Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Thinking of getting a dog... (Read 233 times)
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Thinking of getting a dog...
05/13/13 at 13:52:40

So I'm thinking of getting a dog. My kids are old enough not to eat it and I finally live in a place that has a yard big enough for something larger than a purse-rat.
I've been looking at the Scott variant of the American Bulldog. Does anyone have any advice on where I could find a reliable breeder? Please keep in mind that I am in the Pacific Northwest. I'm willing to go a distance to get a dog, but I'd rather not have to fly one in from Florida and definately not overseas.

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Re: Thinking of getting a dog...
Reply #1 - 05/13/13 at 14:14:29

No idea about where to get a dog. My only suggestion would be to check with your homeowners or renters insurance to make sure you are covered with the breed you choose. It is silly, but many people still blame the breed instead of the owner and training for attacks.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #2 - 05/13/13 at 14:21:04

I have Boston Terriers, which are mixes of French and English Bulldogs, and they are great dogs. I did a lot of research on the breed before I got them and they statistically have few medical issues and can get all their exercise indoors. They live long lives, have a low bark profile, are smart and have a wide variety of personalities. I'm grew up in an area an hour north of Seattle and it rained a lot so having dogs that could be inside for long periods of time was crucial.

Hope this helps. Smiley

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #3 - 05/13/13 at 15:02:08

I'm 4 hours north of Seattle so the weather is much the same. For a Boston Terrier, the only one that I've spent much time around he had some of the worst gas I've ever smelled. Is that the same with yours?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/13/13 at 15:26:52

Gas is diet related.

WWW   IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #5 - 05/13/13 at 15:28:58

greenmonster wrote on 05/13/13 at 15:02:08:
I'm 4 hours north of Seattle so the weather is much the same. For a Boston Terrier, the only one that I've spent much time around he had some of the worst gas I've ever smelled. Is that the same with yours?

Yes, V is right, it is the result of a poor quality diet or that particular dog had an allergy.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 05/13/13 at 16:07:33

get a rescue from your local shelter..
humans aren't pure bred why should our pets be

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #7 - 05/13/13 at 16:21:32

I always thought that gas was diet related until I was around some Boxers, every single one of them had nasty smelling gas, no matter what food they were given.

I'd get a rescue dog if I didn't have kids. The shelters up here want to charge only slightly less than a breeder and have no history on the animal that I'd be bringing into my home. When I have picked out cats in the past (and will again in the future) I go to shelters. I'm not willing to risk behaviour issues on a potentially abused dog around my kids. A cat can claw them for no reason and leave a few scratches. A dog can kill them.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #8 - 05/13/13 at 18:28:29

I agree with green monster - the rescue business has become almost as expensive per dog as a purebred.  I'd rather not get someone's beaten or starved dog with heaven only knows what other conditions especially if I have children.  I was just reading about Scott American Bulldogs..they seem to be good family dogs.
p.s. my vet, Dr. Bird (really) was scratched by a cat and almost died of cat scratch fever. Shocked

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 05/13/13 at 20:15:51

most purebred scottish bulldogs are known to have respritory problems or sinus problems. If I were you, for the sake of your children, get a dog that is known to not have many health problems, a beagle...they are roughly the same stature and more agile and more interactive physically. A beagle will live longer and interact more actively with your children, a more memorable pet.
I'm not knockin' the bulldog mind you, just it is a much better pet for adults, not kids, the beagle would be better for children, they are less dependant and much more active than the bulldog.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 05/13/13 at 20:16:00

Hi Green Monster,
This is Teri, Thumper Clones wife. I train dogs for a living and he thought I might be of some help in your quest.

To make sure you get it right I'd recommend getting a trainer first then get a dog. I know, crazy huh? But a trainer in your area will know breeders in your area and can also advise you on what to look out for when selecting a puppy. A trainer can even go with you to choose a puppy. A trainer can be at the house when you get home to set you up for success from the moment 4 paws  hit the floor. This will be especially helpful for housetraining, chew toy training etc. teaching the kids what to do or not to do etc.

Try not to fly a puppy in, drive to go get the dog if you can. See where the puppy is raised and meet the mom and dad. Huge! Don't be on the receiving end of a puppy mill I hear that you are worried about genetics/history but I can guarantee that training is going to be more than half your battle. Even the best pedigree dog will be a nightmare to raise if you don't have a professional on the team! Get a trainer first, then get the puppy. A great place to find a trainer is http://www.adpt.com . If you want more info contact me from my website at http//:www.angelsinthemaking.com . Best of Luck and thanks for thinking it through before you dive in!
Mrs. Thumperclone

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #11 - 05/14/13 at 04:51:34

thumperclone wrote on 05/13/13 at 16:07:33:
get a rescue from your local shelter..
humans aren't pure bred why should our pets be
Animals are individuals, not identical machines.  Look at the 3-10 months-of-age dogs in the pound.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 05/14/13 at 12:00:40

If "Inside for long periods" is part of the job description, Jack Russell isnt the dog,Thats a given,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
TobyJug
YaBB Newbies

Kamloops, BC, Canada
Reply #13 - 05/14/13 at 19:16:35

On the subject of shelter costs - I while ago I got 2 kittens for free (I don't believe in paying for animals).  By the time I'd paid for their first shots at the cheapest place in town (the SPCA) I'd paid almost as much as if I'd got them from the SPCA in the first place.  So they don't make any money.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 05/14/13 at 21:20:46

Shots? Kittens need shots?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:28:44

General CategoryThe Cafe › Thinking of getting a dog...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.