Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about backfiring (Read 123 times)
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Question about backfiring
05/11/13 at 21:14:57

I understand that the Savage/s40 backfires normally as it comes right from the factory.  From this Savage website, I know this can be corrected with carburetor modifications.  However, let’s assume that I keep it original.  Does anyone know if this backfiring will eventually cause damage to the engine or the muffler over time?  I own another bike that will backfire when certain mechanical conditions are not correct.  The people on that website (for that particular bike) feel that the backfiring will cause damage to the engine over time (i.e. exhaust valve and muffler).  Does anyone here feel that the S40 backfiring will cause damage to the engine, or muffler, etc.  over time?  One last thought.  I live in California, and I see that the California S40 carburetor may be unique. … maybe even more restrictive and lean.
Open to your thoughts.

Thanks,
Ron G.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Question about backfiring
Reply #1 - 05/11/13 at 22:12:37

In theory,... huge afterfires ("backfires") can cause an exhaust air reversion that may effect the exhaust valves...(might effect something with time, if excessive)...
These are gun-crack explosions,... not usual pop, warble, blats...
If you're scaring pedestrians,.. I'd try to fix it... Huh...

If yer' muffler blows out from backfire,.. it was gonna' do it next week anyway...JMHO...
Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 05/12/13 at 04:34:08

+1 to Serow, pops and cracks are characteristic to big singles. The gun shots may or may not cause issues down the road, either with your bike or neighbor   Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 05/12/13 at 05:21:26

The only damage I ever see happening from my bike's backfiring, is horses running right thru fences like they don't even know their there. And that hasn't happened yet, but it had me holding my breath a couple times. So I really control the backfire whenever I see horses. I don't know what it is about a stupid horse, but they panic at backfire Shocked
I find the stock Savage backfire so easy to control w/ throttle positioning, I will never be concerned about it,......beside that I kinda like it,....I always liked attention ! Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/12/13 at 10:03:13

On the "Demo for buyer" run  I did last week, mine hadnt been started in about 2 months, got her fired up & off the choke after about 30 seconds of it gaggin & tryin to die every time Id twist the gas a little. Finally got it ready to roll, took it up the drive & about 50 feet down the road,raised the idle up, back to the shop, where it sat & idled & accepted quick throttle input & slappin shut, rumbling & grumbling, no BANG,, steady idles,
on shut off it gave a very gentle Plumphh..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/15/13 at 11:03:34

Thanks for all of your input.  Eases my mind...

Ron G

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 23:23:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question about backfiring

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.