at 09:09:16

Nathan,... Run a magnet over the shrapnel,... to find out if they are steel or aluminum...

Steel is magnetic,... aluminum ain't... Wink...

...(this is a, smack forehead, shoulda' had a V8, moment)... Roll Eyes...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 05/15/13 at 10:09:21

Thats over 14,000miles. Look inside at the cam chain/tensioner stuff. Its time,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Nathan

warm pavement.

Canada
Reply #10 - 05/16/13 at 18:08:55

Looks like the shaving are aluminum which is good I'm thinking? I'll be pulling it apart in about 2 weeks when I've got some time to pit into it. With the low oil I'm hoping it was possibly just some friction inside that caused the metal pieces. Maybe a spinning bearing on the camshaft, or the chain, or possibly the rings on the piston? Either way it'll require a tear down so I'll let you guys know with some photos when I get into that.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions and help. I really appreciate it!

86' ls650 Suzuki Savage.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 05/16/13 at 21:59:00

Well,, if you got low enough to have low pressure, the cam spins in the aluminum head. YOu mighta smoked yer head,,,lets all hope not,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 16:48:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Possible Broken Piston?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.