Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Engine slowdown/death after letting go of throttle (Read 375 times)
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Re: Engine slowdown/death after letting go of thro
Reply #15 - 05/15/13 at 16:06:28

So how many tanks of gas since this started?

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
MeLikeBike

Newbie, but Goodie

Monroeville, PA
Reply #16 - 05/19/13 at 19:16:44

Only really been one tank.  I don't ride nearly enough Sad

So, i bumped up the idle to what I would think is well above 1000, or maybe 1200.  It seems to fix the problem of the slowdown.  There's a tiny bit of perceived dip when I rev the engine, but the idle seems to enforce a higher rpm.

I *did* notice a few posts in the forum regarding issues with the mix screw not really doing much...mine is the same way.  If I find the minimum numbers of turns out before it slows down (say 1 or 1.5), once I get above that, the engine runs the same all the way up to 4 turns out.  The carb tuning guides here imply that I should notice a narrower band of higher rpms (between 2 and 3 or so, right?)  I don't see that...it's either full speed or chug-to-death when I turn it way in.

Maybe that's another symptom of my (non)problem?  Again, this idle dipping is a new phenomenon (or newly noticed). Maybe a stuck slide or clogged needle?

2003 Savage LS650, Dyna, 2/3 Spacer
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #17 - 05/20/13 at 02:08:12

MeLikeBike wrote on 05/19/13 at 19:16:44:
Only really been one tank.  I don't ride nearly enough Sad

So, i bumped up the idle to what I would think is well above 1000, or maybe 1200.  It seems to fix the problem of the slowdown.  There's a tiny bit of perceived dip when I rev the engine, but the idle seems to enforce a higher rpm.

I *did* notice a few posts in the forum regarding issues with the mix screw not really doing much...mine is the same way.  If I find the minimum numbers of turns out before it slows down (say 1 or 1.5), once I get above that, the engine runs the same all the way up to 4 turns out.  The carb tuning guides here imply that I should notice a narrower band of higher rpms (between 2 and 3 or so, right?)  I don't see that...it's either full speed or chug-to-death when I turn it way in.

Maybe that's another symptom of my (non)problem?  Again, this idle dipping is a new phenomenon (or newly noticed). Maybe a stuck slide or clogged needle?

So I just reread this post and I noticed that you said you didn't have, or notice this issue before you washed the bike and adjusted the idle mixture screw. I don't see how washing the bike has anything to do with it, it's been long enough for everything to be nice and dry. But, why did you feel you needed to tune the carb after changing the rocker arms? Did it run differently at that time? Huh

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
MeLikeBike

Newbie, but Goodie

Monroeville, PA
Reply #18 - 05/20/13 at 05:16:13

Well, since the idle mixture plug had been taken out by the previous owner, I assumed that he may have monkeyed with it.  And since I replaced the rocker arms, I figured that that would affect the motor operation enough to justify an optimization.  

From what I read, the idle mix tuning seemed pretty straightforward, so I wasn't worried about messing things up too bad.  But as I said, the tuning suggesting of finding the narrow band of highest RPMs wasn't possible.  

Playing some of my old videos (from my rocker arm anguishing) has my idle much higher than I thought it was, so Serowbot and the others probably were right, and I was probably just dumb on this idle dipping thing.  I wish the bikes had a tach, so there wouldn't be the phantom memories kicking in of what my idle *was* vs what it really was.

I have a Dyna muffler and some HD clamps on order from Ebay, so I'll likely be diving into the mix tuning again, and from what I read, the white spacer mod.  So I'll likely have a look in the carb at some point...if there's a dead stinkbug or something in there, I'll let you all know  Wink

2003 Savage LS650, Dyna, 2/3 Spacer
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #19 - 05/20/13 at 06:11:08

If the carb is functioning normally then you should NOT be able to turn the pilot screw from 1-4 turns out without any change in the engine running.
Since you are now running fairly well then it might clear itself out with just more road time; see if it does.  If not then you can always pull it and do a thorough cleaning later.

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #20 - 05/20/13 at 15:41:38

Ditto what Lancer said. Besides you know you,re dying to tear that carb apart!  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 09:36:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine slowdown/death after letting go of throttle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.