Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Check/adjust steering tightness? (Read 126 times)
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Check/adjust steering tightness?
05/12/13 at 19:47:15

Am in the middle if a trip on which I've bad an opportunity to try several different bikes, and all of them seem more stable than the S40 when I'm leaned over on a curve and encounter some uneven roadway. The front wheel seems squirrelly on my bike and I'm wondering if the steering bearings could be an issue. How can they be checked and adjusted? If possible, I'd like to do this before I head back.

2007, stock, 10100 miles.

Thanks!

- David
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Check/adjust steering tightness?
Reply #1 - 05/12/13 at 21:52:40

On smooth cement, in neutral, roll it forward slowly & apply front brake.
If there is slack in the bearings you should feel it.

Lock down on the brake & try to rock it. Feel a thump?

Be careful here, but turn the wheel lock to lock & do the same.

Im sure someone here has more experience here. Ive never tried or thot I mite need to try, adjusting it,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/12/13 at 23:01:32

You're riding a bike that's 150 to 300lbs lighter...
Put a fat girl on the back...  Huh...  ... or, guy... Huh...

You're asking a kayak to be a Carnival cruise ship... Grin...

Why don't my Mazda Miata feel like buddies Lincoln Navigator?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #3 - 05/13/13 at 05:30:40

Serowbot wrote on 05/12/13 at 23:01:32:
You're riding a bike that's 150 to 300lbs lighter...
Put a fat girl on the back...  Huh...  ... or, guy... Huh...

You're asking a kayak to be a Carnival cruise ship... Grin...

Why don't my Mazda Miata feel like buddies Lincoln Navigator?...

No, I'm asking how to check and, if necessary, adjust the steering bearings or anything else that might affect steering so I have a bike that rides as safely and as well as it can. I don't expect it to ride like the other bikes I'm trying out.

- David
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 05/13/13 at 06:05:26

If the steering bearings get loose you will know it. There will be a front end wobble when decelerating going in a straight line.

To check the Triple Tree bearings  lift the front wheel off the ground. With the front wheel pointing straight forward, grasp the lower fork legs with your hands and try to move the forks forwards and backwards. If there is any play or if the if the forks do not turn from stop to stop smoothly, adjustment or repair is indicated.

I doubt yours are loose.  HuhThe last time I had loose steering bearings I got in a high speed wobble slowing down from 70 MPH. That was on a Harley. Azz was making button holes in the seat. I had to accelerate to come out of it. Shocked

http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/downloads/Steering%20Shakes%20What%20the%20man...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi_fmONC9Jg

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/13/13 at 06:41:17

If the steering head is loose, there will be play.  As others have posted, the looseness will be most evident when the front is loaded different than it is when static or staitonary.  When sitting still the weight of the bike will be pulling down on the bearings.  As JOG said, lock the front brake and try to push the bike forward with the brake locked.  If you feel the angle of the handlebars change or see the forks rock and feel a "clunk" ....it indicates a loose steering head.  You can also do this test by rolling forward very slowly and applying the front brake hard, or by using first gear if you are graceful enough to use the throttle, clutch and front brake at the same time.  If you have access to a jack and can put it under the bike and lift the weight off the forks - that is another way to test for movement.  There should not be any movement or rocking of the front forms if you pull forward and back on the front wheel when it is suspended off the ground.

The Savage can be a bit "squirely" in turns.  I have noticed that mid turn corrections are sometimes wiggly.........    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #6 - 05/13/13 at 07:08:44

Thanks for these tips. I'll check before I head out on another 300 mile stretch tomorrow. At some point I'll rig up a center stand so I can check this and other wheel-related stuff more easily. I recall a post somewhere that showed one built from 2x4s and a pipe that looked simple and efficient.

The main symptom is some wiggling on turns, as if I'd hit an oil patch. Can't recall whether it happened in mid-turn corrections but will try that, too, to see if what I'm feeling is just normal Savage wigglies.

If I do need to adjust the steering bearings now or later, does anyone here know the procedure? Neither Clymers or the Suzuki manual seem to have a step-by-step procedure (except with the front end disassembled) and I didn't notice one in the technical docs section here.

- David
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 05/13/13 at 07:10:52

Just to be sure...check the air pressure in your tires. Low pressure can cause some problems. Wink

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #8 - 05/13/13 at 07:30:30

Thanks. First thing I checked was the tire pressure. It's normal.

- David
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 01:25:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Check/adjust steering tightness?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.