Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Positive Connector Shorted (Read 395 times)
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Re: Positive Connector Shorted
Reply #15 - 05/15/13 at 07:22:39

Yea, every time I was trying to rev it would completely cut out, guess I was not just losing the engine but also all electrical.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #16 - 05/15/13 at 11:40:25

apache snow-FSO wrote on 05/15/13 at 06:14:28:
yeah I've been fooling with, working on, changing out batteries for over 50 years and have never been shocked by one. Even the 24 volt systems that the Army uses. Huh

Can't say the same for spark plugs though. Shocked

I can tell you first hand that 6 batteries wired in series parallel for 24 volts is enough to weld a 1/2" drive ratchet permanently into a breaker bar. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #17 - 05/15/13 at 13:54:39

used to wire up six batteries in M48A3 tanks all the time back in the day, still wouldn't give a shock. Huh

A 12 volt will weld a wrench. Shocked

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #18 - 05/15/13 at 15:03:36

apache snow-FSO wrote on 05/15/13 at 13:54:39:
used to wire up six batteries in M48A3 tanks all the time back in the day, still wouldn't give a shock. Huh

A 12 volt will weld a wrench. Shocked

No, 24 volt from 6 batteries in the M1A1.  It's actually the amps that do the welding.  They still had some of the old M48 based bridge launchers around when I was in....talk about a pain getting the batteries in and out!

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #19 - 05/15/13 at 16:04:03

Ok, removed the battery, positive pole is melted some Smiley Wire is messed up a bit, shield is cracked, old and the negative is pretty bad too. Ordered both used from ebay, 5 bucks each. Will be down for a few days. No wire or anything else seems burnt visually. Battery still had plenty of juice on voltmeter. Should be alright once I put it back together.

I think culprit is battery so darn heavy, (the dry AGM one), that it moves side to side, vibrates, etc... eventually put some stress on the connectors. I hate that battery box. Perhaps I need to look into a lithium solution, they seems super light. Then I can remove the battery box, wrap the battery somewhere on the frame and forget about it.

IP Logged
EeeSkwa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 05/20/13 at 14:50:48

I had a this same problem with my 87 savage which will not start now.  Pretty sure that I had a short cause there was smoke shooting out from the end of the bolt connected to the starting motor wire where it connects to the solenoid.  It melted that area pretty badly.  I fixed the short (replaced the fuses, made sure the battery itself was not grounding out against the frame and checked all the wires for frayed/damaged edges) and the ignition fires fine now, but the engine doesn't turn.  Do you think I damaged/need to replace the solenoid or should check for a better spark?

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #21 - 05/20/13 at 16:00:33

Jump the positive straight to the starter power input on the motor.  If the engine spins then, you probably got a bad solenoid.  If the starter doesn't spin, you got a bad starter.  This is, of course, assuming that the neg is connected well to the frame where it should be.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #22 - 05/22/13 at 06:43:06

Ok, got my wires, put it back together and voila, it starts again, no other damage incurred. Need some fresh gas and I'll be back on the road in no time, once they stop announcing storms in NY that is.

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #23 - 05/28/13 at 05:02:00

I'm back on the road but, how do you guys prevent the battery from moving from side to side inside the battery box? A block of wood? I think that's what put some stress on the battery cables and snapped one off eventually. darn I hate this battery box, gonna have to shell $200 and go with EarthX.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 05/28/13 at 05:13:25

Arnold wrote on 05/28/13 at 05:02:00:
I'm back on the road but, how do you guys prevent the battery from moving from side to side inside the battery box? A block of wood? I think that's what put some stress on the battery cables and snapped one off eventually. darn I hate this battery box, gonna have to shell $200 and go with EarthX.

If you have the stock battery.....why is it moving side to side?  On my stock bike, stock battery, stock battery box.....the batttery was a snug fit and it was held securely and had no room to move around.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #25 - 05/28/13 at 05:45:42

Well there you have it, I dont have the stock battery, got an AGM one. Slighty different shape but still heavy as hell, I noticed it moves a little bit from side to side.

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #26 - 05/28/13 at 05:57:21

The correct AMG battery is a 14AHL-BS. Same size, terminals in the correct position and correct amp hour. Smiley

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #27 - 05/28/13 at 06:14:10

apache snow-FSO wrote on 05/28/13 at 05:57:21:
The correct AMG battery is a 14AHL-BS. Same size, terminals in the correct position and correct amp hour. Smiley

And the 14AHL-BS AGM was a tight fit in the battery box on mine. No worries about any movement.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #28 - 05/28/13 at 06:20:34

Well next move is EXT18B.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #29 - 05/28/13 at 07:27:57

Arnold wrote on 05/15/13 at 06:27:08:
Man, I remember as a kid on a dirt bike, throttle cable broke in the sleeve, stuck at full throttle. So here I am stuck on a dirt bike going full speed with no way to turn it off, no battery, no key, no kill switch. Had to pull the spark plug wire, man what a shock you get from there...

When I met my wife she had a Suzuki 50 step through, a 2-cycle single. Her younger brother was racing go-karts on fuel (methanol+ klotz + nitro). One day he borrowed the bike, which had no gas in it so he put fuel in it, and went to the store for something. He did not tell my wife he had done this and she picked me up after work on a real hot day.
She mentioned it was not running right and that she had to keep it reved up or it would stall. Figuring that she was burning out the centrifugal clutch by doing that, I took over the driving, intending to put it out of gear and keeping the revs up. I stopped at a light, put it in neutral, gave it a little gas, and it went up to max RPM, just screaming.
I turned the key off and it kept screaming away. I pulled the plug wire and got a hell of a jolt and burning my fingers, and it kept screaming, starting to make self destructive noises. It then occurred to me that it was deaseling, and I pushed it, still screaming, into a gas station. I asked for a plug wrench, but the stupid mechanic would not lend out his tools. The bike is still screaming away, and has gathered a small crowd of mechanics and passers buy.("Man, I haven't smelled that since I went to the drags!") The mechanic finally pulls the plug and the bike stops.
He puts the plug back in (cross threaded) and I push it the 5 blocks to her place.
Her dad fixed it. (major bore out, new piston, push rod, rings, head, and clutch)
We drove it for 2 years after that.
She got her (unintentional) revenge though. She borrowed his 175 dirt bike, (2 stroke) which had a separate oil tank, for a weekend. She put gas in it but forgot all about the oil. Bore, piston and rings. Roll Eyes

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:26:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Positive Connector Shorted

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.