Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
why does this have to be so difficult?¿? (Read 545 times)
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
why does this have to be so difficult?¿?
05/12/13 at 08:53:33

alright I have a question for every single one of you...

the picture attached is of the carburetor on my bike. my bike is a 2003 LS 650 Savage. when I remove the carburetor and take the top off and remove that weird vacuum needle slide assembly and look down into the carb at the air jets there are two, one big one small.

Now, The Jets that are in there now are not air jets, their fuel jets a #55 pilot and #155 main. I know because I put them there and what I removed were also not air Jet's they were also nor air jets.

I know the main air is supposed to be a 6mm hex.
No one on earth can tell me what size pilot air jet goes in there.
I've been getting this link a million times but that doesn't help me
http://suzukisavage.com/images/uploaded/CarbSpecs01web.jpg
the reason being is because there's no pilot air jet listed for my year. now since I know there's a spot for a pilot air jet because I put the pilot fuel jet there in its place,,,
WHAT IS THE DESIGNATION OF THE PILOT AIR JET SO I CAN GET ONE???? I DO NOT WISH TO KNOW ANY OTHER INFORMATION. I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT DIFFERENT CARBS IN DIFFERENT YEARS OF BIKES AND THIS AND THAT AND BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH. ALL I NEED IS THE DESIGNATION OF THE PILOT JET BE IT #WHATEVER OR HEX WHATEVER. IN FACT, I DARE YOU TO TELL ME WHAT PILOT AIR JET SHOULD BE IN THERE WITHOUT GIVING ME A BUNCH OF OTHER INFORMATION THAT DOESN'T MATTER. I DARE YOU.

Resampled_2013-04-29_12-44-20_442_001.jpg

'03 LS 650 bobber - Highly modified...crashed it.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: why does this have to be so difficult?¿?
Reply #1 - 05/12/13 at 09:47:49

The jets we replace are in the bowl,
Have you changed something else?
If so, turn around, go back to where ya came from & put it alll back like it was..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/12/13 at 09:55:17

No JOG,.. there are "air jets"... in the top, above the  slide diaphragm... I believe these regulate the amount of vacuum that is applied to pull the slide...(without them, the slide couldn't pull down)...

Sorry Boogie,  I don't have access to mine right now,... but, somebody will chime in shortly with your needed info...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 05/12/13 at 09:58:44

Ohh, well,, Dooo pahdun MEEE!! I do sooo apologize for a talkin when I had no clue whut I wuzza talkin ABout..
do carry on,, Smiley

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #4 - 05/12/13 at 10:16:53

LOL¡!¡! Ahh i needed that. I was starting to get real frustrated for a while. i have to remind myself not to take things so personal.
Nah ur alright Jog, im jst looking for some very specific information. actually I was able to get ahold of somebody and I think I have it down now. I'm about to go rebuild my carburetor right now. apparently there is actually two pilot air jets one looks like a pilot jet and the other one looks like a main jet but they're both pilot air jets and then there's the main air jet,, the air stuff is all up top, I just learned that today from Lancer.
 so I believe that the two pilot air jets are a #45 & a #230, and the main air jet is a #145. I have the Jets here in front of me, here is a picture, i'm about to go figure it out right now.

jet_one_modified.jpg

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #5 - 05/12/13 at 12:48:19

Also your bike as pictured won't work well in the vertical position no matter what jets you use  Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #6 - 05/12/13 at 16:47:17

haha yeah this is true.
  so this is what happened I took the top of the carburetor off and there is only 2 spots for air jets. so I called the local bike shop up and had them pull up a schematic of this carburetor. and lo and behold there is only 2 spots for jets. so we found that the pilot air jet for this carburetor is a #47 and the main air jet is a #230 (see picture). then I put the 155 Main and 55 w/bh where they are supposed to go in the bottom where the flow is. I should have taken a picture of the bottom and will when I take it apart again and I will post it because it doesn't look like any of the other pictures on this site.
  anyway it runs like a completely different bike. I tried tuning it but had to close the mixture screw completely (lean as possible). if I came out more than 1/4 turn the bike would bog way down, exhaust started smelling real nasty, and continuing to come out on the mixture screw killed it. so I think I'm going to go down one stage of fuel jets.

2013-05-12_12-46-06_708.jpg

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 05/12/13 at 16:56:53

Sounds like you are too rich on the #55 pilot jet and probably the 155 main as well. Thats strange as my bike with a stock exhaust and a K&N drop in filter will run fairly well on a 55 pilot with the mixture screw turned out 1.5 turns. I only have a 147.5 main though. I am at 500 ft above sea level.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 05/12/13 at 16:57:22

Hay! Lookie THERE!!! Jets! I Told you there was jets there!

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 05/13/13 at 10:02:07

whaddayaknow...i never even remember seeing those little buggers when I was modding my white spacer...

Boogieman, you really were replacing jets from the top...I stand corrected...but the jets I always replace are in the float bowl...

I learn something new everyday...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #10 - 05/13/13 at 10:27:27

Hahah! Yeah im finally starting to figure it out. I did end up finding some old posts of a guy who has a carburetor just like mine With some very good pictures of rebuilding it.
Anyway someone should change the file floating around this forum that shows the stock carburetor settings for each year; anything newer than 1995 on that sheet shows no air pilot,,, that made things real confusing for me in the beginning.

I do have a few more questions though,,, one that I always forget after messing with the needle and washers is to pay attention to that plate with a little dimple in it, is that dimple supposed to be facing up or down? hell you might not even be able to install it incorrectly because the way the holes are matched up.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 05/13/13 at 10:41:48

bumps down...don't strip those screws!!!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - 05/13/13 at 10:43:52

BTW, this is a great pictorial...I can't believe the pics are still there after all this time...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191899985

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #13 - 05/13/13 at 11:15:41

Accoring to the factory manual the dimple goes down on the spacer.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #14 - 05/13/13 at 11:18:25

Yep! That's the pictorial I was going off of.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 03:26:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › why does this have to be so difficult?¿?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.