Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
why does this have to be so difficult?¿? (Read 545 times)
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Re: why does this have to be so difficult?¿?
Reply #15 - 05/13/13 at 15:08:33

Dimple goes down, don't strip the screws, got it. Thnx everyone. Now I'm starting to get excited.
Hey Apache Snow, i went down to my local bike shop today and got a few different main jets and had to order the smaller pilot. I'm really interested to see how my bike will run with your settings because we're close in year and elevation so i may leave the pilot in and swap the main... though that does totally seem weird. I don't see how leaving the 55bh in and swapping the main is going to let me back out on the mixture screw. whatever let's give it a try.
 oh and one more question,,, what is all of that nonsense underneath my tank? there's all kind of weird connectors and black circular looking electrical dodads underneath there. what can I rip out and what could I relocate do you think? I have a schematic but its kind of a crappy one.

'03 LS 650 bobber - Highly modified...crashed it.
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #16 - 05/13/13 at 15:23:21

Right now I'm running a 52.5 Pilot with the screw turned out 2 &7/8 turns.  I have ran a 55 pilot with the screw turned out 1 &1/2 to 1 &3/4. It ran pretty good but would spit back a little through the muffler when revved from idle. It does not do that with the 52.5 pilot. And I don't get much popping through the muffler. Just a little one every now and again.

Heck as easy as they are to change just experiment. I've changed mine back and forth several times. I have my needle raised .030. I made my own spacer from a #4 nylon bushing.

I need every thing under my tank. That box on top of the carb controls the decompression release.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #17 - 05/14/13 at 14:20:47

Boogieman wrote on 05/12/13 at 08:53:33:
I DO NOT WISH TO KNOW ANY OTHER INFORMATION. I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT DIFFERENT CARBS IN DIFFERENT YEARS OF BIKES AND THIS AND THAT AND BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH....

Now that some of the dust has settled, I am curious how your vacuum line is plugged, I see the hex head in there but are you sure no air is getting by the threads? Did you use a sealant to seal the bolt threads airtight?

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #18 - 05/14/13 at 15:38:15

haha i never did get a straight answer. anyway no I wasn't sure so I went outside jst now and backed out the hex a bit, put some motorcycle gasket sealer on in and threaded it back in. it was actually my brother that made that modification I got the bike from him.
 So Dane u live in riverside ca? i live downtown about two or three blocks away from the community hospital. We should meet up and talk bike. its hard for me to get information thru messages, that's why it would be rad to have someone here in person to point and ask.

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #19 - 05/14/13 at 16:48:30

Boogieman wrote on 05/14/13 at 15:38:15:
haha i never did get a straight answer. anyway no I wasn't sure so I went outside jst now and backed out the hex a bit, put some motorcycle gasket sealer on in and threaded it back in. it was actually my brother that made that modification I got the bike from him.
 So Dane u live in riverside ca? i live downtown about two or three blocks away from the community hospital. We should meet up and talk bike. its hard for me to get information thru messages, that's why it would be rad to have someone here in person to point and ask.

Definitely, will PM, but I am not the mechanic expert, just got my bike in March. Smiley

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #20 - 05/14/13 at 19:52:34

apache snow-FSO wrote on 05/13/13 at 11:15:41:
Accoring to the factory manual the dimple goes down on the spacer.

Hmm... just did this the other day and may have had the bump facing up on the plate, rather than down. What effect would doing it backward have on the functioning of the needle? Seems to run well in the mid-throttle range now, with three washers instead of the spacer, with the dimple however I left it, but at some point I'll be pulling the tank to do something, I'm sure, at which point I can check to see which way it's facing and change it if it makes a difference.

- David
  IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #21 - 05/14/13 at 20:20:49

yeah I'm also interested to know what the difference would be. and I think I might have installed mine dimple up also. actually what I'm trippin on is when I install that plate with the needle and spacers and all that, I actuate the needle up and down (i guess just to get acquainted with its movement) and noticed last time the needle head or clip or washers or whatever wud kinda get stuck. but I'm thinking that when its installed it doesn't move back and forth to have the chance to get stuck.

yeah well there we go I guess I just answered my own question haha

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #22 - 05/15/13 at 06:36:06

It must be a reason if the factory manual went to the trouble of pointing it out. May be the two open holes don't line up right. You need these to get the correct vacuum under the diaphragm for the slide to work properly.

http://imgur.com/a/knj1F

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #23 - 05/15/13 at 07:03:53

oh wow! i wish i had seen these pics two months ago. you know what I now remember that when I installed that plate, the little notches in it lined up with the two other screw holes. thats probably leaning out my mixture a bit. darn,, looks like I'm working on my carburetor today haha

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #24 - 05/15/13 at 09:04:18

apache snow-FSO wrote on 05/15/13 at 06:36:06:
It must be a reason if the factory manual went to the trouble of pointing it out. May be the two open holes don't line up right. You need these to get the correct vacuum under the diaphragm for the slide to work properly.

Wait, the vacuum line is blocked off, is that the vacuum you are talking about...what petcock is on the tank? I'm still lost  Grin Grin

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #25 - 05/15/13 at 09:10:23

Dane Allen wrote on 05/15/13 at 09:04:18:

Wait, the vacuum line is blocked off, if that is the vacuum you are talking about...what petcock is on the tank? I'm still lost  Grin Grin

A CV carb (constant velocity) uses vacuum to raise the slide in the carb. Nothing to do with the petcock Smiley

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 05/15/13 at 09:11:49

Dane Allen wrote on 05/15/13 at 09:04:18:

Wait, the vacuum line is blocked off, if that is the vacuum you are talking about...what petcock is on the tank? I'm still lost  Grin Grin

Not the vac line he's talking about.

Somewhere, there's a great diagram showing how the air flows thru the carb.

WWW   IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #27 - 05/15/13 at 15:49:07

here's a pic of the plate properly seated. i dont know why my phone decided to crop half of it off. i dont know what the dimple would be for other than a marker used to tell u which side fits proper. I have installed it with the dimple up and wouldn't have know it was wrong by feel of the bike. I had my doubts because when you install it dimple up nothing really lines up very good.

Anyway i reinstalled the orginal pilot (probably stock, the tops kind of messed up so I can't see any numbers), and dropped in a 152.5 main jst for fun... holy sh*t! way more power and a much much smoother power curve. only one little pop here and there when upshifting, nice smooth rumble on the way down. still get a backfire on shutdown.

051513132532_001.jpg

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #28 - 05/15/13 at 16:22:10

Numbers on the pilot jet are on the side right under the threads. And good its running better.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #29 - 05/15/13 at 16:59:02

oh the numbers are on the side? i'll check it out next time, that carburetors not coming off again today. actually I should clean out my shop and get some paintings done, im broke. oh thats another thing,,, I built a spray booth in my shop just big enough for a motorcycle. im pretty good with clear coat 'cause I use it to seal my paintings, but it would be nice to start shooting some solids and working on some bikes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 05:26:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › why does this have to be so difficult?¿?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.