Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
updates on my electrical troubles... (Read 143 times)
JPSBOBBER
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quebec, Canada
updates on my electrical troubles...
05/10/13 at 17:16:11

So I came back from work and tought, hey, I could try out my bike for the first time!! Sat down, turned on the ignition, nothing, on both handles....The bike ran well when i bought it and i never drove it... So heres wath i did on the bike that might have caused this

-Removed tank for painting,
-Relocated the rectifier on a painted bracket under the driver seat (is it grounded to the frame or something ???)
-Actually no rear fender, but swapped in for a trailer fender (I don't ride fenderless, don't worry)
-Installed Routys forward controls (kick stand switch ??)
-Rear brake light, plate light and turn signals disconnected since no fender
-starter relay now fastens to a painted bracket instead of being bolted to stock rear fender (and alternator touched a metal component, saw a spark, but i dont think this is it...)

Thanks a lot

« Last Edit: 05/12/13 at 16:22:08 by JPSBOBBER »  
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: No horn, no turn signals, no lights, no start.
Reply #1 - 05/10/13 at 18:02:50

Fuses?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 05/10/13 at 18:50:34

+1

Yup start with the fuses, if blown you might have rewired something wrong or caused a short when you moved/changed some wiring. I doubt your battery is dead, your bike's only been sitting a month.   Sad

If the fuses are OK, then retrace all wiring that you've done and make sure nothing is buggered. If a fuse is blow you either have a short or shorted something out while relocating/moving wiring most likely.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #3 - 05/11/13 at 01:25:58

After fuses, check harness connectors under the tank.  These can be bumped loose by putting the tank on, especially the left side.  To test, remove tank, reseat connectors, then try your key BEFORE you put the tank back on.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
JPSBOBBER
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quebec, Canada
Reply #4 - 05/12/13 at 15:14:09

So i DID reseat the connectors, but what mainly got me progressing, was that i removed positive cable on battery so it charged a little more, and i heard the spark clicking, so i removed my battery and plugged the battery charger on the battery, the charger read : "error"

So diagnosis: I screwed up the battery, the brand new battery.... Did it fail because of the bolt i dropped on battery cables that were on the starter relay ???  

Finally, I took a car battery I had, plugged booster cables on battery and on battery cables, and the baby fired up !! Lights worked and everything.

The other problem is, when i turn the ignition to "accessories", no lights turn on ?? Is it because the rear lights are unplugged ?? (brake turn signals and license plate light)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/12/13 at 16:40:02

JPSBOBBER wrote on 05/12/13 at 15:14:09:
So i DID reseat the connectors, but what mainly got me progressing, was that i removed positive cable on battery so it charged a little more, and i heard the spark clicking, so i removed my battery and plugged the battery charger on the battery, the charger read : "error"

So diagnosis: I screwed up the battery, the brand new battery.... Did it fail because of the bolt i dropped on battery cables that were on the starter relay ???  

Finally, I took a car battery I had, plugged booster cables on battery and on battery cables, and the baby fired up !! Lights worked and everything.

The other problem is, when i turn the ignition to "accessories", no lights turn on ?? Is it because the rear lights are unplugged ?? (brake turn signals and license plate light)

Did it fail because of the bolt i dropped on battery cables that were on the starter relay ???  

Well,, w/o details, we cant have a clue. Were there a lotta sparks? Did it melt any part of the bolt? How long was it there? Was it hot to the touch when you took it out?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JPSBOBBER
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quebec, Canada
Reply #6 - 05/12/13 at 17:05:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/12/13 at 16:40:02:
JPSBOBBER wrote on 05/12/13 at 15:14:09:

Did it fail because of the bolt i dropped on battery cables that were on the starter relay ???  

Well,, w/o details, we cant have a clue. Were there a lotta sparks? Did it melt any part of the bolt? How long was it there? Was it hot to the touch when you took it out?

There was a good spark, nothing melted, didnt notice heat, and stayed there for a minute or so, i wasnt able to reach it

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Re: updates on my electrical troubles...
Reply #7 - 05/12/13 at 17:22:44

Well,, if it wasnt hot when you got to it it wasnt carrying a ton of current. So, it must not have been a short the whole time it was there. Initially, when it made the sparks, it was shorting the battery to ground. Had it landed where it was continuing to do that the current flow woulda had it HOT, possibly caused the battery to warp plates & POssibly short internally & make a big noise, I believe thats possible, tho, not exactly likely. MOre along the lines of not impossible, unlikely.. But if the bolt was shorting the battery out, it woulda been hot.
\Id take the battery to be tested, Maybe it did get physically injured by having a high current flow./
Dont start it up w/ the battery dead & generally "uNKNOWN CONDITION" & USE THE  oops,, charge system to charge it up.
If you dont have a good charger, you need one, I have 2 ( ONe, the new on, on sale HF, has "start" & charge & trickle options. It charged the backhoe battery up in just a few hours after I left the key on. Ive always hadda haul that things battery for help, because the old one is just 6 amp & it wont charge it up in 2 days..& I have float chargers for each bike & the lawnmower. Owning stuff that uses a battery makes having battery maintenance tools just part of life. My load tester died. Im gonna get another one one day,, I hope.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 05/12/13 at 18:21:42

Quote:

The key position you're calling "accessory", Suzuki actually calls "park".
The only thing that comes on in that position is the tail light. So if your tail light isn't connected turning the key to that position won't do anything.

Once you hook the tail light back up be aware that the key can be removed from the switch when it's turned to "park". It's easy to turn the key to "park" instead of "off", stick the key in your pocket, and come back a few hours later to discover that your battery is dead. Don't ask how I know this Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 05/12/13 at 21:53:48

If you wanna know how he knows that, you could ask me,,

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #10 - 05/13/13 at 04:14:55

LOL   Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 01:23:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › updates on my electrical troubles...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.