Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: 87 Basket case project
Reply #15 - 05/19/13 at 19:24:12

No problem. Space them farther out, I use 2x3 mahogany scrap salvaged from an old packing crate.. Drill the wood to match the fender holes, then drill the bag backs to match the wood. Through bolt the entire mess together and it's good to go. But, I run Saddleman bags with hard bag inserts. If you have soft bags, add some 1/8" luan or similar doorskin to the rear panel to stiffen them up.

Like so:

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #16 - 05/20/13 at 15:01:13

What a great idea! I would have never thought of using wood! thats alot simpler than the brackets I made last time!
Thanks so much!

NEVER argue with a woman holding a torque wrench or a spray gun!
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #17 - 05/20/13 at 16:28:18

If you are going to walk into a regular lumber place or Lowe's/Home Depot I'd recommend Cedar if you are going to use wood ShovelBum, it's the best bang for your buck as far as weather resistant, durable, light and not too expensive.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #18 - 05/27/13 at 16:14:21

Well, I unplugged those vacuum caps today, Changed out my cracked, shredded belt (Thanks gdrseeker) and When I tried to turn her over... batts mostly dead. GRRR ok thats fine throw it on a charger. long story short, she tries to fire up but I gotta gets a bigga batt. The one out of the 250 just aint got it in her! At least she is trying to fire. Thanks again all of you.
Cant wait to get this thing going, I havent been on two wheels allllll year! And bike week is sooo close!

IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #19 - 05/27/13 at 17:53:18

Are you goin to Americade or Laconia?

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #20 - 05/27/13 at 17:57:54

Probably Laconia (I live about ten miles away) but I will be away for most of it, heading to AZ to see my folks!

IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #21 - 06/17/13 at 15:51:30

Well I ended up getting just an AGM batt mostly because the regular LAF was special order, Three parts stores later I found one that I could have for the next day. Put her in and Thump, Thump, Thump! SHE IS ALIVE!!!! Took her out for a little ride and... wow! Its a little torquey! Loved the ride. Still need to get a front tire (incase any of you have one sitting around that is a reasonably soft compound I have a shinko on the back) Because the Cheng Shin that is on there is so far beyond hard that it doesnt handle quite the way I had hoped. Never had a bike that understeered before!.
We took her over to Laconia Bike week on friday. My boyfriends bike is currently down, we have to do a head gasket so atleast we both got there on two wheels but she was "cozy" not really the bike I would want for doubles!

Thank you all for all the help with this little project, Although she still needs some more work to be where I want it to be she runs!

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #22 - 06/17/13 at 16:57:57

Glad to hear it is up and running! I have good luck with AGM type batteries. I like that it is sealed, no acid to mess with. Does your boyfriend ride a savage as well?

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #23 - 06/17/13 at 17:01:42

Nope he has a 1984 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo, He has this thing for turbos, turbo bike, turbo car. I was gonna mount a hair drier on my bike so that he would like it better! Its not a bad bike, but I cant ride it cause its too tall for me. He loves that thing more than me I think. Bought it before I was born, Almost creapy but then I realize how much I would love a 36 chevy pickup! Then its all good!

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 06/17/13 at 18:25:26

Hello shovelbum.  I was interested in your comment " Never had a bike that understeered before!."  No one ever seems to mention that here but it seems that way to me.  After I ride on my old Honda CB and then jump on the Savage I tend to steer way out on the turns and it seems to take a ton of force to tighten it up.  But after riding it for about ten minutes it all seems normal again.  It will turn tight, it just takes a little practice.

If Suzuki asked my how to make it a better bike I would say reduce the rake angle and put on some better rear shocks.  

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #25 - 06/17/13 at 18:30:26

I like the rake angle and the longer trail. Thats what makes it a cruiser.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #26 - 06/18/13 at 15:21:41

I have no trouble with the rake, What I mean by "understeering" is more of a push in the front end due to the cheap dry old nasty cheng shin on the front. Its just sort of sliding out from under me while trying to corner. But on the plus side, I think a new tire to match the shinko on the rear wont cost to much!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #27 - 06/18/13 at 16:07:20

80/90 or 90/90-19 is less than $30, plus shipping. Stock 100/90 is usually around $30-35 if you stay with Shinko or Duro.  The bike does steer a touch lighter with a 90/90 than the 100/90, and the 90/90 is a better fit with the scrawny stock hoop.

Have to swap both my tires out this year. Dunlop Qualifier rear 140/90-15 (close out for $36, normal price $126) and a 90/90-19 front, brand unknown. Vintage style semi-ribbed tire. Would prefer a 130/90-15 but couldn't beat the price on the Dunlop, and no great loss when I lace the rear hub to a 16" hoop later (better tire selection in 16 than in 15).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #28 - 06/18/13 at 16:13:19

where do you find the 100/90 19 for $35????!!!! I found it for 60 shipped and was excited!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #29 - 06/18/13 at 16:38:58

I shop for close out tires, pretty much exclusively. They were that low a couple months ago when I was looking. It kinda helps that I'm in the next day delivery zone for a couple major parts retailers... Look at oddball/off brands.

$60 shipped works out about right for a non-close out, non-premium tire.

If my front cheapy doesn't hold up to the roads down here, I'm going with a Dunlop 404. 44k miles in 18 months on a set of 80/90-21F and 150/80-16 rears, on a much more aggressive bike. And the tires had close to 50% tread left.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:28:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 87 Basket case project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.