Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Holy heck!!!! honest store!! (Read 160 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Holy heck!!!! honest store!!
05/14/13 at 07:34:32

I went to a local motorcycle shop... they are very limited in what they do/sell. They install chains and tires ( that they sell) and they sell stuff like helmets and generic bolt-ons.

http://thekickstand.com/

Anyway, I went by to order up a new set of tires. And after spending about 40 minutes with me and with 5 minutes to close. He convinced me I had at least another 400 miles on these tires and to just wait.

"its a light bike, your a light rider.. if your not hopping the interstate for a one hour ride .. you should be fine for abit longer"

really??? honest salepeople???

He also said that if I bumped up the rear tire to 90 series he could get it cheaper .. just cause its a more common size. What sez everyone?? can I bump up to a 90 series without issue on our savage?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Holy heck!!!! honest store!!
Reply #1 - 05/14/13 at 07:42:20

Quote:
He also said that if I bumped up the rear tire to 90 series he could get it cheaper .. just cause its a more common size. What sez everyone?? can I bump up to a 90 series without issue on our savage?

I have a 140/90 Shinko712 on mine - was on the bike when I bought it.
Fits fine. No issues at all. 140/80s do seem to be harder to find.

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/14/13 at 07:48:01

Pine wrote on 05/14/13 at 07:34:32:
can I bump up to a 90 series without issue on our savage?

yes. been done many times including by me. just watch the clearance of any saddlebag support mounting bolts. You might need to change to a button head bolt.]

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/14/13 at 11:57:58

Im runnin a 90 series. I also run on the tightest rear shock setting. No conflict w/ bolts for me, 150 ish pounds

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #4 - 05/14/13 at 13:04:42

Apparently the 90 series will make your speedo more accurate. I've used them since I replaced the original IRC

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #5 - 05/14/13 at 13:06:58

I have a 140/90-15 D404 in the back.  And my only issue is the fact while it corrected my speedometer error I now have an slight odometer error (about 1/2 of a tenth per mile short).

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 05/14/13 at 22:04:54

You live in Mississippi. Why are you surprised? Try Main St Cycle in Tishomingo. Not cheap, but honest and picky with his work. And the 90 aspect ratio will make your speedo more accurate.  

Rider magazine has an article about the Natchez Trace. Full spread with pictures. I'm about 20 miles from the Tn River bridge.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #7 - 05/15/13 at 01:54:18

oldNslow wrote on 05/14/13 at 07:42:20:
Quote:

I have a 140/90 Shinko712 on mine - was on the bike when I bought it.
Fits fine. No issues at all. 140/80s do seem to be harder to find.

Ditto that. I run a Pirelli 140/90x15 and it's great, fits perfectly and does not have issues with existing bolts.

Take care, however, that it will make your final gearing about 4% longer, at least that's what "tirecalc" says.
"Tirecalc" is a teensy weensy app I downloaded, it is based on a very small portion of an Excel spreadsheet, and calculates tire sizes for cross-referencing.

It is programmed for car tires, but I assume that comparing two sizes of bike tires will still produce reliable results.

Downloaded from "Roverworld", and originally intended for 4x4 users who need to compare metric, US and UK tire sizes.
(Example: 235/75x15 = 7.00x15 = 29"x15)

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #8 - 05/15/13 at 09:55:19

And for those of us who don't have smart phones, there's a online version at http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=140-80r15-140-90r15 that does it as well.  There are others but the Tacoma world one allows for free-form entries and most of the others are strictly for cars and, as such, are missing motorcycles sizes.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 05/15/13 at 20:22:25

Hay

I'm running a 150/90-15 and 12.5" shocks, with no problem --- except --- since its futher to the ground now I almost never drag anything in the corners anymore !  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #10 - 05/16/13 at 09:19:27

MMRanch wrote on 05/15/13 at 20:22:25:
Hay

I'm running a 150/90-15 and 12.5" shocks, with no problem --- except --- since its futher to the ground now I almost never drag anything in the corners anymore !  Wink

I had to clearance the front of the swing arm slightly and use button head bolts on the fenders to get a 150/90 to fit with the stock shocks.  Each bike is a little different, as is the size of the tire from manufacturer to manufacturer.  The worst part is that the speedo is now off 5mph in the opposite direction. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:33:27

General CategoryThe Cafe › Holy heck!!!! honest store!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.