Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Reserve Fuel (Read 620 times)
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Re: Reserve Fuel
Reply #15 - 05/13/13 at 14:34:19

Quick reaction is the name of the game...Same thing happened to me going up a hill one time, basically 2 pops and it quit.  I barely had my hand by the petcock by the time the engine quit, in gear mind you.  Then I had to maneuver to the side of the road, one handed, with the rear wheel locked.  Grin  Great way to start the day!

I hardly ever have to switch to reserve, but when I have, it's usually with more warning.  Going uphill gives you like no reaction time.  Undecided

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #16 - 05/13/13 at 21:37:04

OK, for those mechanically challenged (like myself), it would be strongly recommended to get the Raptor Petcock to replace the stock one...however, it's a manual Petcock that you have to turn on before riding and off when you're done, right?  

I've read where it makes it easier to remove the gas tank too.  How is it easier once you install the Raptor petcock?  

This is the Raptor petcock I should get, yes?
http://www.ronayers.com/ProductDetails/N/687/SKU/808680

Finally, here's videos that show you how to replace the stock petcock wit the Raptor one:

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsgQeLjYFNA
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUWI0ID-3so
Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuFJKF-AHVM

IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #17 - 05/14/13 at 05:41:03

The Raptor petcock is manual, so you have to turn it on and off.  It is more compact than the stock unit, so if you have a clearance issue removing the tank, it should be resolved with the Raptor.  I didn't watch the videos, but it's a fairly simple and straightforward swap...2 bolts.  You probably couldn't do it wrong, but if you did, post pics.  Grin

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 05/14/13 at 05:56:01

Beagle wrote on 05/13/13 at 21:37:04:
I've read where it makes it easier to remove the gas tank too.  How is it easier once you install the Raptor petcock?  

The stock petcock has a vacuum diaphragm on the back that take up enough room that it hits the frame when you try to take the tank off.  You have to drain the tank and remove the vacuum petcock before you take the tank off.  The Raptor takes up less room and you can leave the fuel in the tank and the Raptor attached when you remove the tank.

Yes....the link you had for the Raptor is the correct one.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #19 - 05/14/13 at 11:01:47

OK, I went ahead and ordered the Raptor.  We'll see if I can somehow screw it up!  If I do, I'll make sure to take some photos for all of you.   Shocked

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 05/14/13 at 11:59:22

Beagle wrote on 05/14/13 at 11:01:47:
OK, I went ahead and ordered the Raptor.  We'll see if I can somehow screw it up!  If I do, I'll make sure to take some photos for all of you.   Shocked

If you screw it up.....post the photos in the Cafe Section.  That is where we post the humor stuff! Grin

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #21 - 05/14/13 at 12:06:50

You'll have to really work hard at screwing that up. Wink

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #22 - 05/14/13 at 12:22:41

I didn't inherit my Dad's mechanical aptitude although I do sound like him whenever I'm doing something mechanical.  My wife hears a lot of swearing coming from the garage!   Grin

It actually looks really simple.  I watched the videos...2-screws, 2-hoses....should be OK.  

What is everyone using to stop up the vacuum line after the Raptor is installed?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 05/14/13 at 12:26:33

Thers a hundred ways. I took about a 2" piece of dowel rod & put a dab of silicone on it to make it slide in. Silicone & vacuum arent recommended, but I dont think this is ever gonna suck out,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 05/14/13 at 13:03:51

I just went by the Auto store and got a pack of vacuum plugs...they come with several in a pack.  I put one on the carb nipple, and another one in the toolkit as a spare.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #25 - 05/14/13 at 21:24:10

As for keeping up with mileage, I just remember the last three digits when I fill up. I have not ridden as much lately, so I sometimes forget. I generally check my gas and oil before I leave on a ride. I rode last Wednesday (Five days ago) and filled up at 115 miles. I see it as 1:15 on the clock. Sometimes if it's within a few miles of 25, 50 75 or 100 I just round up to those. Works for me. With the Raptor you get a little further on a tank and a little less on reserve. Of course, here in the South we have a station literally every 15 miles at the most. I know this is not the case for some of you guys. Plus there is always the lawnmower gas on the carport of 50% of us down here. I would ask first and offer to pay for a splash and run, of course.   Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #26 - 05/15/13 at 06:26:39

Dave wrote on 05/14/13 at 05:56:01:

The stock petcock has a vacuum diaphragm on the back that take up enough room that it hits the frame when you try to take the tank off.  You have to drain the tank and remove the vacuum petcock before you take the tank off.  The Raptor takes up less room and you can leave the fuel in the tank and the Raptor attached when you remove the tank.

Yes....the link you had for the Raptor is the correct one.

At lease on a 2007, you can take the tank off without removing the regular petcock, though you have to lift, pull back, and wiggle the tank to the left before it will clear the frame. Much easier to do with the Raptor installed, though. And now off is off and on is on, which my ancient brain finds more logical. I used a rubber nipple from Autozone to block the carb port. I think it was 7/16th. Fit perfectly.

- David
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 05/15/13 at 06:36:40

DavidOfMA wrote on 05/15/13 at 06:26:39:
Dave wrote on 05/14/13 at 05:56:01:

At lease on a 2007, you can take the tank off without removing the regular petcock, though you have to lift, pull back, and wiggle the tank to the left before it will clear the frame. Much easier to do with the Raptor installed, though. And now off is off and on is on, which my ancient brain finds more logical. I used a rubber nipple from Autozone to block the carb port. I think it was 7/16th. Fit perfectly.

On some bikes you can wiggle the tank a bit and make it clear - on others you can't.  It is not a year issue - it is more an issue of manufacturing variances....some bikes just have more room to clear the frame than others.  On my 2007 the rear of the vacuum petcock hit the frame rail.....it could not be wiggled off and the petcock had to be removed if you wanted the tank off.  There have been previous posts from owners that have had several bikes.....and they commented that on some the tank could be taken off with the petcock still on....and some they could not.

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #28 - 05/15/13 at 06:42:25

Right. The tank will not come off  my 2011 without removing the petcock. Cool

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #29 - 05/15/13 at 07:03:12

With the petcock I got I had to raise the tank a little to get the fuel hose to clear the choke after I had it installed.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 02:37:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Reserve Fuel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.